Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's for Dinner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

smoked salmon bits in a cream sauce with tagliatelle...gud eatin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Shabadu wrote:
    Saffron is nyom but soooooo expensive. I cheat and buy the red saffron.

Non-red saffron is expensive then? What's the difference?

Having boring ol' pasta with aubergine & mozzarella tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭ando

my spuds are burning, i can smell them now. better run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I've never seen the red stuff here- bought it in Crete for half the normal price. I'm not even sure if it's from the same Crocus.

Tonight I'm having salad with chickpeas, baby spinach, celery, cherry tomatoes, feta, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, etc. Sunny day dinner.

Shabadu wrote:
    I've never seen the red stuff here- bought it in Crete for half the normal price. I'm not even sure if it's from the same Crocus.

I got a little box of red saffron in a health food shop in Galway the other day. Twas E2.25 for a gram and it should last for a fair bit.

• Advertisement

tbh, i've had mine for going on two years now... Gives nice colour still, but isn't as scented as golden saffron. What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lasagne. Oven is heating at the mo.

Recipie?

Dolmio lol. In a lazy ass mood tonight

Shabadu wrote:
    tbh, i've had mine for going on two years now... Gives nice colour still, but isn't as scented as golden saffron. What do you think?

I've never had the golden variety - I'm new to this whole saffron business! How expensive is it?

A quick googling reveals that red saffron is the good stuff- not golden! The cheapness must have just been because I bought it in Greece. \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

Shabadu wrote:
    A quick googling reveals that red saffron is the good stuff- not golden! The cheapness must have just been because I bought it in Greece. \0/

When you say 'red/golden saffron', do you mean the colour of the stamens themselves or the colour they lend to the food? I ask because there is the red variety of stamens and the orange kind - the pinkish-red one is cheap, I recently bought a heap-load of it from Dubai for next to nothing. It lends a pinkish colour to the food and does absolutely nothing to enhance the flavour whatsoever. The saffron that stains things yellow, on the other hand, is MUCH more expensive. I use the ever-trustworthy Tajmahal brand.

• Advertisement

I'm too confused to answer any more saffron questions. Tonight for dinner I am making Dal, Pilau rice, bhaji's, poppadoms, Sweet potato & courgette, veg etc. curry. Usually make a massive Indian on Saturdays- The boyfriends mum always has and our little family has taken on the tradition. I make much nicer Indian food than her, apparently. ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i boiled a pile of veg,
    spuds
    carrors
    broccli
    spinage
    in one sauce pan

got some strips of pork and fired them with onions garlic

had a mountain of food

after dinner i watched that steve irwan kack with a beer

PS the thing sticking out the back, is the left overs from some grapes i ate while waiting for the veg

mukki wrote:
    i boiled a pile of veg,
    spuds
    carrors
    broccli
    spinage
    in one sauce pan

got some strips of pork and fired them with onions garlic

had a mountain of food

after dinner i watched that steve irwan kack with a beer

PS the thing sticking out the back, is the left overs from some grapes i ate while waiting for the veg
    I'm speechless...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Gonna toast a cuisine de france loaf cut down horizontally, fry up a striploin steak, pour creole sauce on the loaf and put the steak on top, cover with cheddar and mozzerella cheese and place in grill until cheese melts. Then serve with a side of greek yoghurt to cool down the tongue. Reckon a budweiser to go with it and we are on our way.

The saffron that stains things yellow, on the other hand, is MUCH more expensive. I use the ever-trustworthy Tajmahal brand.

This is the one I got but for E2.25 - that's hardly expensive! It didn't have a brand though - it was just in a plastic box.

Tonight, I'm eating a casseroley yoke with chicken legs, tomatoes, garlic, basil and potatoes.

Patatas bravas and ratatouille for me tonight. Mine is red and dyes golden aswell, it cost about 3euros for quite a decent sized little box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Tonight is chicken marinated in olive oil & balsalmic vinegar, steamed new spuds & stir fried shredded savoy cabbage. Lots & lots of wine to accompany meal because hubs is out & friend is coming down to moan about her crappy husband (while I thank my lucky stars for my dote)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Currently simmering is the beef part of some vindaloo rotis. I've not made rotis before, though I'm a seasoned chipati-flattener, but I'm a dab hand at the curry so if the worst comes to the worst it'll be spread on rice, or chips... mmm... that reminds me how much I miss real curry chips. Over here it's crunchy french fries with an ever-s-slightly spicy ketchup. Boo, and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Tesco Jambalaya, yummy!

What's the deal with saffron? Normally it costs about a fiver for two stamen, but I picked up a half kilo for 70p in 1999 in Thailand and am still not halfway through the bag. I think it's crap quality or gone of though, because it's never given anything special to any meal I've added it to.

Hmmm, that reminds me, I must make some Tahdeeg - crispy Iranian rice tomorrow. I like this thread, it's amazing how you can get chef's block with all the derlishuss food out there to be ett.

• Advertisement

Tahdeeeeeeeeeeg............. With the butteryness is how I make it- it makes the bottom part even crunchier. Do you soak your rice overnight?

Must.Make.Soon. Saffron Lasts for ages, but I reckon yours is probably well over the hump now.

G'luck with the rotis, if you get the consistency of the dough right they'll be easy enough to make, and if you're good at chapatis that'll be no problem for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Currently simmering is the beef part of some vindaloo rotis. I've not made rotis before, though I'm a seasoned chipati-flattener, but I'm a dab hand at the curry so if the worst comes to the worst it'll be spread on rice, or chips... mmm... that reminds me how much I miss real curry chips. Over here it's crunchy french fries with an ever-s-slightly spicy ketchup. Boo, and stuff.
    Can't beat a "patatje oorlog" though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Snack box, outside the CA building in DCU. Stupid Assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Had pasta with pancetta, anchioves, and what ever was in the veg basket, roasted in the oven. All washed down with a bottle of wine. mmmm...

Pfff, too firm and unyielding they were, and bereft of wrappificable elasticity. But I ett em, ett em like a hoarse ates a hape o' schtrawww.
    Alun wrote:
    Can't beat a "patatje oorlog" though

Yeah, it's like "I'd like some chips, with a four-course dinner and dessert on top... and some mayonnaise, just to wet me whistle"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

fish cakes and stri-fry veg.
    all this talk of wine is making me very jealous - bloody dissertation ruins everything! i feel your pain briano :(

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

last night: Roast Chicken stuffed with lemon and freshly cracked black & red pepper, roast baby spuds with garlic & tarragon , roasted peppers, carrots & parsnips with red wine gravy- God, I sound posh.

tonight: leftovers

Salad- New potatoes, Smoked Salmon, capers, red onion, dill, creme fraiche. Some various leaves with said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Tonight was leek & gruyere tartlet from M&S with some Tesco Finest coleslaw & a big salad with lettuce, cherry tomato, cucumber, shaved onion & really fab feta cheese, all with a homemade dressing

• Advertisement

Yum, the fella brought home minstrels for dessert.

Advertisement