Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB disconnecting regularly

• 10-04-2005 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Since the upgrade my IOLBB Plus connection has been diconnecting every so often. It happened about 6 times last night.

Every so often it will just come up "modem cable disconnected".

Sometimes I wait a minute and it seems to find itself again and I can get back online. Other times disconnecting/reconnecting modem won't even work but a restart solves the problem. I've checked all wires and cables and they are fine.

I have a ZyXEL Prestige 630 modem, the one they were giving out in 2003.
    Fairly clueless about port forwarding etc. but would appreciate any suggestions on the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

So it's an IOL problem and not a hardware problem then? Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Happening to me as well - every so often getting disconnected - sometimes its ok overnight, sometimes it goes twice in an hour. On the Merrion exchange by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 luketheone

That happens to me too - disconnecting for some unknown reason. I have to restart the modem to get online again. I sent an email to iol tech support and they said they would log a fault. But they may have been talking about the fact that I'm connecting at 1mb instead of 2, apparently things are still being worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

I'm on Eircom and getting disconnected regularly iswell, but I suspect its my line CRC errors, I never had these problems on 512 speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

What is the noise attenuation and SNR for your line in the router settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Excuse my ignorance, don't know much about this type of thing but could it be that the modem isn't able to handle the 2MBs?

Seems like a stupid question now I've written it down, but may as well ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Afaik IOL are still having problems. I would ring tech support to see anyway, but it *should* be ok later on in the week.

I would reset the router and try again in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I got the same thing this morning but the router said connected and the green internet light was on but i couldnt connect to the "outside world" i checked all the computers on the network and they had the same fault, so i rebooted the router got the same light green but no connection, but after a hour or so i got an email so the service is up again for me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'm going crazy with this problem. I can't say connected for more then 5 minutes. Whats strange is each time I reconnect, my inital connection speed drops. At the moment it's 1.9Mbps with one disconnection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im back down to 512k..who do I ring about this ? Anyone have the number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Can anyone who is having disconnection problems please, if you can, locate your "line noise" and "line attenuation" figures and post them here. All of these 1mbit and 2mbit upgrades really show up bad phone lines and/or if you live a few kilometers from the exchange.

To locate these figures, you will need to view the settings of your ADSL modem. Both the Zxytel and Netopia ADSL modems have "diagnostic" pages which will list such information.

IOL BB users, please bear in mind, IOL does renew your IP address every 24 hours which can cause a momentery disconnect - so it could be that.

- Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive been kinda dissed a lot today . i wouldnt be able to view websites but i would still be connected ( to irc , teamspeak ). ive also notised im not connected at 998 kbs not 1024 as was the case yesterday .

ill give them another ring 2mor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

That would suggest normaly that you have a virus but aloha i have the same problem and im a computer protection nerd. lol. And i definately have no viruses.

I am suffering with IOL disconnecting iregularly, it could be grand for a whole week and then i could have this problem non stop for 3 hours or so for one day.

I have also noticed im online, web browsers stop working, or slow down but other programs like elexes suggested still work like teamspeak, msn, gmail notifier etc. It is also common for me not to be able to connect to teamspeak or msn at times but my browser is working grand.

IOL:SUCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Im very on educated in the area of broadband internet. but i understand each of the above programs including windows explorer all connect on different ports and possibly IOL shut down these ports for a strange reason every now and then????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Tusky wrote:
    Im back down to 512k..who do I ring about this ? Anyone have the number?

Tech Support = 1890 923 111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

As myself and Theonernt suggested, post the noise attenuation and SNR readings from the line condition page of your router. A 2Mb link is much more sensitive to noise than 512Kb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

im havign the problem with eircoms enhanced package.
    it is driving me nuts, i keep having to restart my ssh session every few minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

argghhhh jesus christ the actual connection issues seems to have gotten stabler this afternoon but the download speeds are up and down and all over the place, very irritating !

suppose its a matter of waiting for it to be sorted out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I had problems similar to those described here. But not since I changed my DNS addresses to those of Eircom and UTV. I copped it when websites would not work when IP connectivity still did.

Try these:
    UTV DNS server - 195.218.116.2
    Eircom DNS primary server - 159.134.237.6

Advertisement