Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dear Jenny Huston..........

• 10-04-2005 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

I like your show but will you please stop playing f**king Interpol every single night!

Yours faithfully,

Zane from MTV2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Interpol are good

but I would agree her playlists can be a bit predictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Jeez I think I have listened to her show maybe twice and on about occasions she wouldnt shut up about Interpol. Although I quite like Interpol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

I presume you're talking about the shows this week? She managed to get a night off to go the Olympia (Cormac Battle was on instead) so I guess if you were normally only able go to gigs that were on a Saturday or a Sunday 'cause you're working every other night you'd be pretty excited as well! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

why not ring in or text in to give her your grievances? i'm sure those 4 minutes when interpol play are so horrific it renders you numb, stopping you from actually changing the station or complaining to her directly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I somehow doubt Jenny Huston is a regular frequenter of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Who the f uck is Jenny Huston? (Heuston?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

It's Huston, and sure enough, Interpol are on her last playlist:

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/jennyhuston.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Christ, she's got a face like a battered mars bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

i met her at the interpol aftershow party, she's sound enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Her playlist is quite good actually. Maybe shes a Joe Whiley type though, only likes a band because its "cool" to like them, Whiley pisses me off bigtime.

Jenny Huston was born and raised in the West Coast of Canada where her Irish parents relocated in the late 60's. She broke into radio via her University station CFUV, a campus/community station at the University of Victoria, where she presented an afternoon rock show while finishing a BA in Psychology. Jenny moved to Ireland in 1996, where she cut her teeth working with Radio Kilkenny doing slots on Friday and Saturday nights.

Jenny moved up to Dublin after a couple of years to do a Higher Diploma in Arts Administration at UCD. Phantom FM, one of Dublin's pirate stations, was starting to make waves around this time and Jenny joined the crew in 1999. She co-presented 'the grrly hour' and produced and presented The Waiting Room. The Waiting Room now calls RTÉ 2FM home! During the day Jenny was General Manager of The Corn Exchange, a multi award winning independent theatre production company. She produced the productions CAR SHOW, FOLEY, LOLITA and most recently MUD.

A very happy Jenny joined RTÉ 2FM in July 2003. Jenny was a contributor on the new TV entertainment show ID+ for RTÉ Network 2. Interviewing the bands Franz Ferdinand, Ash and The Shins

Ah, now I understand.

Today FM recruits fat canadian bint Alison from Phantom FM ("My show's named after a Breeders Song!")

RTE recruits other fat canadian bint Jenny from Phantom FM to compete. ("My show's named after a Fugazi song!")

Do we not have any fat Irish bints who can cobble together an "Indie 101" playlist out of CDs they get in the post and call their radio programme something blindingly obvious like "Teen Spirit"?

I can only hope that some god-awful Canadian college rawk station has the Jacinta and Gubnet Indie Hour to balance this bad radio karma.

This is why my radio stays firmly in the 'off' position.
    A very happy Jenny joined RTÉ 2FM in July 2003
    Happy/ Incredulous no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Indie 101 is right, even down to Creep (acoustic)

Trendy kids will be crying in their pillows tonight.

Just had a look at her other playlists. F uck this. I'm putting on a Wig, a half inch of make-up, a Babes in Toyland T-Shirt and a half-arsed Mid-Atlantic accent and getting myself down to RTE with my collection of "Now That's What I Call Indie" CDs.

From hereonin I shall be known as Judith and you can tune in to my show "Monkey Gone to Heaven" every bloody day from now until Irish punters develop a brain and demand some half-decent programming.

Now listen to The Bravery.... suffer my pretties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Once again Magpie demonstrates his complete inability to understand music, the mass media and reality in general ...

Your opinion on music is one thing but to bluntly insult individuals as you did in your previous post shows a miserable level of your intelligence and wit that I always suspected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

I actually quite liked what magpie had to say.

Alot of those songs are sent in by record companies and it's very predictable.

Dan hergarty's playlist is alot better but still always the stuff you'd expect to hear.

I for one would like to see thise kind of music played in the morning and afternoon time slots. i see no reason why not.

I like very few shows on radio and even my own show i found it hard to listen to although i was always happy with my mix of music because i felt the music i played was good and the mix had my own personal touch.

Phantom had a great breakfast show with steve conway and although i did'nt like the music all the time it was nice to flick between it and morning ireland.

Magpie resorted to personally insulting the named presenters indicates clearly that he nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion and lacks the brainpower he refers to.

No job on Today FM for you Brian?

Why would there be?

Let's examine Brian's reactions to negative comments about his Radio chums in detail:
    Once again Magpie demonstrates his complete inability to understand music, the mass media and reality in general ...

Your opinion on music is one thing but to bluntly insult individuals as you did in your previous post shows a miserable level of your intelligence and wit that I always suspected.
    Magpie resorted to personally insulting the named presenters indicates clearly that he nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion and lacks the brainpower he refers to.

So, point by point:

1) complete inability to understand music

How is this demonstrated by my post Brian? I would have thought its quite the contrary, since I can spot the playlists of your pals as being obvious, uninspired and nothing more than a pay-for-play of current indie, with the occasional pixies track thrown in for good measure. If I wanted to listen to a 16 year old NME reader's music collection I would. I don't expect to hear it from music 'experts' on the radio. Especially ones old enough to know better, e.g. 'Jenny' and 'Alison'.

2) The mass media.

Of course Brian, I'm just a listener and therefore my opinions mean nothing right? So we should just sit meekly listening to the correct music for our demographic as picked by Record Companies and Advertisers to best assist in the sale of Runners, Mobile Phones, Ipods and any other tat that radio is used to flog to 18-35 year old ABC1s (see your business plan for more info).

3) Reality in general.

Hyperbole? What hyperbole?

4) Magpie resorted to personally insulting the named presenters

How? They are fat, they are Canadian, and they are women (or bints if you're from Dublin). Where's the insult? Oh, and the names of their shows and their pluglists are mind-numbingly obvious.

• Advertisement

Wow! You clearly believe the rubbish you write, I can't argue with that nor am I bothered to entertain your childish ramblings at this stage. Do you want to insult me? You can call me fat and bald if you like if it helps you.

Let us know when you return to the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

magpie wrote:
    Let's examine Brian's reactions to negative comments about his Radio chums in detail:

So, point by point:

1) complete inability to understand music

How is this demonstrated by my post Brian? I would have thought its quite the contrary, since I can spot the playlists of your pals as being obvious, uninspired and nothing more than a pay-for-play of current indie, with the occasional pixies track thrown in for good measure. If I wanted to listen to a 16 year old NME reader's music collection I would. I don't expect to hear it from music 'experts' on the radio. Especially ones old enough to know better, e.g. 'Jenny' and 'Alison'.

2) The mass media.

Of course Brian, I'm just a listener and therefore my opinions mean nothing right? So we should just sit meekly listening to the correct music for our demographic as picked by Record Companies and Advertisers to best assist in the sale of Runners, Mobile Phones, Ipods and any other tat that radio is used to flog to 18-35 year old ABC1s (see your business plan for more info).

3) Reality in general.

Hyperbole? What hyperbole?

4) Magpie resorted to personally insulting the named presenters

How? They are fat, they are Canadian, and they are women (or bints if you're from Dublin). Where's the insult? Oh, and the names of their shows and their pluglists are mind-numbingly obvious.

Hurler on the ditch :rolleyes:

Wow! You clearly believe the rubbish you write, I can't argue with that nor am I bothered to entertain your childish ramblings at this stage. Do you want to insult me? You can call me fat and bald if you like if it helps you.

Let us know when you return to the real world.

I've got no interest in insulting you, as I don't know who you are, nor do I know anything about you, nor do I care. Indeed we wouldn't even be having this little chat if you hadn't jumped into this discussion hurling accusations and abuse everywhere.

However, if you go ahead and start broadcasting a sh1te radio programme I'm afraid I reserve the right to criticise it in public, much as I reserve the right to criticise Jenny Huston's sh1te radio show, and Alison Whatsername's sh1te radio show. Just because they're your friends doesn't exempt them from criticism, and unfortunately their bland mediocrity invites it from anyone with ears.

I take it you'll also be jumping to the defence of Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy in all of the many threads on this site attacking them?

Its interesting that you didn't take issue with the person who pointed out that Jenny Huston has a face like a battered Mars Bar, but then again he didn't point out uncomfortable truths about record company playlists and advertising did he?

I do live in the real world and I'm part of the target market for the radio shows we're talking about. You won't get very far if you start ranting and accusing people who voice criticism of not living in the real world. If you don't listen to your listeners, who at the end of the day pay your wages, then you're f ucked. And rightly so. It seems that Phantom has already developed a finely honed disdain for its listenership, if, indeed you speak for the station. I would have thought a spokesperson for a professional station would exhibit a little more composure and restraint.

I look forward to listening to the "MCD Clearchannel Top 40 Show in association with Carlsberg" in the near future.
    Hurler on the ditch

Sorry, I don't understand GAA speak.

Re you talking about my postings? You talk about my "friends", "ranting" and "accusing" people, lack of "composure and restraint"- perhaps you can clarify. You quite a number of unsubstantiated allegations in your post. I haven't read the posts on Tubridy and Ryan but when I do I might make a posting or two.

Let me also clarify, that Phantom does indeed listen to the opinions of its listeners about the station and music in general and indeed what they say about other stations. I don't however have much regard for the opinions of those who simply "slag off" other individuals as part of the arguement.

magpie wrote:
    Sorry, I don't understand GAA speak.
    Hurler on the ditch

phr. n.

Non-participating critic who thinks they can do better

Non-participating critic who thinks they can do better

Aha, so in a GAA - Hip Hop dictionary the translation would be 'playa hata'?
    I don't however have much regard for the opinions of those who simply "slag off" other individuals as part of the arguement

OK, disregard the bits you find insulting.

However I'm genuinely interested to see what you think about Jenny Huston's playlists basically consisting of the CDs she got in the post from the Record Company, with the occasional obvious Pixies track thrown in.

For instance, this playlist looks a bit more interesting. Can you give this guy a show?

It's not a GAA term, it's an Irish term, you know that place you're living in. ;)

Noise Annoys is a good show, I don't think it's done by the same people anymore though, I actually do a show on the same station.

Here's today's playlist, I do hope it meets your approval :)

Deceptacon - Le Tigre
    Summer - Modest Mouse
    Victoria - The Fall
    Laundry Baskets - Aqueduct
    Heartworm - Four Volts
    Wake Up - Arcade Fire
    The Owls Go - Architecture In Helsinki
    Elevation - Open
    The Commuter - Simple Kid
    Fevered - The Stills
    Summer Lovers - Beats For Beginners
    Pepper - Butthole Surfers
    Smile Like You Mean It - The Killers (a request)
    Tiny European Cars - Clem Snide
    My Love Has Gone - Josh Rouse
    Miniature Disasters - KT Tunstall
    Seventeen - Ladytron

It's not a GAA term, it's an Irish term, you know that place you're living in.

Whatever you say Patsy-Joe
    Here's today's playlist

Never heard of half of it, which means I'd be interested in checking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Ok, their playlists are a subjective thing...but fat?

Eh no they're bleedin not.

Even if they were, they're on the radio you muppet. I think it'd be a struggle to find it visally offensive - but I'm sure you'd find a way.

• Advertisement

Jesus. You fat people are so uptight.

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.radiowaves.fm/newspapers/2FM/HotPress_30June03.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.radiowaves.fm/newspapers/2FM/HotPress_30June03.shtml&h=255&w=240&sz=11&tbnid=4mjUMvwlUjkJ:&tbnh=105&tbnw=99&start=5&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djenny%2Bhuston%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

And what is it with 2FM and TodayFM copying each other? Today FM sign up failed musician Tom Dunne for their 'alternative' show, then RTE sign up failed musician Cormac Battle for theirs.

John Peel, if you can hear me, come back, we need your help.

Advertisement