Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom cayman DMZ

• 10-04-2005 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

does anyone know how to place the netopia cayman 3300series from eircom in a DMZ (de militarized zone) for online gaming , i cant see any mention of a DMZ on their website when trying to configure it. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

What are you trying to do?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

im trying to place it into a DMZ so i can host games online.
    similar to portforwarding but much simpler as u dont need to know which ports needs to be forwarded. But i cant see anything metioning DMZ on the configuration website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

that sounds like something you might hear in a pub. I think he wants to stop all traffic, except his gaming(to try and improve pings, maybe?), but im not sure.
    **Edit** whoops, I missed his last post (gone to make tea/ goddam
    9x10^12 ms lag!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

DMZ is De-Militarised Zone. Basically it's enabled an open connection to the net through the router.

Check the firewall options to see if the option is there. There should be an option to set which IP is in the DMZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

err, no.

Only one computer can be added to a routers DMZ since your router only has 1 external ip address. The DMZ machine basically gets ALL ports forwarded to it. Any port not forwarded to another ip gets forwarded to that computer.

So it better have a good firewall.

Gav

• Advertisement

That's what I said wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

why the **** would you use a DMZ if all you want to do is host a games server. Just forward the single port the game server needs. Or the range, if it needs a range (doubtful). Surely that'd be the easiest and safest route? Enabling a DMZ removes most of hte protection offered by a router...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

how about the easyest solution, just setup your bb connection to dial out! instead of the router sending stuff to you. We use it on our servers to keep them seen on the net and aquire External IP's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

If you visit www.netopia.com and visit the TechNote section for the Netopia 3300 series you would find...

http://www.netopia.com/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_026.html

(Netopia and their different terminology)

- Neil

Blitz wrote:
    how about the easyest solution, just setup your bb connection to dial out! instead of the router sending stuff to you. We use it on our servers to keep them seen on the net and aquire External IP's

How do i do that????thnx.

and to guy above thanks for info but i dont know the IP address of my ps2 which has to be input. :(

• Advertisement

Can you read your router logs to see the ips which have accessed it?

Hi,

PlayaFlow - The PS2 should allow you to give it a "Static IP address" as opposed to getting one automatically (known as DHCP). I haven't had a chance to play around with the PS2's internet connection software but the Dreamcast and Xbox both have this option to set the IP address manually or automatically so the PS2 shouldn't be any different.

Another way would be to leave things as they are and check the modem's "DHCP leases". This might tell you what IP address the PS2 is using. It's best to turn off any other PCs, etc and just leave the PS2 on while doing this.

Also, are you sure the PS2 even needs ports forwarded to it? I ask because although it's recommended for the Xbox, I don't do it and I've never had any trouble.

- Neil

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

PlayaFlow - The PS2 should allow you to give it a "Static IP address" as opposed to getting one automatically (known as DHCP). I haven't had a chance to play around with the PS2's internet connection software but the Dreamcast and Xbox both have this option to set the IP address manually or automatically so the PS2 shouldn't be any different.

Another way would be to leave things as they are and check the modem's "DHCP leases". This might tell you what IP address the PS2 is using. It's best to turn off any other PCs, etc and just leave the PS2 on while doing this.

Also, are you sure the PS2 even needs ports forwarded to it? I ask because although it's recommended for the Xbox, I don't do it and I've never had any trouble.

- Neil

The PS2 does allow u to give it a static IP adress , in fact its even recommended in the games manual , but i dont know what address to give it.
    Thanks for your help

Hi,

Assuming you haven't changed any of the default IP address in your modem and it's still 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 then I would recommend you set the IP of the PS2 to be something like 192.168.1.20

You could then enable DMZ (Default Host) and give it that address.

- Neil

Advertisement