Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 3341, wireless router, small network help needed

Options
  • 10-04-2005 11:08am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying share by broadband properly, i had it working with the adsl plugged in to the base computer wired network card, and a wireless network pci card sharing it to a laptop using Internet conneciton sharing. This is ok, but you need to have the base computer turned on at all times to surf wirelessly.

I also have a linksys wireless access point router with four port switch. Model BEFW11S4. I've plugged the adsl (netopia 3341) into the wan port, and the network card from the base computer to the 1 port on the router, which should allow the base computer to connect to the modem. Can't though. Was wondering am I using the correct cat5 cables. The cat5 is actually two of the same type of cable that came with adsl modems, don't know are they straight through or crossovers. When trying to run the set up in this case I can't get it to access the router in this config.

It works (shared file access) when I hace the adsl plugged into port 1 and the base computer plugged into port 2. The laptop can browse the shared files on the desktop (base computer)

Is it just the wrong cable I'm using?

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I think you've got the correct wires, but you have setup problems.

If you plug the modem into a LAN port (as opposed to the WAN), then the wireless access point does not act as a router at all, but only as a hub (both wired and wireless). If connects all your devices together.

However, if you plug the modem into the WAN port, the device needs to be configured for proper routing. Most likely you got a firewall on it as well.

What I would do is enable bridging in your modem. This will completely inhibit all its LAN features, will make it act like a dumb modem (no routing, no nothin), and you will use these features from your wireless accesspoint/router/firewall device.

Good luck.

Advertisement