Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3

Options
  • 10-04-2005 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

Anyone else got this yet? A lot of my weekend has been spent getting reaquainted with the asskicker of a shotgun :) . Its such an atmospheric game. From the moment that first imp tries to claw at your face to the whispered "help me" in the pause menu. Am I the only one on this particular nostalgia buzz?

Also whoever thought of using noises normally associated with enemies instead for picking up ammo/armour/health is both a genius and a sadist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

what's a masochist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

woops meant sadist. As in enjoys watching others suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I bet it'll be even better than PC version. Except for graphics and control.

The control was actually a major reason I couldnt get into the pc version.

Normally Im not great with games requiring the dual analogue sticks but this one seems perfect. Not too jerky.

As for graphics Apart from the intro I cant say ive noticed a difference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm heading up to Newry to trade in 4/5 games for the collector's edition with doom 1 and doom 2. Lookin forward to many a dark night. Gonna play it now and then maybe again when I finally get my 5.1 systum in in the summer. (broke student :( )

• Advertisement

Oh god yeah Im gonna have to have a shot on Doom 1 at some point. Id say that will be amazing with the new engine. Is there a multiplayer option on doom 3 or just the first one?

ShiverinEskimo - The 5.1 makes it sooo much better. Curtains pulled. No light on. = :eek:

That sounds ridiculously cool.

Few new pairs of boxers is right. Can you imagine wandering around some of the hell levels with only a torch to smack the imps with. You've just decided what Ill be doing this weekend. Gonna have to try out that co-op play. how does it work though. Are you both on one screen using 1 xbox. Or is it 2 of each?

Splitscreen doesnt sound as appealing as 2 separate boxes networked. Ill look into it this weekend and see how she goes. Id imagine it should be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Apparently, you can change the wads that DoomII uses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got the collector's edition on Friday and while it looks good, does anyone else just find it slightly tedious? Sure it presses all the right buttons but the right buttons visually, aside from it the over reliance on the lack of light. And I know they tried to make it feel claustrophopic with all the enclosed corridors, but it just seems like you're being lead by the nose.

Games like Halo 2 have raised the bar from what is expected from console FPS' and while Doom 3 may be trying to stick to it's roots, I don't think it has moved far enough from them to warrant paying €60 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But a good FPS is now expected to have clever AI, a good story, interesting enviroments and variation in gameplay. Doom 3 provides none of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

LIGHTNING wrote:
    .Doom 3 is all about the darkness and atmosphere.
    Doesn't mean squat if it doesn't add up to an enjoyable experience. A lot of people are making excuses for this game coz they like the previous ones or whatever. It's a bad game(after about an hour) end of story!

Doesn't mean squat if it doesn't add up to an enjoyable experience. A lot of people are making excuses for this game coz they like the previous ones or whatever. It's a bad game(after about an hour) end of story!

Well if its your opinion then it must be right. End of story! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

LIGHTNING wrote:
    John Romero and John Carmack would be rolling in their graves so to speak if they heard people saying games like Halo raised the bar and not the Doom series.Doom 3 is all about the darkness and atmosphere, its like saying Resident Evil is crap because its all dark and moody.

Halo was one of the games that improved on the original Doom formula. Sadly Doom 3 doesn't. It's basically the same game as Doom 1 & 2 with tarted up graphics, and is a step back in the wake of Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Halo.

Don't agree about the atmosphere part either. I just finished Resident Evil 4 (which improves greatly on the original gameplay wise) and it has it in spades. Doom 3? Well it just felt boring to me - no great shocks, no scares and no reason to continue with it, if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Halo was one of the games that improved on the original Doom formula. Sadly Doom 3 doesn't. It's basically the same game as Doom 1 & 2 with tarted up graphics, and is a step back in the wake of Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Halo.
    I think that was the origianl idea. The old Doom games are classics. They gave us what we wanted, an updated shiny new doom with cool pinky demons. I wasn't expecting HL2 standard, it did exactly what I wanted and hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I have to say i think its great .......
    very atmospheric and surprisingly jumpy in places, amazed how good it looks compared to the PC version ,
    i bought the collectors edition ,as far as i can see you can only play co-op on system link or live , not split screen.
    I think Doom3 does what it says on the Tin, great ambient sound , great graphics and straight forward shooting , what more can you ask for ??
    There are nices touches such as PDA and audio logs to fill in the gaps , it's certainly one of the best FPs's on the xbox and well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

a little tip for those of you using headphones ( my wife is studying atm !)
    if you go to settings/game there is an option for headphones and it actually makes quite a difference!

LIGHTNING wrote:
    felt like playing a part in a good horror novel.

Thats kinda the way I felt about it too.

offtopic: resi evil 4's graphics, wow. Who knew the cube was capable of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

LIGHTNING wrote:
    PS Im glad you enjoyed Resi 4 Super_Furry I have always enjoyed the series but after looking for the same key/emblem for the last 4 games I couldnt take it anymore.

You should play RE4. I never like any of the other RE games but this one takes a different direction and it is one of my all time favourite games.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads im stuck in doom 3
    im stuck where this monster comes down from a ledge the monster looks like a dog
    is there any way i can kill this fecker
    this monster tries to brake through a door but cant so goes through the a big window instead

and when i run away this other monster the ones who throught balls of fire come in a try to kill me

sorry but i have no manual so i dont know the monsters name

any body have idea what im on about

really need help here

• Advertisement

its the pinky demon. just use your shot gun. two shots and it is dead

Rabies wrote:
    its the pinky demon. just use your shot gun. two shots and it is dead
    oh right
    2 shots you sure

i shot him a lest 4 times

ill try again cheers mate

doom 3 is brilliant

ya two shots will do it if you get up nice and close :D

Rabies wrote:
    ya two shots will do it if you get up nice and close :D
    that pinky demon is a fast fecker

does your speed decrease as your health is down

Dunno. only playing the game since yesterday. Just past that point myself. he never got a chance to take a bite out of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Rabies wrote:
    I think that was the origianl idea. The old Doom games are classics. They gave us what we wanted, an updated shiny new doom with cool pinky demons. I wasn't expecting HL2 standard, it did exactly what I wanted and hoped for.

I have to agree 100%, from the outset this has always intended to be a retelling of the origional story, and I think it pulls it off brilliantly. The gamepaly was never ment to change that much, the main emphesis was on creating a unnerving atmosphere and updating the graphics.

I got the Collectors Edition the other day, unfortunatlly I have only played it for about 10 mins so far, but I have been very impressed with the mood the game sets, I actually really don't want to see whats behind the next door, great atmosphere for a game!! However the story is very basic in comparison todays games, but thats exactly the point! :D

Just got to/past the guardian last night. He's bloody impossible until you realise the technique for beating him. The boss after him (Sarge) where you get the BFG is a bit dissapointing imo. Glad im out of hell tbh :D my heart couldnt take much more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

have to say, hugely disappointed in it. so tedious and monotnous its unreal. once you grasp the basic formula its all the same, ok so when i hit that something is going to jump out from behind me. ahhhh now im scared!!!!

REVIEW CLICK HERE best review of the game yet, and exactly how i feel about it.

exactly, every game is formulaic to a certain extent. If it werent you would spend the entire time adapting to the new environment, and how it interact with it.

The whole idea of that game is to scare you. I facilitated it and allowed it to scare me, I enjoyed it for what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Yeah I do agree that games have to have a certain amount of formula about them otherwise as you rightly said you'd have to learn a whole new enviornment every time. But it just seems to me that in doom3 they tried to much to stick to the old doom/quake formula that was a huge sucess in the 90's but games have moved on since then and the shadow monsters etc... dont cut it anymore.

Having said that we are really hitting a point where everything has been done already and any release of a game can be said to be a revamp of something else.

Advertisement