Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle Test: U-Turn not possible

Options
  • 10-04-2005 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I've no problem with the balance, slow speed etc... during the u-turn... but if the bike can't possibly make a complete u-turn within the width of the residential street because it doesn't steer as much as other motorbikes, how should I proceed ?

1. tell the tester before?

or

2. stop without hitting the kerb, put a foot down, push back a few feet and complete the u-turn ?

On these pages http://msa-ireland.com/licenses.htm http://www.magireland.org/inf_DrivingTest.htm it says "you will be asked to do a U turn in a quiet road which would normally be about 26 feet wide" I can't tell you that the residential streets around Churchtown are not 26 feet wide.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I had a simillar problem on my run in the Chruchtown test centre..
    I mentioned it to the tester, but he just scoffed, and said he'd seen hundreds of simillar bikes make that U-Turn. So I asked him was it allright to use the lip of someone's driveway, and he said that was fine...

What are you riding, a Goldwing? ;)

According to Mag Ireland:At some stage you will be asked to do a U turn in a quiet road which would normally be about 26 feet wide.

You are expected to do this turn ‘feet up’, but points may not be lost for using a foot to steady the bike. In the case of some race replica and full-dressed tourers, you may not be able to ‘do it in one’ so you are permitted to do a 2-point turn. What you have to do is show that you are in full control, and keeping a good lookout for any traffic, while performing the manoeuvre.

Good luck with the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Thanks Krusty this is very helpful, But what's a "2 point turn" ?
    I know what a "3 point turn" but "2 point" I wonder what that is.

I ride a Ducati 600 Monster and the design of the frame limits the turning radius. http://www.ducatisuite.com/needtoknow.html

The first time you ride one at slow speed and try a u-turn or a really narrow corner you'd think something is wrong... then you get used to it and learn how to anticipate and do these turns. The low center of gravity makes the Monster really stable at slow speed. But in the case of the test, most streets around churchtown are too narrow by one foot or two to complete the u-turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

Krusty has the right idea with the driveway thing, But I don't know what the tester would think if you did it without asking first.

If you're lucky you might get a tester who really knows his stuff and already knows about this problem but if he doesn't I'm sure he'll be able to see that you're doing the smallest U you can and give you the appropriate mark

OK this is what I'll do.

- Explain to him that the bike can't make the complete u-turn due to its limited sterring radius design
    - Ask him if I can use the lip of someone's driveway

- Check behind me and my surroundings for traffic, bicycles, pedestrians...
    - Select my indicator
    - Check again quickly
    - Start the u-turn and end up by one foot or two on somebody's drive away, now facing the other direction
    - Stop and put a foot down
    - Check behind me for incoming traffic, bicycles, pedestrian...etc...
    - Complete the u-turn by getting back on the road
    (I guess this is the 2-point turn)

- Switch off my indicator
    - Check behind me
    - Stop

You got the idea, but I don't know if you meant it, but you shouldn't be stopped on someone's driveway. When you've completed the turn you need to park back beside the kerb. In other words, do the whole maneuver in one movement, if you know what I mean. You're just using the person's driveway to give yourself a greater turning circle. And remember, don't use your front breaks during the U-turn, as they'll unsettle the handling of the bike. Use the rear break to control your speed during the maneuver..

If you have a chance, do some lessons woth an instructor, who knows the in's and out's of Churchtown. I recommend the IRTA. I did about 4/5 hours with these guys, and sailed through the test..

• Advertisement

I did mean to stop on the drive way to check behind me before getting back onto the road... but I think you're right I shouldn't stop but I'll still make sure I check behind before getting off the drive way back onto the road.

It should be no different from the normal u-turn, you're just using the driveway for a little more space. Don't spend too much time checking the second time, you don't want to upset your concentration from the move in hand.

Just make sure that the road is clear both ways before you move away from the kerb, indicate, check both ways again, and make the turn..

Good luck!

I went for a pratice, I was able to check behind before getting back on the road, a bit tricky but it work. We'll see.

Well... we ended up on a road wide enough to complete the u-turn without any problem. I passed.

The fact that they are now using a radio for bike testing means that you don't follow the "usual" residential routes. In way I prefer that.

The tester was very professional, distant and emtionless but not unfriendly.

I sure wasn't the best rider his ever seen attempting the test, but I was prepared. Didn't take any training but forced myself to ride properly for a few days and it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

uteotw wrote:
    Well... we ended up on a road wide enough to complete the u-turn without any problem. I passed.

Well done. Apply for the full licence ASAP. 2 year restriction is counted from the time the licence is issued, not when you pass the test. Then get onto your insurance company to get refund on insurance. A provisional licence means a 25%-35% loading on the premium.
    uteotw wrote:
    I sure wasn't the best rider his ever seen attempting the test, but I was prepared. Didn't take any training but forced myself to ride properly for a few days and it did the trick.
    When you get back your premium, invest a few quid in training. Learn to ride better and safer. You might also enjoy it. It's your life, make sure it lasts as long as you need...
    <FX dismounts hobby horse/>

• Advertisement

I got my 1st provisional before 17 Nov 1999 so the restriction doesn't apply.
    Never thought I would stay long enough to need a full licence.

By, "I wasn't the best rider" I meant not the best at riding exactly by the book the way a tester wants to see it. In a perfect worl everybody would drive like that all the time. I've always known how to check blind spots, use indicators, especially in roundabouts. I've now 16 years riding experience, 10 on all sorts of 125cc, I didn't need more and couldn't affort more anyway. At the time I had to pass a "proper" test for it back home that includes a lot more than just the walking pace and u-turn as far as bike control is concerned. I didn't have any problem on the recent snow. Living and riding in Ireland has just increased my total mistrust of any other vehicule on the road as nobody seems to know or care about the basics of driving.

Well done! So whereabouts did they make you do the U-Turn?
    Did the tester get out of the car to give you instructions?

I did the walk pace and the u-turn in the same street.
    See attached map.

After the round about he asked me to stop. He then stepped out and instructed me follow him at a walking pace, then stop the engine to dismount, put the bike on its stand, I also had to walk with the bike, then start again and due the u-turn.

The blue circled areas on the map mean that I'm not 100% sure of the streets we took. Now that they have the radios they can take you anywhere they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

Congratulations, I hope I can do the same when mine comes around. I only have to wait another 6 months, /me groans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Congrats on passing your test mate. I did it in Churchtown last august and when i was doing the u-turn i put my foot down and got marked down on it, but not enough to fail as i was still in control of the bike. Now go get your licence!

Advertisement