Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours have broadband, but line test fails!

• 10-04-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

how come when i do eircoms line test it tells me it failed but when i typed in my two neighbours number it past. one neighbour lives 3 doors down on my left side of my house and my other neighbour live 2 doors down to my right? how come my neighbours can get it and i cant?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ring Eircom and schedule a new line test. Make sure your phone sockets aren't overloaded with two/three phones. Ideally, you'll want just one phone connected to the primary socket when the line test occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 cman

thanks for dat info but now when i go in2 the line test the page won't display at all and i've tried refreshing the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

cman, your in the exact same position as me. :mad:
    I cannot get Eircom broadband due to a failed line test, even though most of my road and my next door neighbour can. They told me it was due to splitters on some of the lines around my area, maybe the same problem you have.
    Splitters is when lazy ass Eircom decided to do a rushed job and share one basic line between two or more houses, therefore decreasing your lines power. But it doesn't occur to Eircom that they should fix this problem, all i ever hear from them is "Ah it's a big job and we couldn't possibly tell you when you will be upgraded, more than likely not in the near future"
    They call themselves a ISP :rolleyes:

gazza why don't you try smart broadband's line test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

In the case of your line being split, some people suggested getting in ISDN, which forces eircom to repair the line, then apply for broadband and get the ISDN downgraded. Risky but it's an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

well if i failed the Eircom line test, would that not rule out the other ISP's that rent off Eircom?
    Yeah that's an option Giblet, oh and good luck with the job

well i'm done smarts line test and i passed. but one of my neighbours only passed the test a few weeks ago

well i'm done smarts line test and i passed. but one of my neighbours only passed the eircoms line test a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

cman wrote:
    thanks for dat info but now when i go in2 the line test the page won't display at all and i've tried refreshing the page
    To get the Eircom test page to appear try disabeling pop ups...
    Giblet is spot on re the test ... Mine was showing Fail untill I retested. With regard to Smart the line test on thier site will pass your number once it is on an exchange they have or are going to enable.. Although I do believe ADSL2 will have a higher pass rate over greater distance.

how do i disable pop ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Use a decent browser like Firefox.

On IE go to tools/ pop up blocker..

beller b wrote:
    To get the Eircom test page to appear try disabeling pop ups...
    Giblet is spot on re the test ... Mine was showing Fail untill I retested. With regard to Smart the line test on thier site will pass your number once it is on an exchange they have or are going to enable.. Although I do believe ADSL2 will have a higher pass rate over greater distance.

it doesn't matter bout the pop up blocker it wont work. can u tell me how smart test there lines and what adsl2 is and how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi,
    I've a friend from Hillcrest, Lucan, who's failed Eircom's line-test, but his mate across the road passed it. I'm just wondering has this happened to many people there, and also is there any way to get it passed. He's tried the 1901 (or is 1904) approach, and ringing a "few other numbers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

I reckon why you're failing is pretty much as Giblet said - there are too many device being tapped off the main phone socket. The way to pass is to have the eircom line terminated correctly at the eircom socket (Those capacitors must have some function) and not spread around to different extensions.

Darragh

cman wrote:
    it doesn't matter bout the pop up blocker it wont work. can u tell me how smart test there lines and what adsl2 is and how it works.
    Strange that with pop up blocker off , that the window still won't open..
    Re line tests: smart don,t test your line on the web site ,they meerly determine if you are on an exchange that is enabeled. The line test is done some time prior to sending your modem , I presume. This either means they are very confident that they can connect most lines or they are more concerned with the sales figures. ADSL2 works in much the same way as far as I know, but has the ability to travel further & provide faster speeds. If I remember correctly Smart were getting up to 8mbs on initial testing when thier first exchanges went live.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh I am in the same boat as well. Although I go to college with a guy who works for eircom on the phones in the summer , and he has reliably informed me if your on a splitter your screwed for life and will never be fixed, he also says the reason they suggest the isdn line to get more money, and as for a new line its another cool 125 euro in eircoms pocket.

I reckon why you're failing is pretty much as Giblet said - there are too many device being tapped off the main phone socket. The way to pass is to have the eircom line terminated correctly at the eircom socket (Those capacitors must have some function) and not spread around to different extensions.

Darragh
    I would love to know Eircom criteria for a line to pass or fail.. I know that the problem with monitored alarms is a load of crap.. If 1 or 2 extra devices on line can change the result then these devices would affect the service if they were connected after BB was installed.. They do not!! I have done various test re this on my own connection & have never noticed any change in performance..

Willem D wrote:
    Tbh I am in the same boat as well. Although I go to college with a guy who works for eircom on the phones in the summer , and he has reliably informed me if your on a splitter your screwed for life and will never be fixed, he also says the reason they suggest the isdn line to get more money, and as for a new line its another cool 125 euro in eircoms pocket.
    Then theres the one where you get your line disconnected,order a new line a few weeks later,( which btw still arrives into your house on the same copper wire as before), do a line test on the new line & it passes??????????????? Is it Eircom or EirCON!!!

Definately eircon, he says what we already know I suppose, that the are pawn and of these complaints back and forth between 1901 and the internet line, and make any extra money if they can.

• Advertisement

Willem D wrote:
    Definately eircon, he says what we already know I suppose, that the are pawn and of these complaints back and forth between 1901 and the internet line, and make any extra money if they can.
    On a different point who think that automatic answering guy at the end of 1901 is the most annoying P***k ever???

beller b wrote:
    On a different point who think that automatic answering guy at the end of 1901 is the most annoying P***k ever???

Yes I agree but something that gripes me more is the bit*h on 1904 who goes on about Esat Bts latest offers for over 30 secs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Why don't you set up a little WiFI network with off the shelf equipment between a house that has broadband or even one that doesn't but can avail of it and come to an agreement like split costs or if you're desprete pay full thing for broadband and let them use it aswell. Its what i would do even if they were 20miles away with LOS :( but no, im in a mountainy area. Will be doing satellite as temp and build up enough money to get Relayers.

Good Luck

beller b wrote:

Just say you have a different query. Saves you a lot of heart ache

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

I had the same problem. My neighbours' lines passed for BB but mine didn't. This was because my line was split. With the advice from an Eircom BB CSR I ordered a new phone line, but this failed the test aswell. Four months down the line and it was still failing. I wrote up a letter of complaint and with help of Ireland Offline and Sunday Business Post the line eventually passed and the broadband order went through. :mad:

I suggest you write up a complaint and send it to Eircom, Ireland Offline and ComReg.

Willem D wrote:
    Yes I agree but something that gripes me more is the bit*h on 1904 who goes on about Esat Bts latest offers for over 30 secs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    If that was a 1550 number you would pay €2 a min to listen to her moan.... lol

beller b wrote:
    If that was a 1550 number you would pay €2 a min to listen to her moan.... lol

Ooh..I'm off to ring that!

Darragh

Advertisement