Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plates

Options
  • 10-04-2005 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

does anyone know what the craic is with personalising a number plate on a just registered Irish car. I've been searching the net and the only info I can find is for UK cars. Is it possible? who supplies them? cost of registering? how long it takes? soz for all the q's :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

what do you mean by personlising?

The actual number or the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

quarryman wrote:
    what do you mean by personlising?

The actual number or the style.

i think shifty means by personalising the number plate, that he wants to put his name on it or something like that.I have always wondered if you could personalise your number plate in ireland & i have never seen one done in ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The nearest you will get is if you buy a new car from a garage with a block of regs and hope one suits. In the UK you can sell and change plates, not here.

Oh and I really hate those plates in script font - thankfully they are being clamped down on too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Shifty wrote:
    does anyone know what the craic is with personalising a number plate on a just registered Irish car. I've been searching the net and the only info I can find is for UK cars. Is it possible? who supplies them? cost of registering? how long it takes? soz for all the q's :)
    see http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but if you read halfway down this you will see that it says "Vanity/personalised registration plates are illegal". :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Oh and I really hate those plates in script font - thankfully they are being clamped down on too.

oh jeez you are boring :p its nice to have something different every once and a while

I know you can get specific numbers for the plate, I was told yesterday that there is a Seat Ibiza going round with a very similar plate to this:

license_plate.jpg

on the border of legality, infact its illegal to mess with the fonts but its a nice idea

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This crowd do these type if that is what you want.

http://www.fancyplates.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Has anybody ever noticed that nearly all the vehicles in Donegal use smaller (in height) and 'fatter' digits on their euro plates ?!
    (I reckon dealers/motor factors there must get their plate machines (or plates made up) in the North)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Where i work we have a special printer and there is a program or you can just type the reg on word and the print it works well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Where i work we have a special printer and there is a program or you can just type the reg on word and the print it works well.

Me too m8, its works on a simple lappy with the obvious printer. The deal is You can't change ANYTHING from a standard boring euro plate...You will get an NCT fail, or at least they are supposed to fail em.

We had to stop making quirky designed plates cuz guys were failing thier tests.
    As to personel plates, Not in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I have seen 'personalised' plates on many cars.
    However, they are supposed to be for 'show use only'.

As for personalised reg numbers - the closest you can get is to pre-book a particular reg number for a new car. Usually only relevant where the vehicle has a model number, i.e. 06-WW-740 for a BMW 740, 06-LM-500 for a Merc SL500, etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

thanks guys, thought as much about changing plates, as i've never seen them about. S :) saved me a few pointless phonecalls...

Advertisement