Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldwater Fish

Options
  • 10-04-2005 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I've just got an aquarium that is 4 foot in lenght and was wondering if anyone can give me a list of coldwater fish (besides goldfish) to stock it with.

And if anyone can tell me where a good place to buy these fish would be greatly apreciated.

Slainte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Hiya

If its a new tank its important to let it cycle first,. so get a couple if hardy fish to cycle your tank for you and after a month your pretty much ready to go,

I have Seen Around mountain minnows which are cold water. Some Shrimp also will tolorate cold water, And some craps,

Shrimp and craps are hard to come across from my experience and Everyone seems To stock standard to fancy gold fish Im afraid,

what temprature you talking about?

Heaters are so cheap, ebay is your best bet , some great new heaters on offer and really cheap

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Me again

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/coldwaterfish.htm

give you a good idea of what you could add,

Danios are really hardy and great for cycling your tank and rosy bards a group of 10 or more look really well.

Hope this helps

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

even if you do go with goldfish if you buy a cheap heater and increase the temp over a period of weeks they will grow much quicker and with that size tank you will have to have the filter etc. so a few quid on heater is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

in a coldwater tank its easy to keep any of the native fish Exept pike or perch. Roach or dace or minnows from the streams are easy enough to catch,
    Sticklebacks from the canal Tench are a good bet Most of the others get too big to keep in that tank
    Regards
    www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
    Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

Advertisement