Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Moderates the moderators

Options
  • 11-04-2005 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am a great fan of this site but when I see posts from so called moderators it really pisses me off.

I am guessing moderators need to possess even the slightest degree of tact and maturity

See the link below and the post from "Hugh Heffner" detailing the repercussions of reposting a certain item.

If such a comment came from a regular user they would surely be reprimanded, the fact that it came from one of the trusted few moderators I believe he should be banned or at the very least moderator status be removed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244168
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

First of all, report the post.

Second, he's not a moderator of After Hours, he's just a normal user like you. The mods of AH will treat him the same as anyone else.

Third, if you've reported the post - give the mods a chance to do something about it before moaning on here - they aren't on 24/7 standby awaiting your reports you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sillild wrote:
    If such a comment came from a regular user they would surely be reprimanded,
    Actually no they wouldn't. Outside of the forums they moderate, moderators are just normal posters, and get treated like them.

I PM'd Mr. Hefner, the same as I would have PM'd anyone hwo made that comment. It's in bad taste sure, but I don't think it warrants a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

they aren't on 24/7 standby awaiting your reports you know...

Damn you seamus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

He posted it about 40 mins ago. How do you know he isn't going to be reprimanded?

Mod's are NOT superhumans. The very same rules apply to them as to you and me. The only thing Hugh Heffner has power over is the Juggling forum - no offence to him, but hardly the most important of topics out there.

Can we have a sticky for this sort thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The moderator moderators

edit:
    don't knock juggling. how many other forums discuss an ancient art practised thousands of years ago by Taoists monks in their quest to re-enter Eden? Less than ten.*
    It makes your brain bigger too.

*(personal issues, archery, philosophy, spirituality, paganism, art/anim/photo, creative writing, gardening/DIY).

• Advertisement

Was there really a need for two threads on this?

After checking up again, Mr. Hefner is a Hosted moderator - these aren't real Moderators in that they Moderate forums that are here as a favour, essentially. There are't really the same "controls" on who becomes a Hosted Mod because they're considered to be outside the main public forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Moderators are doing a service, hosted ones are getting a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

seamus wrote:
    Was there really a need for two threads on this?

After checking up again, Mr. Hefner is a Hosted moderator - these aren't real Moderators in that they Moderate forums that are here as a favour, essentially. There are't really the same "controls" on who becomes a Hosted Mod because they're considered to be outside the main public forums.

Yes apologies for posting twice, But I meant to post it here and by the time I realised there was too many replies.

I must admit I am not Au fait with boards hierarchical structure and would Imagine a juggling Moderator holds little or no status. I just find this really offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

sillild wrote:
    Yes apologies for posting twice, But I meant to post it here and by the time I realised there was too many replies.

I must admit I am not Au fait with boards hierarchical structure and would Imagine a juggling Moderator holds little or no status. I just find this really offensive.

whereas talking complete sh!te affords you the status of "utter twat".

edit:

By making such a song and dance about this you drew lots of attention to something that hardly anyone would have seen otherwise. You could have said to hugh that you were offended by it and he would have deleted it. But no; you go in for these annoying amateur dramatics.

I'm guessing your line of thought went something like this:
    -"who moderates the moderators!?" yeah that's funking genius! I'll post trhat here, and on two other forums to show my brilliance. And I'll say things like "au fait " to show how clever I am on the thread, and how much of a righteoous dude I am too by being really offended by that. Chicks are going to dig me. yeah!

Actually you wouldn't have thought that because that would demonstrate a level of self-awarenes and you wouldn't be such a twat if you had any of that.

:)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I DO im god around here

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This thread is here too`!"? why for the love of god, why!?"!?

Also merc, they aren't "real" moderators. There's a certain amount of vetting before people are modded on the main boards. There's none for private boards. Now feck away ya wee grumpy gobsheen. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Who Moderates the moderators

Coast guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Not the Air Farce?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

sf.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What a sad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Boston wrote:
    What a sad lot.

Boston sheds a lone tear for humanity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What, moderating B/M for a few years? Perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

China, what happened to you man? You used to be cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

- they aren't on 24/7 standby awaiting your reports you know...

Slacker.

sillild wrote:
    Imagine a juggling Moderator holds little or no status.
    The nature of the board isn't relevant or conducive to a person's "Status", though in general, the more experienced and better known Moderators will be given control of the bigger and busier forums (Politics for example). There are always exceptions though.

I think I may have failed to explain what I meant by "real" moderators properly (it was late, and Merc is pedantic). It's not an exercise in ego massage, or a feeling or superiority, it's a different type of board. Hosted Mods (and yes, I'm one of them as well) are given control over a specific little community because they had requested the board (usually).

Check out the Wiki entries for [wiki]Hosted Forum[/wiki]s and [wiki]Hosted Moderator[/wiki]s. (It makes no difference that I wrote them :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

@OP

I'd imagine that the Admins moderate the moderators, and as to who moderates the admins, God Himself??
    (See amps helpful thread in the Newbie forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Every post has a report button. Reguardles if some one is a mod or hosted mod
    elsewhere who ever is mod in the forum they are posting in will enforce the
    forums rules. If the post that is offensive or against the charther/rules of the forum and it was made by a mod of that forum you can report it to a) the other mods of that forum, b) the admins or c) both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

psi wrote:
    China, what happened to you man? You used to be cool!
    Hey China still cool.

Actually I moderate the Admins, in fact they are all just macros running from my machine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I can see these 'moderators are bold people' threads becoming as popular as the now defunked 'why did i get bad rep' brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

pwd wrote:
    whereas talking complete sh!te affords you the status of "utter twat".

edit:

By making such a song and dance about this you drew lots of attention to something that hardly anyone would have seen otherwise. You could have said to hugh that you were offended by it and he would have deleted it. But no; you go in for these annoying amateur dramatics.

I'm guessing your line of thought went something like this:
    -"who moderates the moderators!?" yeah that's funking genius! I'll post trhat here, and on two other forums to show my brilliance. And I'll say things like "au fait " to show how clever I am on the thread, and how much of a righteoous dude I am too by being really offended by that. Chicks are going to dig me. yeah!

Actually you wouldn't have thought that because that would demonstrate a level of self-awarenes and you wouldn't be such a twat if you had any of that.

:)

Surely you should be off somewhere balancing a bar stool on your chin with some thread-bare girl fire-poiing around you or whatever nonsense you jugglers get up to.

Sillild was really just trying to point out the unbelievable offensiveness of a statement like "I'll rape a little girl" used in the context of humor, which I happen to agree with, and for you to say "By making such a song and dance about this you drew lots of attention to something that hardly anyone would have seen otherwise" just shows that you are someone of limited intelligence. I'm sorry but by your logic making a song and dance about the Berlin Wall was just drawing attention to something that hardly anyone would have seen... sure it'd be still up there now and wouldn't that be great. Haven't you ever heard of the right to protest... or are you too busy playing with your balls? Bean filled one's that is... I doubt you could find your own.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

pwd wrote:
    The moderator moderators

edit:
    don't knock juggling. how many other forums discuss an ancient art practised thousands of years ago by Taoists monks in their quest to re-enter Eden? Less than ten.*
    It makes your brain bigger too.

*(personal issues, archery, philosophy, spirituality, paganism, art/anim/photo, creative writing, gardening/DIY).

What was that you were saying about trying to get chicks to dig you......

Advertisement