Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the young grey players?

Options
  • 11-04-2005 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

In FM05 and all previous CM games i've played, there are players in the reserves and juniors that are grey in the main list, and don't have contracts.

I've heard various opinions on what this is, but i want to know for sure. I assume it's some kind of thing about not being able to offer them a contract because they're too young, but why, and do they sometimes disappear, or do they automatically become white at some point, and how can i make use of them!

tell me everything i need to know about these strange grey people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They're not real players. They're basically "filler" because you don't have a full squad in your Reserve or U18 squad. If you have a very small first team squad , they will appear there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

That's bizarre! and kinda disappointing. I was hoping they were some sort of youth team. Is there a real-world equivelant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Bringing supporters on to play for you when half your team is sick :)

Most of the time you will see some 'grey' goalies in your squad if you dont have enough. They also pad out the youths/reserves. They could be attributed (i suppose) to people that train at the club but are never going to make it? They never seem to be any good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I thought everybody would know / could figure out what these "grey" players were.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Balfa wrote:
    Is there a real-world equivelant?

Another couple of injuries at Liverpool and we might just see one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

In the older versions of CM in a scenario where I had to play one of these 'grey players' they played a superb game for me, but then of course I wasn't able to pick them again because the player would be gone again...

....maybe he decided that sticking to his studies would be more beneficial :mad:

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i remember playing as milan and there were loads of these players and some of them were amazing but unfortunately i couldnt tie them down to long contracts....oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you check the lower leagues there are always loads of them. The same if you play a team from a small country in europe.

It's something that's always bugged me. Occasionally the players can be very good. I'd love to see some way to offer them a contract and add them into the database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Hehe, well it's quite simple really. These players are randomly generated in other leagues becuse most likely you have not selected to play them leagues at the very start of the game. These 'grey players' make the game run faster because it doesn't have to keep a database entry for each.

They are figments of the game's imagination......

Advertisement