Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialing in to an external modem connected to router

Options
  • 11-04-2005 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Anybody ever set up something like this?

Here is my problem. I have a SMC7004 router connected to an IP camera and a serial modem. With a PC attached I can connect to internet dialing out through modem but the modem will not answer incoming calls.
    Will this setup work or do I need something differente.g. an old fashioned LAN modem which I have been unable to acquire.
    Please no suggestions regarding ISDN or broadband as the only alternative where this is located is satellite link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Are you sure the router is configured for incoming calls? To be honest I don't think that dialing into a router will work. Which specific 7004 do you have? The SMC site lists a few of them.

I guess you could at least try a modem init string ATS0=0 to enable incoming calls on the modem but whether or not the router will answer the call is anyone's guess. An alternative solution would be to have a PC with a modem instead of the router and then configure the PC for incoming calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Thanks for the reply. Its the smc7004ABR UK V.2

I cant see any way to issue the init strings in the router config.

I can't use a pc because all the gear has to go into a 12" weather proof encloure mounted well off the ground. What I really want but can't find is one of the old lan modems that could be configured for dial in :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

C Fodder wrote:
    Please no suggestions regarding ISDN or broadband as the only alternative where this is located is satellite link.
    It's in Afghanistan?? ;)
    C Fodder wrote:
    I can't use a pc because all the gear has to go into a 12" weather proof encloure mounted well off the ground.
    There may still be options: a Mini-ITX mainboard is 7" square. There are also SBCs, like WRAP and Soekris boards.

It's in Afghanistan??

Felt more like Siberia last friday. As this is being installed in a hard to reach area I would prefer not to use a PC of any sort instead something hardware or dedicated. Having to get a ladder to the bloody thing every time it bluescreens isn't my idea of fun. If DSL was available in the area or even a way to tap into the wireless broadband service that passes overhead (no line of sight - hills) then there would be no problem but until miracles happen ........

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Linux doesn't do bluescreens. ;)

If there's wireless broadband passing overhead, there's a way to get broadband to this device, probably involving a standard installation somewhere else and an access point with a directional outdoor antenna.

I'll say no more, 'cos I don't have an answer to the question you actually asked, but it's always a good idea to think laterally about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

That Router does not have a modem, rather a serial interface that connects to a modem. You will need an external modem that conects to the phone line and the serial port on your router.

The external modem would answer the call.

Because you don't have a modem you can't issue the init strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?doy=11m4&source=15&criteria=external%20modem

Links to some modems on the Maplin site that might be usefull for this application.

C Fodder wrote:
    I cant see any way to issue the init strings in the router config.
    If you download the manual from SMC's website and look on page 53 you'll see the modem config.

A lot of the newer routers are nothing more than embedded Linux running on dedicated hardware. The mini-itx route could help you out if no other solution is forthcoming. Worth thinking about.

Dingding, just reread my original post and realised I didn't make it clear. I have a serially connected external modem.

fatherdougalmag, setting modem initalisation string to ATS0=1 which should force modem to answer on one ring doesn't

• Advertisement

Well I guess that means that your router doesn't support incoming calls so you'll have to think of an alternative solution. Is it an option to have the router periodically dial a connection to a machine under your control and then have your machine receive a still image from the camera? Or does the camera need to be under real-time control? Do you have any information about the camera make/model? Maybe someone out there has something similar set up.

Advertisement