Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratches on my *new* Thermaltake 775

Options
  • 10-04-2005 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Bought Thermaltake Silent 775 Heat CPU-Cooler new from Komplett, but when I opened it I spotted some scrathes on the back copper plate. Attached in the two pics. Wondering if it will still work to spec, or should I return it?

Id be surprised if these scratches appeared in transite, as the packaging cant allow that to happen. And there was nothing in the packaging to cause the scrathes. So was this a return product?

Pictures were taken through the packaging to combat the flash effect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

They're very heavy scratches. I'd be surprised if they were on a new, factory shipped HSF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

U could return it r lap it urself... My Cpu waterblock is scratched to bits(tis second hand), gonna remove it n lap it ltr this week when i get a decent thermal compound..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It won't make any more than 1-2c difference. I know it's not acceptable but it's either lap it, send it back or live with a 1-2c difference in temp.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Lap ? Excuse my nobbery but what does "lap" mean :)

I think Ill return it, its not of merchantable quality for a new product...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Google it. lapping is when you use wet & dry sandpaper to smooth the base of the heatsink down to give it better heat transfer ability.

• Advertisement

erk! fupp that. Return it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Returning it will take two weeks, lapping it will take 5 mins.

Principle of that thing. I forked out cash for something that is clearly not as it should be. Doesnt bother me if returning it will take 2 months....

Advertisement