Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's for Dinner?

• 10-04-2005 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

Basically, the idea of this thread is that you post what you've made for dinner on the day you post, with a recipe if you like.

You know those nights when you're so tired you've lost inspiration? It would be handy to see other people's dinners to get an idea.

Today I made Pepperonata and mashed potatoes. Comfort food for a Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What is pepperonata?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sauerkraut W/mashed potato and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

What is pepperonata?

Basically, peppers, garlic, onion, aubergine, courgettes, mushrooms or any mediterranean veg and herbs cooked really slowly in loads of olive oil so it's like a really intense and sweet casserole, only with basically no sauce, just flavoury olive-oil.

Tonight I'm making a hungarian dish- like goulash only with chicken instead of beef, with loads of paprika, little gherkins and sour cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

Tonight... salad (spinach leaves, sunblush tomatoes, cheddar cheese, coleslaw, gherkins, 2 slices turkey and a little balsamic vingegar)... no time to make anything else. Tuesdays are busydays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

lasagne! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lasagne! :D
    Ditto! Or to be more precise, yesterday's lasagne warmed up, as I made too much as usual :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I made Turkish Lamb Burgers the other night & they were heavenly... first time attempting them & I adjusted the ingredients to suit us...

400g lamb mince
    1 red onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 handful snipped chives
    1 handful shredded flat leaf parsley (use Coriander if you prefer)
    1 handful shredded mint
    Salt & freshly ground pepper

It's easiest to make in a food processor (thank god for the wedding pressie I thought we'd never use!)

1. Top, tail, peel & quarter the onion, then peel the garlic
    2. Blitz in the blender until fairly finely minced
    3. Add the lamb, herbs & seasoning & give it a whizz till it becomes almost paste-like
    4. Lay out a sheet of greaseproof paper or cling film on a plate
    5. Form mixture into smallish balls & flatten out, place on covered plate
    6. When you've used all the mixture, cover with another sheet of paper/cling film & stick in the fridge for 2 hours - allows it to firm up
    7. Either grill, BBQ or fry in a DRY frying pan (lamb mince is v. fatty & needs no extra oil... trust me!). Also if frying, only cook a few at a time or the meat will steam

I make something similar, but add a finely chopped chilli and some ground cumin and coriander as well. Sometimes a bit of grated ginger too, although that would make it less "turkish", I suppose but who cares? :) The chives sound a bit out of place to me, they'd get swamped by the red onion IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

last night it was baked potatoes with sour cream, spinach and a tomato, onion and cheese omlette.

tonight - tuna chunks with black pepper, leeks, garlic, wholemeal pasta and parmesan.

j

Tonight I'm thinking about roast veg and bulgar wheat w/ lemon, fresh flat leaf parsley and finely chopped red onion & tomato stirred through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    Tonight I'm thinking about roast veg and bulgar wheat w/ lemon, fresh flat leaf parsley and finely red onion & tomato stirred through.

You do be eatin' some posh shít. Tonight I'm gonna have pizza I reckon!

I promise i'll post next time I get a Mizzoni's. Probs on Friday w/ a few beers. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Working this evening....so probably going to be noodles cooked in the microwave...with a cup-a-soup!

Mmmmm!!

Probably cheese omlette w/salad for me tonight.

A quickie chicken curry recipe I make quite often that's more like a stir-fry than a curry really. Probably most like a Jalfrezi I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pizza. Mushrooms, sweetcorn and craploads of cheese. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

hmm.. I had brown rice, with garlic, chilli flakes and cashew nuts mixed in.. and spinach with cubes of grilled chicken. yum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I had steak yesterday, I'm having steak tonight and I might just have steak tomorrow.

Now that I know how to cook it, there's no reason why I shouldn't have steak every night :D

Actually, that's not strictly true. I found 2 steaks in my freezer at the weekend, and decided to cook them this week. It's just circumstance that I'm ending up eating them on consecutive days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Hot dogs...
    my wife is out of town for a few days...
    My stomach hurts!

Farfalle w/ broccoli, chickpeas and coconut. Some pumpkin seeds on top. Salad.

• Advertisement

No farfalle so instead basmati and puy lentils with aforementioned coconut, broccoli and chickpeas. A little turmeric and some cumin. So yum. Stuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

nevernev wrote:
    Hot dogs...
    my wife is out of town for a few days...
    My stomach hurts!

I was peckish yesterday & scoffed a Statoil Hotdog ... At the time it tasted great, but I'm suffering now from it!!

If I feel better later, I'm gonna make a pasta bake, with Chicken Breasts and heaps of melted Mozzerella ... nyom :)

Pizza and Beer. Also Salad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

weight watchers sandwiches....6 hour drive...stole 1/2 bro's chips in mcd's...got home...2 glasses of red wine and a ham salad sandwich. bed now. bigbigbigbig walk tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Last night I had cod and chickpea curry with saffron rice.

Saffron is the best thing ever!

Saffron is nyom but soooooo expensive. I cheat and buy the red saffron. Tonight I will be making a massive greek salad.

Shabadu, I've just noticed, you're not "Jr." anymore? What happened?

I was getting a bit sick of it, and people didn't know whether to call me Jr. or J.R. or shabadu so I got rid. Some people thought it was Dr.Shabadu as well. Cheers for noticing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tonight's dinner is currently a bottle of 2003 Wolf Blass Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon. At this stage, 8.30pm, I'm not sure that it'll involve anything else... perhaps toast? Oooooooo, toassssssst...... and some stilton. Oh!! And those lemon and dill marinated anchovies.

Last night was roast chicken with herbs and garlic, with roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and sweetcorn.

...sometimes I like to cook after work, some times I can't be arsed.

• Advertisement

Gnocchi in a sauce with bacon bits, gorgonzola and cream, some torn basil leaves, topped with parmesan and baked in the oven, served with green salad leaves. Oh yes, and very probably at least 50% of a bottle of red wine, maybe even the same as above :)

Advertisement