Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Recipes

Options
  • 10-04-2005 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Following on from purdee's idea, I thought we could post our healthy recipes here. I'm following Weight Watchers right now and enjoying it, but a big factor in the success is not getting bored. The great thing about Weight Watchers is that all foods are permissable, as long as you stay within your Points allowance.

Please use this thread to post your healthy recipes to give all of us fatties on a diet things to keep us interested.

Here's something me and my partner (who's not dieting) have been enjoying lots recently.

Chicken and Vegetable Kebabs

Microwave some chicken breasts carefully until tender - not letting them get dried out (use one breast per person). Cut each chicken breast into about eight large chunks.

While they're cooking, mix a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of chilli sauce in a small bowl (this will cover 4 skewers generously). Chop up an assortment of your favourite vegetables into chunks - I use lots of mixed peppers, onions and button mushrooms.

Take two wooden skewers per person, and thread them with the cooked diced chicken and chopped vegetables. When ready, brush them well with the chilli and honey sauce, and place under the grill until the peppers are beginning to char slightly.

Serve with 1/2 a jar of spicy salsa per person for dipping, and a large mixed salad.

Total points per person: 3.5

Delicious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

My wonderful perfect too gorgeous for words friend passed this on so i named it after her. it's called Brona Soup.

1 cube of chicken &1 cube of veg stock
    An onion chopped finely
    Mushrooms sliced
    Some ginger
    Some chilli
    Chopped corriander
    Plenty of water.

Put onion, ginger, chilli & corriander into a pan & heat until onions are soft.
    Add mushrooms & stock & simmer for 5-10 mins.

Tis so so so nice!
    Use whatever quantities you prefer according to taste.

Kinda don't even want to share this recipe cuz it's so good...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ive got the weightwatchers recepie book. if anyone wants any of the recipies,ill put them up here?
    i did ask for a diet forum but this diet toipic is covered in fitness apparently. imo, a section of diet is covered in the fitness forum ....the section where you want to put it on or build it up. very little is dedicated to losing it.
    my favourite salsa recipie:
    4 plum tomatoes - really ripe - practically putrid- smallish dice, drain in sieve if you want
    1/2 red onion - very fine dice
    2 spring onions - cut on a very thin slant
    1 red or green chilli - very very fine
    juice of 2 limes
    olive oil...not too much....dont be greedy!
    lots of corriander - simple slice
    be generous with the freshly groung black pepper but take it easy on the salt.
    the best bit of this recipie is the 2 red peppers you will roast, skin and puree and add into this recipie when cold. this is what makes the salsa so special. it is completly woth the effort.
    anchovy can be added - maybe 2 for this size recipie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I love my home made kebabs!!

Slice a large onion and a load of mushrooms
    Gently cook in a small drop of olive oil
    When soft, drop in a pound of Round Streak Mince or Lamb Mince
    Cook over a medium heat
    Whilst the mince mix is cooking, slice up some red and white cabbage [I like my cabbage chunky] and mix together in a bowl with a couple of desertspoons of extra light mayonnaise
    When the mince mix is cooked, put 2 small pitta breads in the toaster and gently toast [only really to heat them up]
    Open each pitta & spoon a small amount of the cabbage mix into it, followed by the mince mix
    Pour some chilli sauce over the mince mix [I use HP Chilli Sauce]
    Serve with a good serving of the cabbage mix [with more Chilli Sauce over it]

Edit: A pound of mince goes a long way, so that normally serves 2/3 people ... I'm not a lard arse really :D

I always have 2 mini pittas rather than one large, because it seems like I'm eating a lot more when I'm virtually eating the same amount!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Cut a large selection of peppers, onions, mushrooms and courgettes into large chunks - quarters or eighths. Peel six or eight cloves of garlic. Place all of the vegetables into a large oven proof dish. Sprinkle liberally with green herbs and lots of salt and black pepper. Drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and toss slightly.

Place in the oven until all vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, prepare 1.5 pints of chicken stock in a large saucepan. Use at least two stock cubes.

Remove the vegetables from the oven and add to the blender. Blend to the consistency you want - I like to leave this soup quite chunky. Add the soup puree to the stock in the pot. Add more stock if you'd like a thinner soup. Should serve a minimum of six.

This is absolutely delicious, but ensure that you have added plenty of herbs, salt, pepper and stock cubes. Serve in warm bowls with brown bread and butter.

For the WeightWatchers: this has an almost nil points value, but if you want to be fussy, add one point per large bowl (from the olive oil).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Healthy eating thread and the first word in your first recipe is "Microwave" ???

• Advertisement

Tsk, microwave snobs. I thought you were going post a recipe.

It has been said that eating microwaved food

* Increases cholesterol
    * Increases white blood cell numbers
    * Decreases red blood cell numbers
    * Causes production of radiolytic compounds (compounds unknown in nature)

but this is only in excess, and also, the studies do not say what *kind* of food they are talking about.

If I was eating highly processed convenience foods every day cooked in the microwave then I might worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Tsk, microwave snobs. I thought you were going post a recipe.

It has been said that eating microwaved food

* Increases cholesterol
    * Increases white blood cell numbers
    * Decreases red blood cell numbers
    * Causes production of radiolytic compounds (compounds unknown in nature)

but this is only in excess, and also, the studies do not say what *kind* of food they are talking about.

If I was eating highly processed convenience foods every day cooked in the microwave then I might worry about it.

Grab yourself a Foreman grill for doing the chicken man, nothing to do with being a snob, he does have a point. I was thinking the same, like this is the cookery forum and you're posting microwave recipes :eek:

I'm not posting "microwave recipes". Cook your chicken any way you like. I posted a recipe for grilled kebabs. I microwave the chicken breasts because it takes 2 minutes and I have a pretty busy lifestyle.

I don't own a Foreman grill and this is not a thread about gourmet food. It's a thread about good recipes you can eat while losing weight. And having worked in a restaurant kitchen, it's not as though the Foreman grill is used in catering. Whereas, the microwave is, actually.

Damn fascists! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

I'm sure there are endless variations on pasta + tomato based sauce recipes but here's my favourite as I hate pasta sauces out of jars, it's low fat, and it's extremely quick to prepare. Serves 4.

1 tin sweetcorn
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    Rashers (I use Tesco Healthy Living back bacon or you could use turkey bacon if you're being super healthy, bear in mind it cooks in approx 1 minute)
    Onion
    Herbs (Oregano, bolognese seasoning, bay leaves etc)
    Garlic (1-2 cloves depending on preference)
    Tomato puree
    Spoonful of sugar
    Olive oil

Chop up the onion and bacon into small pieces, fry in a saucepan with the garlic until cooked through.
    Throw in everything else- the two tins of tomatoes, drained tin of corn, tablespoon of tomato puree, and the herbs to taste. I usually throw a tablespoon+ in. Stir, and simmer over a low heat for 30 mins.
    Voila! Serve with pasta of your choice.

You could season it further with salt and pepper but I just don't like them. Sometimes I throw in a chopped chili for an extra kick. By the way, like all tomato based recipes, it tastes even nicer the next day.

Another low-fat thing I make is chili con carne with turkey mince. I buy the seasoning in a packet in the supermarket but I can't remember what brand it is, sorry! Turkey mince can be bland but if you use it in something heavily seasoned like chili it's not bad.

HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

Thanks Great recipes I'm going to try the kebab one tonight with the pepper salsa!! Nom nom!! My fave has to be five spice chicken! Fry some chicken and add five spice once browned. Then add lemon juice and soya sauce and ginger. Finally add some chopped scallions and Amoy medium noodles... Nom nom nom

Wish we had more replies on this thread!! Is there a "here's what I had for dinner last night healthy version" ?? Because readin through some of the posts on that thread are really makin my mouth water.

Would love more recipes people :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try the Nutrition & Diet forum.

This thread is 7 years old, so I'm locking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    This thread is 7 years old, so I'm locking it.

Think you forgot something!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oops :o.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement