Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diana Krall....how do you really feel about her?

• 11-04-2005 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Ok, I had a conversation with a pianist recently (female) who absolutely hates her. Said that she is Pop-jazz and that she is only popular coz of the way she looks, said that she is the worst singer she has ever heard and that she can't play piano for sh*t.

Now, I personally think that this is a bit harsh, I think that she is a very good piano player, I do think her voice isn't very good, but she has never proclaimed to be a great singer, its more out of necessity that she sings I think but she does write some very good melody lines and is a good improvisor.
    Anyway, I like her, but our discussion got me wondering what other jazz lovers think... so cast you votes now, and please comment to....

Love her or hate her? 2 votes

Love her
    0% 0 votes
    Hate her
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kt_hughes

Diana Krall... headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kt_hughes

I just don't like the versions she does of songs. In fairness some songs are fine, but others just seem to whine on a bit?

Yea, point totally taken. I see what your saying, she does whine on a bit. I can't help liking her though, she is a great piano player and I love the changes she brings to classic's, her verson of The way you ware you hat is just fantastic or How deep is the ocean... she has put a great style on them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sorry to say this saint something
    but of all the stuff you sent me on that disc, I think I liked her the least, can't even say why, but you know how some music you just think is wonderful, some you just hate, and some just doesn't do it one way or the other?
    well
    she doesn't do it one way or the other (you left that option out of your poll btw ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I love Diana Krall's earlier CD's which are in my opinion smooth and very easy to listen too ! I was raging when I missed her in Dublin 2 years ago ! ALthough she covers song extensively she has smoething about her!

Listen to 'When I look in your eyes' and 'Love Scenes' less comercial to the new stuff which was very poor !

(btw she's foxy too !! Norah Jones eat your heart out !)

Drapper wrote:
    Listen to 'When I look in your eyes' and 'Love Scenes' less comercial to the new stuff which was very poor !

Oh no I hate "When I look in you eyes", far to wishy-washy for me.

Beruthiel wrote:
    sorry to say this saint something
    but of all the stuff you sent me on that disc, I think I liked her the least, can't even say why, but you know how some music you just think is wonderful, some you just hate, and some just doesn't do it one way or the other?
    well
    she doesn't do it one way or the other (you left that option out of your poll btw ;) )

No worreies, she's not to everyone's taste, I just happen to think she's very, very good! But that's just me :)

Oh no I hate "When I look in you eyes", far to wishy-washy for me.

Which Album do you like ?

I love the one that has when I look in your eyes on it... can't think of the name of it now. And I really like The Look of love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Where's the mneah option on that poll, i neither love nor hate her, some songs are good, others are grating.

Look of Love the old Bur Barkerack tune ? Am i right ?

Advertisement