Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

problem with xp pro SP2

• 10-04-2005 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

when i start the pc from cold it doesnt go thru the normal procedure before of fully booting to the main windows screen with the start and programs menus instead going to the user screen (like when u log out)then when u click on ur log in name it then goes to the main screen. im the only user set up on it so its annoying.

how do i fix it, it didnt do it b4? could it be a software conflict etc?thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

START - SETTINGS - CONTROL PANEL - USER ACCOUNTS - 'Change the way a user logs on and off'

Untick 'Use the Welcome Screen'
    Untick 'Use Fast User Switching'

This generally only happens when you install .net framework, did you install this with SP2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Boggles if he does that as far as i know it reverts to a 2000 type logon which means he has to pres ctrl-alt-delete to logon.

You can change that i think in admin tools, local security settings, local policies, security options, dissable ctrl-alt-del (usually undefined) so define it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Saruman wrote:
    Boggles if he does that as far as i know it reverts to a 2000 type logon which means he has to pres ctrl-alt-delete to logon.

You can change that i think in admin tools, local security settings, local policies, security options, dissable ctrl-alt-del (usually undefined) so define it there.

Your right, apologies read the post wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

yep installed .net yes just recently, il try out the suggestions and get back thanks :)

following both above suggestions nah, its got rid of the user screen allright but instead when u turn it on it goes to a screen that asks for the password and then only when u click ok it boots to the normal screen.u stil have to click ok though.
    isnt there any way of bypassing this without uninstalling .net?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's XP home isn't it ?
    The logon is one of the few differences tween pro and I Hates it..

If you are the only user and security isn't an issue
    you could try AutoLogon on http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml

It works with other versions of windows, ( but then again so do logon scripts )

It's XP home isn't it ?

its xp pro im using thanks for the advice any other advice?

It's XP home isn't it ?

If you are the only user and security isn't an issue
    you could try AutoLogon on http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml

It works with other versions of windows, ( but then again so do logon scripts )

thanks just what i needed autologon works a treat, thanks again :)

can i ask how ud disable the autologin program, it doesnt appear in the start menu :confused:

edit:figured it out, just rerun the autologin.exe script and click disable. :)

Advertisement