Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMail?

Options
  • 11-04-2005 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Whenever I goto Gmail.com it asks me to download gmail.com (Whatever that is)

No web page loads. It's been happening since Thursday. Whenever I try from a lab or something it works fine. I'm lost... anyone know what it is ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bytecon

That is strange .. try visiting it at the following link : http://gmail.google.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'm starting to hate gmail.
    It only works for me in college. Let's me get to the login screen on firefox at home, but then it loads a blank page. Doesn't open at all in IE, just get an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Only started using it recently as an aside from my real accounts.

While we're on the subject, the interface looks like FisherPrice Email to me. Don't like it at all.

Haven't encountered any problems connecting as of yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I cleared all previous internet files cookies etc.

Works ok now.

But still it was rather annoying. Anyone else ever get the same prob ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I had a problem with Opera, a few months ago where it wouldn't let me
    login, but that was Operas fault.

I only have problems with Firefox when I have very little bandwidth, ie
    when i have a load of stuff downloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

The one really good thing about Gmail is that you now get 2gigs of storage and with some freeware from sourceforge.net you can make your Gmail account appear with your drives as a virtual drive. All you do is drop files into it and they get attached to emails and are stored away in Gmail. When you list the files in your Gmail virtual drive it behaves exactly like a normal drive (if a bit slower). Handy if you forget your pen drive.

Heres the link: http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Makaveli wrote:
    I'm starting to hate gmail.
    It only works for me in college. Let's me get to the login screen on firefox at home, but then it loads a blank page. Doesn't open at all in IE, just get an error.

That used to happen to me too. Problem was my firewall was blocking the site. Try adding GMail to your trusted site list, it might clear up the problem.

That is if you trust them enough to do that! ;)

Mike_Hunt wrote:
    The one really good thing about Gmail is that you now get 2gigs of storage and with some freeware from sourceforge.net you can make your Gmail account appear with your drives as a virtual drive. All you do is drop files into it and they get attached to emails and are stored away in Gmail. When you list the files in your Gmail virtual drive it behaves exactly like a normal drive (if a bit slower). Handy if you forget your pen drive.

Heres the link: http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Gmail actively zaps any accounts that use this trick.

Its against their TOS so beware! :eek:

nesf wrote:
    That used to happen to me too. Problem was my firewall was blocking the site. Try adding GMail to your trusted site list, it might clear up the problem.

That is if you trust them enough to do that! ;)

Tried it, didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Cleared the cache and deleted the corresponding cookies in both firefox and ie, no change.
    Is there anyway to get GMail to work through Thunderbird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

try this: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/h/6wa9lp0yimgt

will bring you to the HTML version of gmail.

• Advertisement

That worked, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Yes, Google supports POP3. You must enable it first.

Gmail -> Settings -> Forwarding and POP

In relation to the problem you're having, have you tried accessing Gmail on any other PCs, etc at home? Also, this may sound odd, but when you get to frontpage and you enter your username and password (I assume you see that page okay), you submit and get a blank page... try selecting the URL and pressing enter. Whenever I tried to access Gmail in TCD on Internet Explorer, it always get a blank page when logging in. Refreshing the page/url seems to work.

Also, have you installed any new software or changed any major settings in Windows recently? ;)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

One would hope that they've managed to resolve it sometime in the last 16 years. 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Pah, this Google thing is only a fad- will never catch on.

Ask Jeeves on the other hand,that bad boy is going places.

Advertisement