Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suns Response to Microsoft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure I'll post it - it's only 20KB
    choiceletter-500.gif

When I was young, I dreamed of being a Fireman. Then I learned that they put out the fires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Well done SUN.....

amusing smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right I'm sorry to say this and I know I'm going to to flame grilled better than a Buger King Wopper. But Sun have nothing to complain about. Before I start I do not program Java so I am an outsider looking in.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Microsoft wants to control the innovation and openness that java technology promotes
    </font>
    Sorry to say this but Sun wants the exact same thing. Microsoft change Java a bit and bang Sun sue them saying there not allowed. Surelly its through change that technologies improve Sun migh know this but they can not accuse MS of trying to control java when thats exactly what they are doing.

Lets look at exactly what MS are doing here. They are not providing, for want of a better term runtime files/VM for Java in their OS anymore. But the funny thing is they dont provide runtimes for VB in their OS's either and that is one of their Techs and also one of the most used langs for apps. And as far as I remember .Net will be the same. So what they are doing for Java is no different to what they are doing to their own Techs.

Microsoft are getting a raw going over these days due to including things in their OS and forcing ppl to use them. Well this is in responce to two court cases one saying dont force an install of IE and the other being dont mess with Java. So they're basiclly doing what they were told.

To be honest what is happening here imho is Sun have just soiled their undergarmends to rob a term from Dav. If MS pull support for Java and windows does not come with a Java VM average Joe bloggs would not bother downloading and installing one and its going to hurt Java in a big way. Not only that but hey most processing is done serverside these days so what are they complaining about also ppl who do want a VM will download most likely the Sun VM and surely this is not a thing Sun should complain about.
    ...Web pages run java applets...
    ...consumer electronics...
    ...enterprise applications...
    </font>
    Of any of the above applications Sun have listed MS pulling Java support will only effect one thing in a big way and thats applets but they died a death years ago.

What Sun are really saying here is this ok windows is starting to catch up on Unix for preformance and stabilty (I have never seen a BSOD in Win2K). Windows is an easier enviroment for people to use. MSSQL is taking so much of the market share for the database market it can only be called daylight robbery where sun/orcale are the ones being robbed and IBM and MS are the robbers. So much so MS dont plan to pass out Orcale as they know they will they just worry about IBM and taking more of Orcale than IBM. You have to admit if Orcale goes down the tube Sun is in it up to their neck. Just lok at the companies these year Sun have asked their employees not to surf the net and they have had two week shut down have MS???

Microsoft have every right not to supply a piece of third party software with there OS. Also MS HAVE hit the jackpot with .NET. Beta 1 rocked and gave a good insight but Beta 2 went on to improve so much more and the improvements were not just bug fixes.

Sun are acting like kids when MS tried to play ball with them they took the ball away and told mammy that MS were bold and now that MS dont want to play with them their cring.

MS are no angels but they have given so much to the IT sector. If it wasn't for MS we would still be in the dark ages and using a computer would be a black art that only a hand full could do. So dont jump at the chance of slagging them off just because their MS.

Right just to summerise I think Sun are being like ickle kids because MS wont ship suns run time files with a MS product. But I do not want to see them go either. I hate seeing ppl always having a go at MS after they have done so much but at the same time I would hate to see the day where MS are the only player.

kayos

kayos
    When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

.NET wants Java's lunch money and intends to get it.

K

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A fair arguement Kealan, but...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kayos:
    Sorry to say this but Sun wants the exact same thing. Microsoft change Java a bit and bang Sun sue them saying there not allowed. Surelly its through change that technologies improve Sun migh know this but they can not accuse MS of trying to control java when thats exactly what they are doing.</font>

HELLO!?!?!? That's complete toss - Java (last time I looked) was not open source and as such, the only people who have a right to change it are Sun. MS deserved the court time on this issue and your saying that MS shouldn't have been sued shows your complete biased opinion tongue.gif
    Microsuck deliberatly tried not to take control, but to dominate someone elses good idea and they were (quite rightly) punished for it.

Anyway. The rest of your arguement is rock solid and I can only think of one reason - Java is indeed the language of choice for most colleges I know and while students and developers are indeed going to download a JVM, Joe Soap Student might write something and can't distribute it as Freeware because he can't include the Microsoft Copyright JVM along with it. Maybe there'll be licencing issues within colleges because they have XP and unlicenced JVM's (or something daft like that - you can see my point without needing exact details).

Solution:
    I think MS should include runtimes for all the popular languages - Java, VB, C, C++ etc..

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Advertisement

HELLO!?!?!? That's complete toss - Java (last time I looked) was not open source and as such, the only people who have a right to change it are Sun. MS deserved the court time on this issue and your saying that MS shouldn't have been sued shows your complete biased opinion
    </font>

Right what I was saying here was meant to be read as follows Sun are complaining about MS tring to control java and that MS doesn't like the openess of Java again I quote
    Microsoft wants to control the innovation and openness that java technology promotes
    </font>
    Sun are the ones that control it and they even comment on Javas openess. But surely if was open third parties would be allowed alter and improve upon the Language. Basiclly Sun wanted MS to stay away from Java and they have they have totaly dropped it. Only now Sun realise that without MS to blame they are the fall guys and they now have to support a Windows JVM. Also as an aside I seem to remember some saying to me that the MS JVM was one of the fastest around but I honestly dont know. Also you remember westons problem with JDBC he could not get a JDBC driver for his project without paying for it. While MS will give ODBC drivers away without a penny crossing hands be the driver for professional or student use. I'm not talking as a MS head here so dont call be Biased.
    Anyway. The rest of your arguement is rock solid
    </font>
    thank you for the complament, being the stubborn SOB that you are it means my post was really good cause I know how anti MS you are.
    ...and I can only think of one reason - Java is indeed the language of choice for most colleges I know and while students and developers are indeed going to download a JVM, Joe Soap Student might write something and can't distribute it as Freeware because he can't include the Microsoft Copyright JVM along with it. Maybe there'll be licencing issues within colleges because they have XP and unlicenced JVM's (or something daft like that - you can see my point without needing exact details).
    </font>

I think you've totaly missed the point here there will no longer be a MS JVM and the Sun one is free so thats not going to stop ppl making freeware. You would honeslty think Sun would be happy with people using their JVM. They are taking back control of Java, as I said they wanted MS to back off and MS are doing what they asked.
    Solution:
    I think MS should include runtimes for all the popular languages - Java, VB, C, C++ etc..
    </font>
    You muppet can you imagine the untold amount of steaming **** that would cause. Installing all these files would cause untold amount of security risks mainly thinking of VBS here. Anyway I'm open to anyones point of view to try and make me see Suns side of things. And also Al j00 mupp3t whats your opnion on all this....

BTW Kix forget the lunch money .Net is robbing the pig*** bank smile.gif

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Oh No here comes Java biased Java guy PHOBOS! smile.gif

Kealan those were fair points that you mentioned. But you've rambled on so much I had to go back and read seamus's original post just so I could remember what the hell we are on about. biggrin.gif

I agree that MS don't have to include support for Java in their new OS's but I think thats a big mistake from a development perspective (over user one). A lot of the mega J2EE Enterprise systems that are in use by (the Fortune 500, I hear you say), are bound to have their clients hosted on an MS platform. The kind of power that you can command with the Java language is incredible. I'm not saying that the likes of the .NET family can't do similar, but with Java you gain more flexibility, from a platform perspective. It's only now since the introduction of J2ME, Sun is finally getting back on track of what they initially set out to do with Java. Now I know when we start talking about embeded techonology such as phones and stuff, it doesn't have anything to do with MS. But wait and see, I bet that MS will soon realise the potential of wireless and release some kind of OS for the 3G platform. Eventhough right now we're do that with Java.

One thing that I will promote MS for is that, YES!, we probably would be still in stone age computing if it wasn't for them. Because of them non techies can get a piece of the action. But by removing support for Java from their OS, it is denying the non-technical (or couldn't be arsed) person from using the power of Java computing on their systems.

Now if I were to write some small freeware software in Java and want a public release, I would distribute a Sun JVM with it. So the person wouldnt need to bother downloading it. I can see this happening with Java products more so, when XP gets properly released.

I do agree with Dav, that MS do want complete control over Java. If you remember all those years ago, MS didn't have any software that connected to the web. The internet was just something that they didn't bother with. So along came Netscape and developed a web browser that enabled clients access remote HTTP servers and browse the web. This was a great idea, and everybody had Netscape clients. Then MS decided they wanted a piece of the action, so they tried to dominate the web, by forcing IE on everybody. Once again an example of an idea that wasn't theirs, and in they come and try to dominate the market.

Al, where the fuk are you man! wink.gif

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lots Originally posted by kayos:

Sorry to say this but Sun wants the exact same thing. Microsoft change Java a bit and bang Sun sue them saying there not allowed.

Yea, it's this crazy thing called "Standards" that MS try to change. If you have fixed standards on how things work and you as a company change that standard then lock out your competitors then it destroys the whole aspect of what is Java.

Sun migh know this but they can not accuse MS of trying to control java when thats exactly what they are doing.

Well Sun own Java so I guess they can tell MS to go screw themselves if the want. smile.gif

They are not providing, for want of a better term runtime files/VM for Java in their OS anymore.

That's correct and actually that was a good thing because MS JVM is so prehistoric I'm glad it's got dumped.

However IE have changed thier latest browser to stop it working with NS plugins, which I think Java is as well. So I think Sun will have to write a wrapper? (I'm not too versed on what was happening there).

But the funny thing is they dont provide runtimes for VB in their OS's

They don't have to, it can either be downloaded or most packaged VB apps have the files in them. Don't think it's one of the most used languages though?

Microsoft are getting a raw going over these days due to including things in their OS and forcing ppl to use them.

Yea loosing freedom to choose tends to do that to people. smile.gif

To be honest what is happening here imho is Sun have just soiled their undergarmends to rob a term from Dav.*snip*

Not at all. While Sun did blow it up a bit that "MS is being bad!" when it was actually a good thing, MS dropping Java in thier browser does not kill Java. Might kill those crappy pop-up adverts that try to do nasty things. smile.gif

JVM still downloads in XP as far as I know, but means having to download it every single time you update your system.
    and thats applets but they died a death years ago.

Applets are still very much alive. Just thankfully crappy 3 months experience bouncy ball Java applets. smile.gif

What Sun are really saying here is this ok windows is starting to catch up on Unix for preformance and stabilty

Buhahaha!

W9* are steaming piles of dog poo. W2K + NT on the other hand are extremly stable.

Windows looses on the server end but is winning on the Client side end. That will change/is changing. Linix is a long long way from the days of a console interface.

(I have never seen a BSOD in Win2K).

I have, but you really have to try hard to do it.

Windows is an easier enviroment for people to use.

Not true. It's all to do with what your used to. I play with a lot of different OS. I would say KDE (Linux GUI) is just as easy to use as Windows. I would say the Mac OS is probably the easiest to use of the three.

Just lok at the companies these year Sun have asked their employees not to surf the net and they have had two week shut down have MS???

Well it's all cost saving to make Quarters for your share holders. In case you didn't notice the US is in a massive recession. Also comparing a Sun to MS is like comparing a coffee shop to a supermarket. Sure the supermarket sells coffee, might not be as good as the coffee shop, but they sell other stuff too.

Microsoft have every right not to supply a piece of third party software with there OS.

Also MS HAVE hit the jackpot with .NET.

.NET sucks for so many reasons.

Sun are acting like kids when MS tried to play ball with them they took the ball away and told mammy that MS were bold and now that MS dont want to play with them their cring.

More like MS took Suns ball painted it a different color then got upset when Sun wanted thier ball back.

MS are no angels but they have given so much to the IT sector.

Like?

If it wasn't for MS we would still be in the dark ages and using a computer would be a black art

Doubtful, considering Apple where making nicer machines before MS. I thought it was more to do with the court case that IBM was in? and MS getting luckly owning the license to the OS?

But speaking of dark ages and MS. I recall reading in the findings of Fact that Intel built this really cool Multimedia software that was years ahead of anything else (which they were going to release for free) and MS had it killed by threatening to not support Intel, simply because they saw the software as threat.

Right just to summerise I think Sun are being like ickle kids because MS wont ship suns run time files with a MS product.

The JVM has never been Suns? It was a MS JVM which had to follow a standard laid out by Sun in order to be certified.

But surely if was open third parties would be allowed alter and improve upon the Language

They do.

Only now Sun realise that without MS to blame they are the fall guys and they now have to support a Windows JVM

Sun have a windows JVM. A more up to date, extra functionality and faster and cleaner JVM.

While MS will give ODBC drivers away without a penny crossing hands be the driver for professional or student use

I'm not an expert on DB's, but isn't ODBC just a bridge to other DB's to allow you to program a common language which you must pay for? For example, I could use ODBC to write a program to connect to a DB2 server but I would still need a license for DB2?

OK Hobbes now that swhat I call a long post so heres my reply...

They don't have to, it can either be downloaded or most packaged VB apps have the files in them. Don't think it's one of the most used languages though?
    Why dont they package up the JVM as well so and stop complaining. As for being one of the most used langs check it out you will be surprised it is...

Well Sun own Java so I guess they can tell MS to go screw themselves if the want.
    Well MS own windows so they can support what they want and sun can go screw themselfs and stop complaining about it

W9* are steaming piles of dog poo. W2K + NT on the other hand are extremly stable.

Windows looses on the server end but is winning on the Client side end. That will change/is changing. Linix is a long long way from the days of a console interface.

Yes Win 9* is crap and so is ME but NT and 2k are what I'm talking about here. I honestly dont know why you say windows looses out on the server end have you ever used/seen or read about WIN2K Datacenter Edition on a unisys box? Windows 2K and SQL2K out preform Orcale on Unix.

(I have never seen a BSOD in Win2K).

I have, but you really have to try hard to do it

Ok let me at a unix box and I bet I could get it to blow up. I wasn't talking about having to try really hard to do it I mean in the normal everyday world.

Windows is an easier enviroment for people to use.

Not true. It's all to do with what your used to. I play with a lot of different OS. I would say KDE (Linux GUI) is just as easy to use as Windows. I would say the Mac OS is probably the easiest to use of the three.

Ok maybe I put this wrong put a total newbie in front of a empty computer (be it alpha/PC/mac) and hand him the discs he needs to do a install of an OS(unix/linix/windows/Mac OS) dont give him the manuals and dont tell him anything. OK lets be nice make sure he knows how to get the cd working. Which OS will he have less problems with? I would say windows.

In case you didn't notice the US is in a massive recession
    Ahhh I do know that and its all dubbys fault smile.gif

Also comparing a Sun to MS is like comparing a coffee shop to a supermarket
    Why??? Sun do software so do MS whats the difference? Sun are meant to have put the dot in dot com they sponser a F1 car they are as big as MS if not bigger. Why wont you compare them?

.NET sucks for so many reasons.
    You have just done the one thing that really gets on my nerves.
    Kid 1: "I dont like you"
    Kid 2: "Why?"
    Kid 1: "I just dont"
    If you are going to say something back it up why do you think .Net sucks??? I'll tell you why its good imho. VB is fully OO and more powerful. C# is a very very nice language. The CLR is a very very nice idea. Its open so far there is ppl working on PHP/Perl/Java/cobol for .Net and a free BSD CLR

More like MS took Suns ball painted it a different color then got upset when Sun wanted thier ball back.
    And now they have it back they found out its not much fun playing on your own.

MS are no angels but they have given so much to the IT sector.

Like?

Ahhhhh easy to use software, the most popular OS for home PCs without windows most of todays IT sector would not have even started yet. And of course the big employer IT support jobs smile.gif

The JVM has never been Suns? It was a MS JVM which had to follow a standard laid out by Sun in order to be certified.

Ok I'll rephrase I think Sun are being like ickle kids because MS wont develop/support/distrubute run time files which support a third party language with a MS product.

Sun have a windows JVM. A more up to date, extra functionality and faster and cleaner JVM.
    I never siad they had to develop one I know they have one but what I said was they now have to support it and that adds a overhead

I'm not an expert on DB's, but isn't ODBC just a bridge to other DB's to allow you to program a common language which you must pay for? For example, I could use ODBC to write a program to connect to a DB2 server but I would still need a license for DB2?

Ok ODBC allows you to connect to a DB be that DB SQL/access/orcale/db2/excel/textfile any DB that has a ODBC driver and nearly all of them do. I was not saying that with ODBC everything was free but the ODBC drivers are unlike the JDBC drivers. If you were in college and the college had a DB2 server and Java development tools but did not have a JDBC driver to allow the students to develop apps to talk to the DB2 database the college must then pay for that driver. But ODBC is free...

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmmm....

Sorry Weston, but I won't be responding from my current location... smile.gif

bbl.

Al.

Why dont they package up the JVM as well...

They do. As I mentioned Sun's post is a bit of scaremongering. There is nothing that can stop you from downloading Java. However the way XP is set up (and the new IE) it makes it extremly painful to download and run (if possible). But we are just talking about Browser.

MS have gone as far as making it so Java can't be linked into thier latest browser.

As for being one of the most used langs check it out you will be surprised it is...

No. I would say the most used would be C/C++. Unless your just talking about Windows in which case I would probably still C++.

Well MS own windows so they can support what

Oh so I pay $100 for a lets say a Acme wordprocessor. Microsoft changed thier Operating system so it no longer works, but thier wordprocessor does. Is that fair?

I honestly dont know why you say windows looses out on the server end have you ever used/seen or read about WIN2K Datacenter Edition on a unisys box? Windows 2K and SQL2K out preform Orcale on Unix.

Large (Fortune 500) don't use NT as thier main servers, they tend to use mainframes. Apache is more popular then IIS.

Ok let me at a unix box and I bet I could get it to blow up.

Yes, if you had root access. You might find it a lot harder to blow up if you didn't.

I wasn't talking about having to try really hard to do it I mean in the normal everyday world.

Oh in normal everyday world I'd say Unix is better. smile.gif Actually I would say AS/400 is more stable then the two of them.

But please lets distingush between "Home use" and "Business use".

Ok maybe I put this wrong put a total newbie in front of a empty computer

Have you tried to install the latest version of Redhat recently? I assure you it is as easy or easier then Windows to install. Even without manuals. Try it.

Likewise with Corel Linux (which I installed on another box over a year ago). It's installer was very easy to use.

Certainly an idiot could install it.

Mac comes pre-installed and what idiot lets a complete newbie install an OS anyway?

Which OS will he have less problems with? I would say windows.

I would say the Mac and then Windows/Linux equal. Remember if the newbie has never used windows they are going to be screaming "WHERES MY C DRIVE?!!" when they are installing linux.

Why???

Sun and microsoft are not the same company. They don't offer the same services, they may offer services in certain areas but they don't certainly don't sell the same products across the board.

with that in mind it is easy to leverage your sales of one product to get a foothold in another field (re: MS giving IE away for free)

You have just done the one thing that really gets on my nerves.

.NET sucks because it is designed for the newbie in mind (something while Apple have been doing for years btw).

However a lot of what they have done goes against what I consider fair. It could make brekfest every morning but if that meant that the OS would purposely destroy files that it considers I shouldn't have then I don't see why I should give up my freedoms I currently have.

VB is fully OO and more powerful. C# is a very very nice language.

Erm, they are programming languages not part of an operating system.

And now they have it back they found out its not much fun playing on your own.

LOL. They have had the ball back for years. MS gave it back and pretty much dropped updating Java a long time ago. That's why the MS JVM sucks donkeys nads and the current version of Java is even used to program OpenGL based FPS games.

Ahhhhh easy to use software, the most popular OS for home PCs without windows most of todays IT sector would not have even started yet. And of course the big employer IT support jobs smile.gif

Your mixing home pc's up with office pc's again. IT sector has been around a long long time before Windows ever appeared.

It is the most popular home Operating System because there is no other choice for anyone? Windows is preloaded, so unless the person is somewhat savvy in what a computer is they are going stay with whats on the machine.

Easy Software? Have you ever sat a person who has never used a computer before in front of windows and tell them to write a letter? smile.gif Easy in what way?

DOS based software from years back was just as easy to use as windows software.

But you didn't really answer my question.

Ok I'll rephrase I think Sun are being like ickle kids because

Well the runtime was actually MS that they dropped.

I said was they now have to support it and that adds a overhead

They have already been supporting it? I'm confused. Do you mean they will have to update thier software everytime MS make changes to thier browser that *accidently* break thier JVM? In which case I agree with you.

Ok ODBC allows you to connect to a DB...

Ok so we agree on that. ODBC is nothing but a bridge between Windows and other 3rd party databases (which people have to pay for).

If you were in college and the college had a DB2 server and Java development tools but did not have a JDBC driver to allow the students to develop apps to talk to the DB2 database the college must then pay for that driver. But ODBC is free...

Erm? Are you sure? According to Suns site I can download JDBC and use it free. It also supports ODBC which means you can do JDBC-ODBC-DB2 (assuming you can't go JDBC-DB2).

Can someone who uses JDBC confirm this?

Btw, kind of funny that I agreed with you on some points and you took them as an attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hugh

Sun have a reason to be angry, but why should Microsoft include it ?

BTW, what is this . NET thing ? Or is it obvious and Im slow ?

http://www.icklepix.com

BTW, what is this . NET thing ?
    </font>

.NET is to Microsoft, as the JVM is the Sun. When you compile a program written in VC++, C#, VB or what ever else is part of the .NET suite. It is compiled in to .NET native code, like Java source is compiled in to byte code. Then the .NET code is exececuted in the confines of a .NET native interpreter. I've heard they have successfully got this stuff running on a Solaris box, but twas Kayos that told me that.

So if there is to be any more talk about .NET I will hand the mic over to Kayos.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Erm? Are you sure? According to Suns site I can download JDBC and use it free. It also supports ODBC which means you can do JDBC-ODBC-DB2 (assuming you can't go JDBC-DB2).

Can someone who uses JDBC confirm this?

JDBC drivers aren't always proprietary. I use the MySQL driver which I got for free from the website. I believe the PostgreSQL driver is also free. Basically if the DBMS system is free the driver is too. Proprietary DMBS systems like Oracle usually supply a JDBC driver with the software. If a driver isn't included with a DBMS system you're either better off using a different language or a different DBMS.

As for Suns response I think it's basically petty and immature, even if they have every right to so it. A company shouldn't become successful by dissing its rivals.

I haven't really seen much of .NET apart from the C# articles on www.onjava.com
    It seems like a pretty cool language. I guess only time will tell.

Hobbes is 100% correct on the ease of use issue too, completely computer illeterate people have started off using copmuters with Linux installed. The problems arise when they ask their friends who are using Windows for help or software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

has this something to do with lex luther?

JDBC drivers and Java

No Kealan was saying that I had a problem with getting a JDBC driver for a project I was working on last year. This is true. The driver you mentioned above was a bridging driver between JDBC and ODBC (MS sollution). Using this you could connect to SQL Server etc. But the problem is that I was trying to connect to a remote DB at the time (I can't remember which one, I think it was Oracle), but I didn't have a license to the software or it;s drivers. That was ages ago and things have changed. It is very easy to get your hands on JDBC stuff right now. The new Enterprise JDK is shipping with Cloudscape and it's own JDBC drivers. So it's an all under one roof effort.

I thought I would just clear that up.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

If it wasn't for MS we would still be in the dark ages and using a computer would be a black art

em as far as i know MS bought QDOS from some seatle company when they sold a product to IBM (well it wasnt a product it was a program running on an OS) and told IBM it WAS an OS so then they bough QDOS and renamed it MS-DOS so i think MS gave ****, they lied to get themselves a huge job which started Microsoft then they bought an OS and have just been improving it since. so it wasnt MS it was some seatle company which put us on the right track to where we are today as far as the windows front goes. btw ms suck ****

[This message has been edited by d4r3n (edited 26-08-2001).]

Yeah actually you're right about the Seatle company. It was just one guy who wrote DOS. They bought if off him for something like $50k and made millions off it.

Actually if you've ever seen "Pirates of Silicon Valley" (Movie), the whole story is presented very well. It's a good movie and was on MovieMax or Premier a few months ago. I recommend you see this coz it explains quite a lot and is entertaining at the same time.

;-phobos-)

Pirates of Silicon valley is kind of hollywood'ish though. smile.gif Still fun to watch.

There is a TV series called "revenge of nerds" or something like that (not the movie). They interview everyone who was big during those years. It's pretty cool to watch.

The DOS was made by one guy who was out for the day when IBM called to buy it. Either it was because they wouldn't wait or the fact he hated IBM (like MS in those days) they didn't get it. Then MS came and bought it and sold to IBM.

The series is good because it's the only time you'll see a guy from MS openly admit they screwed the guy out of serious amounts of cash and knew it (all legal though).

• Advertisement

See its not just me who thinks Sun are soiling their undergramends
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21285.html

If you look at the closing line it echos one of my points
    Microsoft are getting a raw going over these days due to including things in their OS and forcing ppl to use them. Well this is in responce to two court cases one saying dont force an install of IE and the other being dont mess with Java. So they're basiclly doing what they were told.
    </font>

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

Right... me rolls up his sleeves
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kayos:
    See its not just me who thinks Sun are soiling their undergramends
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21285.html

If you look at the closing line it echos one of my points
    </font>

Wow, "The Register"? If they said it it must be true... smile.gif

Ok, just so as to take a particular example (and not do that think that so annoys you wink.gif)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally from The Register:

Sun does appear to have a co-ordinated anti-Microsoft policy. It has proved that it can and will resort to litigation.
    </font>

What kind of tripe is that? I'm wondering whether to laugh or cry at the stupidy of this. If one business signs a contract, breaks it, and gets sued wtf have they got to complain about? He's harping on here in some "poor little M$" vein. Get real!

Sun is a very diverse company, and sells hardware, operating systems, server and client-side applications amongst other things. (it's not as big as M$ though, who is still about 1/5 the size of IBM (which is smaller financially admittedly)). Sun is a competitor to M$ in quite a few markets, e.g. the server OS market (Sol8 vs NT/Win2K), the web back-end market (JSP vs ASP etc). Of course they have a fricking anti-M$ strategy!! Dunnes Stores have an anti-Quinnsworth strategy for gawd sake, thats what business is about. But you shouldn't have to hurt your customers or break the law to do business.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    The DOS was made by one guy who was out for the day when IBM called to buy it. Either it was because they wouldn't wait or the fact he hated IBM (like MS in those days) they didn't get it. Then MS came and bought it and sold to IBM.
    </font>

IBM really missed the boat on that one, fools... MS still laugh at them, and who could blame them.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Enygma:

As for Suns response I think it's basically petty and immature, even if they have every right to so it. A company shouldn't become successful by dissing its rivals.
    </font>

Ok, just to be clear, I am assuming that you have not read this: http://www.microsoft.com/java/issues/openletter.htm

Surely in that light, Suns response is perfectly justified.

Should a company become successful by doing the following -- changing standards (both public and proprietary) (ie Java, html, the list is endless), destroying competitors by forcing them out of the market (ie Netscape), by threatening PC manufacturers unless they bundle your OS (ie Dell, Compaq etc), by refusing to support standards if they don't like them (ie POSIX -- imagine how easy porting apps would be if they decided to support this back when they were developing NT? Hey Dav, remember The Boss? That question for the M$ muppet ... he couldn't answer smile.gif )

Anyway, back to the 2nd part of that: dissing its rivals? This is Scott McNealy we're talking about, the acknowledged tech sector King of the Sound-byte wink.gif Of course he's going to diss MS. He spoke against them at the *anti-trust* case for gawd sake! smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hugh:
    Sun have a reason to be angry, but why should Microsoft include it ?
    BTW, what is this . NET thing ? Or is it obvious and Im slow ?
    </font>

M$ should include it because in dropping it they are dropping the most popular platform for new code development (someone post the link for that will ya please).

Read more of McNealys take on it

Just don't post any more of that Register crap, please! smile.gif

Alo.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    There is a TV series called "revenge of nerds" or something like that (not the movie). They interview everyone who was big during those years. It's pretty cool to watch.
    </font>

Yeah that was called "Triumph of the Nerds" and was on Channel 4 a couple of years ago. I saw it and yes it was better than POSV. I always remember watching it at a friends house one night when I was younger (during a sleep over). I was glued to the screen while it was on. When it ended I looked around the room and everyone else had fallen asleep. Lightweights wink.gif

I have been trying to get this on video everywhere, but no joy. I would love if they showed it on TV again.

;-phobos-)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trojan:
    Wow, "The Register"? If they said it it must be true... </font>

The Register is the tabloid press of the IT industry. smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phobos:
    I have been trying to get this on video everywhere, but no joy. I would love if they showed it on TV again.</font>

Only available in VHS. Definately educational material!

Cheers m8,

But that link points to Amazon in the US (which has the NTSC version, no good over here). But I had a quick look @ .co.uk and they had it, in all of PAL's glory. Cheaper too with 2 tapes. Christ it was made in 1996, that reminds me of a time when C programming was my life (*sniff*) smile.gif

;-phobos-)

hehe, played.

Kayos, M$ 0WN35 J00R @$$ wink.gif

Alo.

OK OK the Reg might not be the best place to gain news but they are not shy of slating MS themselfs...
    Ok, just to be clear, I am assuming that you have not read this: http://www.microsoft.com/java/issues/openletter.htm

Surely in that light, Suns response is perfectly justified.

</font>

Ahhh I think your putting the cart before the donkey here that letter was in responce to the Sun Open Letter and the ads in the American national press.... So surely in that light MS's response is perfectly justified........... smile.gif

If you want to find out about .NET try http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/default.asp
    But just to give you a quick run down of some features
    • Common Runtime Libary (CLR) between all Langs (VB/VC/C#/Perl/Phyton/Cobol/Java and more)
    • Portability as code is just compiled to byte code and the CLR then compiles on the fly on the taget platform.
    • Third Party Langs can be written into .NET ie someone could write smalltalk for .NET
    • No more DLL Hell for Com developers
    • VB is now fully OO
    thats just a small list.

And Al your one to talk you Sun muppet you.. smile.gif

kayos

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

This is odd, almost 30 posts and it hasn't degenerated into a flame-fest biggrin.gif

Should a company become successful by doing the following -- changing standards (both public and proprietary) (ie Java, html, the list is endless), destroying competitors by forcing them out of the market (ie Netscape), by threatening PC manufacturers unless they bundle your OS (ie Dell, Compaq etc), by refusing to support standards if they don't like them (ie POSIX -- imagine how easy porting apps would be if they decided to support this back when they were developing NT?

Agreed, absolutely, but it still doesn't justify Suns response in my opinion. Sun should be concentrating on getting Vendors like Dell etc. to install the newest JVM during manufacturing. They should also be working on streamlining the update process.

.NET looks like an extension of the Java principle.
    Java - write once, run anywhere.
    .NET - write once (in almost any language), run anywhere.

That right? Sounds cool.

• Advertisement

1. A programming language is not an operating system.
    </font>
    Ahhh who said it was???
    2. There is such thing as the "rest of the world" when it comes to programming. So learning VB or C# is going to mean dick if your going to be working on other systems.

I can write a program in Java and it's guaranteed to run on a whole range of operating systems (well write once test everywhere) + machines. Can you say the same for C# or VB?
    </font>
    Yes once the CLR is implemented for various OS's. I'm sure Java had a period where not all OS's supported a JVM and .NET will have the same "RUN IN" period. Not only will you be able to write programs in VB/C#/C++ but any lang that is ported to the .NET platform which I have already given examples of above.
    btw, C# ported to BSD? MS are famous for fixing thier programs so they break if they are ported, what makes you think they won't do the same?
    </font>
    this is why http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/06/27/dotnet.html posted a couple of months back on the unix board

kayos

Advertisement