Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd yr Discrimination

Options
  • 11-04-2005 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

what the fluck is the story with 2nd years not been allowed to apply for campus anymore, im living there 2 years now and due to a minor exam blip am going to hopefully be in 2nd yr but now i actually have to get off my ass and look for somewhere to live not made any easier by the fact that i live way into the west and im not back from america till 9th of september. i do think its really unfair tho whats the diff between a 2nd and first year livin there,
    also does anyone know if its hard to get glenomenia i know some final years do get it but whos to know if i tell a porkie or two on the app form, on account of my student number saying im in final year and all that, do they actually check??? :cool:
    PS this is all hugh bradys fault Quote from jacinta in the accom office "new president new rules"
    fcuk him anyway :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

You probably wouldnt have much of a problem getting Glenomena, but you really have to pay for it! Rent there is meant to be quite high, and thats why its easier to get than the other places. I think the 1st years are favoured with Res, because its their first time in college, living away from home ect ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

You've to be in your fourth year in UCD to get into Glenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

From my understanding, 2nd year students who were in Res for 1st yr can't reapply but 2nd years who weren't in Res/didnt get into Res in 1st year can apply and be accepted.

I hope thats the case anyway, im gonna apply for res in may when the forms come out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

yer one in the off told me that only 1st and final yrs of any course could apply foe roebuck merville or belgrove!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

If they would take you in Glenomena they shouldn't. Taking 4th years is fine given the free spaces but postgrads clearly need a different area from undergrads.

Just find a house; it's good life experience.* No really.

*And you actually get an oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

out with the old, in with the new, by forcing you out in in 2nd year, they hope you never come back looking for res...

UCD can't house every student from the country, so i think it's best that priority is given to poor young 1st years, in the sinister big smoke for the first time... you've been here a year, a seasoned veteran returning for a second tour, you should be able to get the bus to college all by yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

1st years definitely deserve priority for res. Its only fair for the poor souls coming up from places like G-G-Galway and Mhaaaaaayo that they should get accomidation on campus. Did anyone read about this in the Observer before the easter break? Apparently there has been people from Ranelagh living is res! :eek: Absolutely ridiculous that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fergalscully

Folks just to clear up some stuff.

Everyone is allowed to apply for res.

First years and final years have priority for normal applications.

Door to door commuting time from home to UCD on public transport will be a significant critertia for evaluating applicants.

Medical/Disability special needs will be given special consideration. Applicants should indicate their needs on their application form and a consultants letter should be submitted. All years can apply on this basis.

Evidence of a special contribution to university life may be taken into account.

Students with entrance scholarships will be given preferential treatment with regard to places.

If the first year and final year places are left unfilled they will be given to other undergraduate students.

Canvassing for places will disqualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Medical/Disability special needs will be given special consideration.

Out of interest does this apply to those with mental disorders also, and at an equal level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Everyone is allowed to apply for res.

First years and final years have priority for normal applications.

Well i dunno about this because i went in last week and ur one in the accom office would not even give me an application form so if this is the case like you say that everyone is allowed to apply for campus then mr scully as president of the union you had better look into it asap :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Medical/Disability special needs will be given special consideration. Applicants should indicate their needs on their application form and a consultants letter should be submitted. All years can apply on this basis.

Evidence of a special contribution to university life may be taken into account.

I know two people who were on crutches and applied for res. They both got TOP FLOOR apartments.

special contribution to university life should not factor into it.

Glenomena is a rip-off when it comes to heating costs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Would I be right in saying none of Merville / Belgrove have lifts... fat lot of use a top floor is then. I believe there's a lift over in Roebuck but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ive lived in roebuck and belgrove so hav been lucky-moved out in 2nd year and it is true it is good life experience to find ur own gaff.so i think its good 2nd years dont get campus.but every year ive lived on campus at least one of my neighbours has been from dublin city-its odd-one guy was from stillorgan and his dad was an arts lecturer-hmm suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

That sucks so bad. I'll just beg. I can't afford anything more expensive plus my family will be in England. Do international students get preferential treatment too? Hope so.

UCD don't reply to emails. If there's any other info on this please let me know! Thanks.

http://www.ucd.ie/observer/v11i11/n-res.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

special contribution to university life should not factor into it.

Sounds like someone isn't contributing to university life!

Advertisement