Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucky b*stard!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Anybody that has been reading any of my threads on Technology and Programming will see that is the kind of thing I am trying to achieve in my FY project.

I'm not saying I'm going to create a home automation system. But I would like to use J2ME and a wireless device to interface with a larger remote system.

Fair play to the guy he deserves it!. It is typical that when you take a break from something for a few mins, you will have your best ideas. I used to always have my best ides when walking back to my house from college. Then I used to pop in to the shop grab something quick and return to college, and put the plan to action immediately. It's times like that I don't sleep @ night.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

he's a rite bastid alright...but none the less some effort plan'n n skill went in to have both things working in 6hrs fair play (when's the next one of those on...i'd like the fone and da car smile.gif )

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Seems like he really won this competition in the months/years before with his experience on the development tools he was going to use; plus of course familiarising himself with those funky gadgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

That J2ME stuff is extremely leet. I'd love to do somthing involving it as a final year project. Are those i85 phones being released over here?

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 14-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Yeah that J2ME stuff is sweet. I've started fiddling about with it since I read that article and it's really easy once you get going.
    There are a few articles on http://www.onjava.com on Wireless Java using a few different kits.
    Big article on it in this months JDJ too.

I was just talking to a girl today who'll be doing a wireless project for her final year. Seems like it's a pretty popular choice. I guess it is a pretty exciting area.

As for those phones, I don't think they're out here yet. AFAIK, they're those always-on phones, as in real-time text chat wouldn't be out of the question. If you're interested in doing a J2ME project get a cheap Palm with IR and phone with IR (mail me if you're interested in a Siemens S35 handset - has IR).
    You could do some pretty cool stuff with those two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I actually got a book on J2ME the other day. It just been realesed and tis V.good. Tis a TY in 21 days job from Sams. The introductory chapters really make things clear and informative, in that I could stand at the top of a room and give a lecture on the topic for ages. It starts off by describing Sun's initial goals with Java and then how J2ME comes in to that.

But now that I've realised what J2ME is about I can see why it's not difficult to get under your belt. When you consider you are developing for embedded devices with limited hardware capeabilities, you will instantly see that you can do fuk all with it, compared to J2EE for example. There is about 5-6 (what am I saying, lots more) times as much stuff in J2EE than there is in ME.

So now you see learning ME is not the problem. It's finding the hardware platform that is (in this country anyway). Tis only the megacorps that have access to things like 3G handsets and the likes (over here), so that rules out things for us poor FY students.

Oooh God help ye MegaCorps when I get some funding behind these little ideas of mine. Youuuu'll seeee! biggrin.gif

;-phobos-)

Advertisement