Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best 2nd hand car for under 10k

Options
  • 10-04-2005 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and girls,
    plannin on buying a 2nd hand car at the beginning of summer, budget of around 8-10k, looking for somethin with a bit of zip, and that is not a 2 door, any suggestions?
    Cheers
    Shoutman :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I'd buy a Golf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Honda Civic 4dr - not used by the boyracers as much as the 3dr. Bomb proof reliability and 1.4 is one of the most powerful in its class. Fuel economy

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=219230
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=147499

The Golf is a good car but you may have to go for a 1.6 as the 1.4 is a bit underpowered for overtaking. The engine struggles in the heavy body. Also standard kit is very spartan and you may not even have electric front windows.

Another one to look at is the Toyota Corolla which may not be great to look at but like the Civic they are ultra reliable and the 1.4 is very nippy.

Don't forget the Ford Focus which there are plenty about. Great handling and reliability is good.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=219930

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

You didn't say what kind of a buyer you are - do you want something practical for a familiy, or are you a young lad trying to score chicks outside the local niteclub?? ;)

In any case, I think you should think about going for a Honda Civic. At that money you will be able to get an ultra reliable model with a low mileage, good economy and something that is fun to drive with a bit of zip. I'm after buying a 1.4L 3dr and I love it, it's like driving a much more expensive car, total luxury...

If you're an older driver and can afford the insurance get a 1.5 VTEC or a 1.6 civic. Or actually if that's the case, just go for a Honda Integra or a Toyota Celica! But remember the 1.4L, or 1.5VTEC Civic is great if you want economy and lower insurance/tax as well as a model that feels like a high powered car in some ways (even though it isn't obviously).

I also recommend the Toyota Avensis 1.6L as it is a totally reliable car, and you'll be able to get a great one at 10k. Also, look out for a Corolla 1.4 or 1.6 with VVTI - they are well worth buying and are very solid reliable cars, and have good zip, even though the handling and interior has been criticised for lack of imagination and blandness (this applies to the Avensis too to some extent).

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

shoutman wrote:
    Hey guys and girls,
    plannin on buying a 2nd hand car at the beginning of summer, budget of around 8-10k, looking for somethin with a bit of zip, and that is not a 2 door, any suggestions?
    Cheers
    Shoutman :eek:

For a modern car, I'd recommend an Alfa 156.

If you were a bit more open minded, how about this:
    http://www.novaweb.fr/pub/pages/annonces/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dagon wrote:
    I also recommend the Toyota Avensis 1.6L as it is a totally reliable car, and you'll be able to get a great one at 10k.
    Quick question on that Dagon if you don't mind. GF is looking around for a car (looking for something around a 98 or 99, she doesn't want to spend more than about 6-7k, she's pretty much decided on Toyota) but she's thinking Corolla (mine and hers can be twins) rather than Avensis as she's heard they depreciate pretty hard (from a selling POV obviously rather than a parts POV). Does all that depreciation tend to happen in the first few years or does it continue on?

I'm no expoert, but my guess would be that it occurs in the first few years. All you have to do is take a look on carzone and find out the prices of 98 and 99 Avensis - they are still pretty high especially in cases where the mileage is low. Have a search for yourself to see. It's nearly impossible to get a 00 Avensis at a really low price, and that's a 5 year old car!

It seems to me that the Avensis is a nicer drive and is much more luxurious and confortable than Corolla, long as you can afford 1.6 or 1.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

alfa 156 for definate 2 litre 01 model with a full spec!

sceptre wrote:
    Quick question on that Dagon if you don't mind. GF is looking around for a car (looking for something around a 98 or 99, she doesn't want to spend more than about 6-7k, she's pretty much decided on Toyota) but she's thinking Corolla (mine and hers can be twins) rather than Avensis as she's heard they depreciate pretty hard (from a selling POV obviously rather than a parts POV). Does all that depreciation tend to happen in the first few years or does it continue on?

I am on my third Avensis and while the looks are not to everyone's taste I have found them to be a very good car and depreciation is not that bad. Ultra reliable and definately more comfortable than the Corolla. They tend to hold their value slightly better than the similar Mondeo, Vectra, Laguna or Primera.

Basically if you can afford it, get yourself an Avensis. Can't go wrong!

My sister and parents have them, and I know loads more who have nothing but praise for the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not much fun tho are they

Cyrus wrote:

Nope. And I probably wouldn't be buying one myself, but I got the impression that this person is looking for something reliable and practical.

If it was me, and you want a Toyota, I'd go for an MR2 or Celica :D

Cyrus wrote:

Depends what you mean by fun...

When it comes to buying cars I let my head rule my heart. I get in I turn the key, the car goes, it stops and I'm at my destination. No hassel. That's what I want from a car.

Personnelly I wouldn't have the patience to own an Alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

avensis would be heavy on juice though. id buy a golf/corolla/ etc

Dagon wrote:
    Nope. And I probably wouldn't be buying one myself, but I got the impression that this person is looking for something reliable and practical.

If it was me, and you want a Toyota, I'd go for an MR2 or Celica :D

I wouldn't mind something like a Celica or MR2 but again practicality has to rule, you cannot fit an infant in the back of a Celica so there is no contest. The Avensis wins hands down, you can fit the buggy and all the stuff that comes with it into the boot and still have plenty of room in the back for a baby chair, with nine air bags also I know we are relatively safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

00 Ford Focus 1.4
    Car of the year for the past few years
    easy to get spare parts down the line.

Yes, already mentioned the Focus as a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

bazz26 wrote:
    When it comes to buying cars I let my head rule my heart. I get in I turn the key, the car goes, it stops and I'm at my destination. No hassel. That's what I want from a car

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Reliable yes but practicle not a necessity,
    i'm an 18 year old non boy racer driver with a full licence and no car wrecks to my name (or crashs for that matter) :D

Fun would be nice, but not at the price of havin to get it repaired every couple of months. At the moment i'm driving a 1.4 95d Astra imported from Uk, haven't had a problem with it since i've bought it. But it's snot coloured green and seriously outdated :( Nice car though ;)

Cheers
    Shoutman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A Corolla, really comfy for driving on the long drives and engine will go for ever.

shoutman wrote:
    Fun would be nice, but not at the price of havin to get it repaired every couple of months.

I'd still look at a 156. Fabulous car, and well within your budget.

The Octavia and Fabia are both excellent cars, but I must say at 18 I would have preferred something a bit different. Maybe a Seat Leon?

How about a Fiat Barchetta? Or a Ford Puma. The Puma is a lot of fun on the twisties, but has dependable Fiesta underpinnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The 156 is indeed a decent looking car but there is a reason they go cheap ... reliability . They are known for their soft engine and mechanics. Alfas throughout time have had these issues and no matter what they can do with a designers pencil they havent sorted it out yet.

The Corolla is on the other hand a very reliable car but is as bland as the day is long. The newest model has addressed the styling somewhat but I still associate them with tweed and dark rainy clouds. WHo cares if the engine will out live the owner?

In other words buy a Golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Did you laugh heartily when the Toyota crapolla was mentioned? :confused: If so there's hope for you yet... read on.
    Keep the snotstra and get 2 classics and a box of tools. Reliability who cares 1 out of 3 is bound to work at any one time. No VRT, €60 tax €150 insurance High Mpg ? balances out against cheaper tax and insurance.
    Fun by the bucketfull :D you know it doesn't make sense but then Sensible is for pensioners.

VeVeX wrote:
    The 156 is indeed a decent looking car but there is a reason they go cheap ... reliability . They are known for their soft engine and mechanics. Alfas throughout time have had these issues and no matter what they can do with a designers pencil they havent sorted it out yet.
    [SNIP]
    In other words buy a Golf ;)

As stated elsewhere on these boards, anybody I know who has owned a 156 (including myself) has encountered few reliability issues. My car was faultless in 45000 miles, which is what I would expect of any new car. My company ran 5 of them - no issues with any, apart from the depreciation. There's one for sale here

I know of no car marque with the reputation for reliability that Toyota has earned. But as a range of cars only Chevrolet eclipse them for tedium, IMO.

I know of no marque that deserves such a reputation less than VW. Most VW owners I know are pleased with their cars but have encountered various issues, mostly to do with poor quality workmanship rather than inherent design flaws. They are also overpriced, expensive to service and I'm struggling to think of one below 10k that I would class as fun to drive. My friend is selling his 1.8 MkIV GTI for around 10k. There's nothing wrong with the car, but I wouldn't have it. IMO 1.6 Skoda estate is much more fun and better put together.

Back on topic - how about a Honda Jazz?

shagman wrote:
    Keep the snotstra and get 2 classics and a box of tools. Reliability who cares 1 out of 3 is bound to work at any one time. No VRT, €60 tax €150 insurance High Mpg ? balances out against cheaper tax and insurance.
    Fun by the bucketfull :D you know it doesn't make sense but then Sensible is for pensioners.

I couldn't agree more, but the man is 18 - Insurance will be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Oh sorry ....hmmm 18 eh ...........Emigrate....1 year working zisa Oz -then NZ -then Canada- then US-then Europe. Drive great cars on great roads in the sunshine surrounded by preety girls. Come back with a nice tan, 5 years NCB and a full licence and then maybe you'll be able to afford Irish insurance to drive a micra in the rain. Then wait another 2 years before you can insure a classic!!!???? It's great to be Irish :D

Advertisement