Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info Security + Forensics

• 10-04-2005 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Im just wondering about the job prospects in computer forensics, and the financial rewards being the most important I suppose!
    I am seriously thinking of doing a MSc in computer forensics,most likely in the UK,I have a degree in ITT, does anyone know of anyone who is/did something similar.
    Its a big decision so Id appreciate any input.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Forensics has to be the most boring job in the world, but that's just my opinion.

The market seems to be growing considering the number of companies who now offer the service - every Tom Dick and Harry has bought themselves a copy of Encase. There is by the way a masters in forensics course available in Dublin, being typically academia led it has endless hours of cryptography and maths, god knows why. I can see it becoming a commodity service for the most part.

You should figure out whether you really want to spend days on end looking through image files cataloguing whatever before you make the decision.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well the postgrad degree I think you're referring to is "security and forensic computing" rather than just forensic computing, so the cryptography and maths is entirely relevant. Besides, if people will insist on getting academic qualifications, they shouldn't be surprised if the content is academic rather than vocational.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Oh, and I agree on your assessment on forensics. Interesting to do once or twice, but I'd probably claw my own eyeballs out if it was my day to day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ye im doing me dissertation on compter forensics at the minute and I would not fancy looking through a 300GB hard drive, to look for a piece of email fragment evidence that could be hid in between the slack space on the drive.
    u'd want to have plenty of patience for it. only plus side is the money, seen jobs in the UK for between 40,000 to 70,000 sterlings a year

Advertisement