Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moveing people from tables

Options
  • 11-04-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

As you know we are running the st v de p tourney on friday week.
    I have read the normal way of moving players.
    At the kilmurry tourney( I know how bad it is) they did it a different way and I was wondering what you lot think of it and the reasons behind it.
    The way they did was say there was two tables one with 9 and the other with 5 .
    he would have a draw of cards with the two highest cards at the 9 table going to the 5 table.
    I asked him why he did it taht way and his reason was that he didn't want it said that he waited until it would suit some one he knew whether to move them or leave them at the table. That the draw of cards was the fairest way to do it.
    what do u think?

james

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

It depends on how you define fair, ideally you shouldn't be punished in terms of blinds for moving tables. Sometimes this happens anyway, e.g. when a table is being broken down and the free seats are close to the blinds, but the effect should be minimized where possible. If the criteria is that the least difference is made, you can move the player that is as far away from the blinds as the free seat on the table he's moving to.

Benefit of moving the next BB is that no-one is disadvantaged even if the only free seat is the next BB, and usually the player being moved is compensated with some free hands for having to adjust to a new table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

Oh, and if you can break the tables without stopping the clock for yet another ten minutes do.

Quickest and smoothest table breaking I've seen is using the seat cards in the Fitz.

Say a table of nine is being broken down, 9 cards with the free seat and table numbers are thrown out onto the table and people pick them at random.

If the clock is still running people will find their seats quickly enough and the game stays moving. Granted you could get an unlucky draw in terms of blinds but in a big game I think it beats having the clock stopped for 10 minutes every half hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeh, the fitz is pretty good at that sort of thing. Never had anything to complain about there

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I prefer to stop the clock when breaking a table as its unfair on the other tables (and there could be a lot of them) who have to wait for players, particularly table 1 downstairs if they have to wait for someone to get to their seat before play can continue on that table.

My view is that if you freeze the clock and the play then for intents and purposes you have frozen time in the game, rearrange evreything to where it should be and then unpaused it... The card system works well now but the only difference is that its a random draw so the guy who was last big blind could find himself UTG again while others get the button on a different table. C'est la vie I guess....

DeV.

as its unfair on the other tables (and there could be a lot of them) who have to wait for players

Let them play on... They'll know they're getting a new player when the new player turns up carrying his card.

Personally I just don't like it when a tournament drags on for an extra couple of hours because of the number of times the clock has been stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I prefer the clock being stopped as well; it's much fairer on any short stacks being moved... they could lose 5 minutes or more off a level. Plus, any short stacks on tables waiting for the new players wont be too happy about seeing the clock ticking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

bearing in mind all will be in one room, I would keep going, shouldn't take a min or two and keep the game going, I think I will go with the card draw with highest going to first table etc.
    With 10 at a table to start I assume you break/move when 3 go out on any table.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ah hang on, we're talking about a 2 minute break, even given 9 tables that no more then 15 minutes of clock stoppage. Hardly hours...

Whats to stop someone standing aside keeping an eye on his table (say table 1 in the Fitz) and then choosing when to sit down once the blinds have passed his seat. Also, what about the play that the players who are MOVING will miss...
    IMHO its better to stop the clock and do things cleanly then to be rushed trying to get everyone to their seats. You forget that most poker players can tell you the odds of a flush draw but cant keep two single digit numbers in their heads for 5 seconds!

DeV.

ah hang on, we're talking about a 2 minute break, even given 9 tables that no more then 15 minutes of clock stoppage.

2 X (9 - 1) > 15 ;)

couldn't resist that one... sorry

Back on track, I've seen nights where each time the clock gets stopped something gets confusing or something goes awry with wrong seat numbers and the clock seems to stay stopped for fifteen minutes at a time. I know this isn't the general case and 2 hours is probably an exaggeration.

However, I've also seen tables broken where the cards were prepared and without anybody even noticing it was coming were dropped onto the table as soon as a hand ended and where everybody hurried along to find their seats because the clock was still running.

Table broken with at worst 30 seconds of time lost for each of the players who are moving and no time lost for the players on the other tables.

It impressed me. But I get sleepy as the night drags on so maybe I'm campaigning selfishly. :)

Advertisement