Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying 2nd-hand car, private seller: motor tax issue

Options
  • 10-04-2005 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm buying my first car from a private seller. The car is currently not taxed as it is not being driven.

Do I understand correctly the procedure?:

1) We both fill out Part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and sent it off to the Dept. of the Environment. In 3 to 4 weeks, the vehicle is transferred into my name.

2) He gives me the Vehicle Registration Certificate.

3) I can only pay motor tax after I receive the new Vehicle Licensing certificate in my name.

So if I understand correctly, the fact that this vehicle is not currently taxed means that I'm not going to be able to drive it legally for 3-4 weeks minimum after I buy it.

That's clearly not acceptable and I assume the solution is to insist that the guy get a tax disc before the sale can proceed. Is he going to be liable for months and months of arrears while the car has been off the road? Am I going to be liable for his arrears if he doesn't get the tax disc?

What would you advise?

All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

ur only going to have to tax the car from the date,it changes ownership,u can drive the car straight away,and u can back tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Believe it or not they are quicker these days and it usually only takes about 2 weeks for change of ownership to be processed. (Depends on when the previous owner sends it).

You might get some grief at a garda check point but just explain the situation and they will probably ask you to produce the tax disc at a local garda station when you receive it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When I bought my car, it only took about a week for the registration cert to be returned to me in my name. Maybe times differ depending on the local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'm in the exact same position at the moment. Car hasnt been taxed since December! The car still is not under my name but there's no way I'm paying the tax for the last 3 months when the car wasnt even mine. Its a bit risky driving round with no tax, cause once its over the 3month mark, the car can be seized by the garda but I'm sure they'd understand unless you get a right di€k of a garda pulling you over

BTW, the seller should give you the Vehicle Registration Certificate when you hand over the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have a link to the law on this? Isn't it illegal to drive at all without a tax disc? Where does the 3 month figure come in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

And what if I insist that he get a tax disc in his name before I drive it off? Is that transferable to me?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ernie Ball wrote:
    And what if I insist that he get a tax disc in his name before I drive it off? Is that transferable to me?
    Yes. The tax is more related to the car than the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

tax is no problem, the car however needs to be ok... does it have a NCT cert? maybe thats the reason for no tax
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Where does the 3 month figure come in?

if you dont have a good excuse for the first 3 months of no tax, you'll get a €60 fine. After 3 months of out of date tax, the car can be seized. 3 of my family members are garda and thats what they've told me

Advertisement