Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

+ 353 ???

Options
  • 11-04-2005 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I've noticed on some of my phone number entries the "+353" prefix. Does this make any difference at all if I'm in Ireland ? i.e. does the phone work it out it'self ?

Also, if I'm using a spreadsheet to create my contacts, does it matter if I leave out the leading zeros & plus sympols ? i.e. will the phone work it out (again)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

iMax wrote:
    I've noticed on some of my phone number entries the "+353" prefix. Does this make any difference at all if I'm in Ireland ? i.e. does the phone work it out it'self ?

Also, if I'm using a spreadsheet to create my contacts, does it matter if I leave out the leading zeros & plus sympols ? i.e. will the phone work it out (again)
    The +353 makes no difference when dialing in Ireland, just means if you call the number when roaming, it'll work.

If you're using a spreadsheet either have the number in the format +353 or 08x, it doesn't need to be consistant for it to work in Ireland but just putting 353 may mess things up (not actually sure if this answers your question)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

iMax wrote:

You can specify a mobile number in 3 ways.
    08* - the local number and will only work in ireland
    +3538* - alias for international number
    003538* - full international number.

When you make a call/send a text using 08* or +3538* the number may be expanded to it's full number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

i did a spreadsheet with just 3538******* before and it works fine
    if you dont put in the 353 you cant dial them from outside of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

wolfman wrote:
    i did a spreadsheet with just 3538******* before and it works fine. if you dont put in the 353 you cant dial them from outside of ireland
    True - but you also need the + or 00 in front of the 353 if dialing from outside the Republic. Unfortunately, O2's webtxts fail to put 00 in front of the number of the sender, so if you text someone in England via webtext, they can't reply back directly. It works from within Ireland itself, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Dialling "+353xxxxxxx" within Ireland makes no difference and is recommended if you are likely to roam, as you will need the international prefix to call your Irish numbers in that case.

The reason the "+" is used rather than "00" is because while most countries use "00" for international calls, some (such as the US and South Africa) will use other prefixes (e.g. "011").

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

OK, the new problem is that the spreadsheet is converting the "+353" to "+I7353"...

Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I also notice that you can send text messages fine to a number of the form 35386xxxxxxx, but you run into trouble ringing it, even from within the Republic. Numbers of the form +35386xxxxxxx or 086xxxxxx work fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

iMax wrote:
    OK, the new problem is that the spreadsheet is converting the "+353" to "+I7353"...

Any ideas ?

Highlight the cells, then right click and click on 'format cells'. Change this to text. That should work??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

The +353 makes no difference when dialing in Ireland, just means if you call the number when roaming, it'll work.
    No it won't, you'll need to prefix it with 00

fletch wrote:
    No it won't, you'll need to prefix it with 00
    Not on a GSM network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

iMax wrote:

Any ideas ?

Put an apostrophe in front of the plus ie. '+3538xxxxxxx You won't see the apostrophe in the cell but the plus will show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not on a GSM network.

In australia the international code is 011 and the + doesn't work. Least it didn't in the past when you were replying to texts or missed calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

From my experience, using +35386 didn't work in Paris about 3 year ago so it would seem that some networks support it and some don't. Works fine in the states though.

- Neil

BrianD wrote:
    In australia the international code is 011 and the + doesn't work. Least it didn't in the past when you were replying to texts or missed calls.
    theothernt wrote:
    From my experience, using +35386 didn't work in Paris about 3 year ago so it would seem that some networks support it and some don't. Works fine in the states though.
    Worked for me in Sydney, Paris, Melbourne and La Rochelle within the last three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Worked for me in Sydney, Paris, Melbourne and La Rochelle within the last three years.

Works in Croatia, Hong Kong, Canary Islands, UK for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

kasintahan wrote:
    Works in Croatia, Hong Kong, Canary Islands, UK for me too.
    Using a + to denote international numbers should work all over the world, on GSM networks as mentioned. It's defined in (I think) the GSM association specs (and maybe even by the ITU). Using the number 112 (rather then 999, for emergency services) is a similar example of this.

If you were on a network that didnt allow you to dial with a +, it was probably an error on the part of that network.

Advertisement