Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing pedals

Options
  • 11-04-2005 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to remove the pedals on my road bike as I want to replace them with the clipless kind. I know that you have to turn it anticlockwise on the right side and vice versa for the left side.

However the pedal just wont budge, anyone have any tips on removing stubborn pedals from a bike??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

vigos wrote:
    I'm trying to remove the pedals on my road bike as I want to replace them with the clipless kind. I know that you have to turn it anticlockwise on the right side and vice versa for the left side.

However the pedal just wont budge, anyone have any tips on removing stubborn pedals from a bike??

You could try using a pipe to create a longer handle on yer spanner.
    Or try the local bike shop.
    I had a stuck pedal once, brought it in and they had some long handled spanner that did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the long handled spanner thing is the bizz.

You can try spraying WD40 on it to loosen it up, but it may just need a whole lot of torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Try;

* Spray liberally with some easing oil like WD40, leave for a few hours and try again.

* Some gentle heat treatment should loosen things up.

* Tap the end of the spanner gently with a hammer - sometimes the shock loading can move it.

* Long handled spanner is best first try, the increased leverage works well

* Don't be afraid of breaking it, the bike shop won't be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

yeah I've tried spraying it with WD40. Must try and see if I can stick a pipe into the handle of my pedal spanner.

The other problem is trying to hold the crank in place while trying to loosen the pedal as the whole thing moves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Careful if you go for the heating option. The suggestion that you are going to clipless to me means you have spent some money on your wheels. Heat needs to be applied by hot oil or water, application of flame in some metals will cause surafce hardening and initiate a crack which will rapidl;y progress by meatal fatique.

Go to Bike shop with the kit. They have experience of these things.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help, had another ago at this last night with no luck! Wasn't going to go for the heating option. Think I will just bring it to the bike shop instead!

well brought it to the bike shop even they couldn't get it open! they were suggesting to take a blow torch to whether they were joking or not is another thing! I settled for replacing the chainset, so now I just need to get used to my new clipless pedals!

Advertisement