Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup: Portadown vs Cork City *will contain scores from 7.15pm*

• 11-04-2005 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight 7.15, City travel north for the first time. A win for City will put savage pressure on the other 2 teams. Gamble is suspended which is a blow, but Colin O Brien should ably deputise. If City play as poor as they did against UCD, Portadown will win this, but Id imagine Rico will have them well up for this one.

Prediction Portadown 1 - 3 City.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

A win tonight would set City up to win the group. It is currently out of Shels hands.

I expect a draw but am hoping City can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Looking forward to a good game. I'd say 2-1 Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on Portadown!

gimmick, I take it this means you aren't travelling up then?

Will be myself when Shels are playing, the club are doing a special, only a score for the bus up and back, included is the match ticket too, too good an opportunity to pass up on.

I really hope this match is a draw, or Portadown win, it'd really throw open the group, and increase Shels chances of progression. Gamble being missing is certainly a blow, but lets hope Georgie Boy can stay on his feet tonight eh?

Hopefully it's a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Sean, any idea what time the bus is leaving Dublin at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

For the love of god COME ON PORTADOWN!

Realistically, Portadown haven't a prayer of getting a result in the Cross imo, so assumeing Cork beat them at home a win for Portadown tonight would open the group up beautifully and, I think I'm right in saying, qualification would actually be in Shels hands. Which is nice.

Can't see it happening though I'm afraid, but it'd be nice. I notice Cork haven't played a Northern team until they're well into the season whereas we got Portadown right at the start, bloody fixture conspiracys. I guess Cork "really did their homework" on this one ;)

• Advertisement

SteM, I'll try to find out for you.

I do know though, that it is through the club, and there are some restrictions on who can travel, I'll see if I can find these also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seansouth does the score inc a kevlar jacket?

Cork better win / shakes fist

kdjac

seansouth wrote:
    SteM, I'll try to find out for you.

I do know though, that it is through the club, and there are some restrictions on who can travel, I'll see if I can find these also.

Cheers. Myself and a friend were thinking of heading up. We were hoping to pick up match tickets from the club and make our own way up but I don't think that's on the cards now.

There's nothing on the site that I can see about a club trip, but sure there might be something in this Friday's programme about it.

Sorry to go OT.

If anyone is watching this match, can you please put scores and stuff in this thread?

I'm stuck in work, and the game is not on livescore.

Cheers.

Normally this is the last place I'd recommend to follow a match live onlinie, but it seems it's your only hope...

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p222.htm

The first goal should be stuck up in the next couple of days.

• Advertisement

:D

Cheers Slash/ED

I have a half time report
    Nil all ht. Long ball crap from both teams. City slighty the better team. Slightly.

1-0 Cork.

Kevin Doyle, about halfway through the second half.

Come on Ports.

1-1, not sure who scored for Portadown.

10 minutes to go.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I just turned it on and its 1-1 with 10 mins to go

Possibley the most mind numbingly poor game I've had to sit through. Cork, when they played with it, played well and between half time and when they scored, they were destroying Portadown. But Portadown are a very physical very dirty side and Cork can't cope with that, O'Callaghan bottled it and didn't want to know. Cork played poor but quality wise are a far far better side, but they can't match their physical game, they missed Gamble badly in that regard.

I've no doubt that Cork will beat them at home though, and now it's back in Shels hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i think Fenlon has his eyes on Europe and isnt giving this competition 100% but hopefully we can go through passed the group stage. I see Cork winning at the X

I think Cork will beat them at Da Crosstm too.

But I can see Shels beating Portadown up there (of course :D ), so then it's down to the Shels Cork game at Tolka.

FORZA SHELS

On the evidence of tonight Shels can win up there, definitely. It wont be easy and they'll try to kick us off the park as they did in Tolka but we should have the quality to win. If that happens, Shels v Cork is effectively a cup semi final, some game that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

yeah cork shels semi final would be a real cracker !!:D I would prefer it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Slash/ED wrote:
    it's back in Shels hands.

City 4
    Ports 2
    Shels 1

All played 2.

Its still very much in Citys hands, though the group is more open that had City won. Shels Vs City - May 2 will be the decider IMO, but a draw for City will effectively eliminate Shels, as we will beat Portadown in Turners X.

As for the game tonight, it was possibly the worst first half I have ever seen at any level ever. Long ball rubbish from both teams.

City missed Gamble. Dan Murray is a liability. Denis Behans little run is over. Tonight was Neal Fenns' type of game.

Very poor crowd at the game. Only report of 'trouble' I got was a golf ball catapulted into the City fans.

Some interesting times ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So as it stands now

Cork played: 2 : points: 4 :
    Portadown played 2: points: 2:
    $hels played 2: points: 1: :)

So assuming Cork and $hels both beat Portadown it leaves cork on 7 points with shels on 4.(Cork have it easier as they are at home and Shels are away!)

Cork defo favourits now!! It will be tough for portadown and shles to catch up and by the time they have to play shels away it will probably be all over!

Nice one! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Damm beat me to it!

jank wrote:
    So assuming Cork and $hels both beat Portadown

by the time they have to play shels away it will probably be all over!

If you're assuming that by the time Cork play Shels that match will be a group decider, it wont be over.

^^^ To assume is to make a fool of you and me.

Once that game rolls around, no matter what the result of Shels/Portadown, a draw will be perfect for City. City need 4 points from 2 games. Shels need maximum points, and who would bet on ye getting them? Ye have started poorly, and in a pressure situation, anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

jank wrote:
    So as it stands now

Cork played: 2 : points: 4 :
    Portadown played 2: points: 2:
    $hels played 2: points: 1: :)

So assuming Cork and $hels both beat Portadown it leaves cork on 7 points with shels on 4.(Cork have it easier as they are at home and Shels are away!)

Cork defo favourits now!! It will be tough for portadown and shles to catch up and by the time they have to play shels away it will probably be all over!

Nice one! ;)
    You seem to be forgetting Shels v Cork in Tolka, which if Shels win will leave ourselves and Cork on 4 points each....

On a side note, how many Cork players are suspended for the Tolka match? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh i would rather play Cork in Cork than away.

Better chance of a win.

kdjac

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    On a side note, how many Cork players are suspended for the Tolka match? :)

Bennet and Danny Murphy. Bennet will be a big loss, but Greg O Halloran will slot in easy for Murphy.

City have a decent record in Tolka. Im in total agreement with what KDJAC said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That was a terrible game. Cork came down to their level.

I thought Protadown were a dirty team. Im suprised no red cards were shown. Cork's skillful players were given no protection from the ref. I counted 9 challenges that were all from behind and were very dangerous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement