Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Environment

Options
  • 11-04-2005 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

What do you use when coding? What IDE? This question is mainly aimed at people developing software under Linux. So far I have been using KDevelop. I like the fact that I can see source files - and expand them to see their functions. But I want to experiment - and see what you guys are using. Can vi or emacs view the source files like this?

Thanks for your time,
    sj.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eclipse runs nice under linux. It depends really on what you are writing in though. A guy in work swears by emacs.

vi was designed to annoy normal people. Just memorise 3 commands in it and then say its the best editor ever and everyone will think your a linux expert. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I use JEdit with loadsa plugins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Vi was designed with masochists in mind, tbh. I tried using it to add a few lines to a config file once, and ended up buying a years supply of Regaine after it...

Personally, my editor of choice in JBuilder, on both Windows and Linux. Last time I tried Eclipse, it felt bogged down with stuff that wasn't really needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

EMacs is great foro C / C++ at least from what I've seen (Once you get the hang of all the commands) GVIM is quite nice as well... true about the 3 command thing :D

I personally like Eclipse for Java and PHP stuff. When I use .Net amazingly enough Visual Studio.Net is my prefrence :p

If doing C on windows I have a nice little compiler called "Miracle C" quite nice indeed.

Of course most of those are just editors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Eclipse is great for Java, though it has a horrible attitude towards the file system, and likes to pretend to be a standalone OS. For C and C++... whatever you think, really. I use EMACS. For PHP and such... I use jEdit, but that IS a little perverse of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Cheers for the replies lads. Everyone in work seems to be using Emacs and/or vi. I've used Emacs for developing code before, but that was just single source files - and I have being using vi for about four years so I know my way around it faily well. I'll find my preferred preference which I will stick with soon enough I guess :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Vi is handy to know, because it's practically guaranteed to be on every flavour of *nix ever! Plus Vim is quite nice as a code editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Then again, there's always ed. Or TECO ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tempest

rsynnott wrote:
    I use jEdit, but that IS a little perverse of me.

jEdit is an excellent editor in many ways. Very powerful plugins and plugin manager. I tend to use it for scripting languages etc, as you can edit remote files over ftp and have a telnet session all running in one window. sweet. :cool:

I tend to use eclipse for java development. The latest versions are nice. I haven't really used NetBeans but it seems more than adequate.

The C/C++ ide in eclipse doesn't look too bad either, but haven't used it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

gVim all the way! There are a lot of plugins over on http://www.vim.org. And you can write scripts in perl or python.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Eclipse is the main choice here for large projects.

vi is fantastic, specially when you use it with (for example) ctags and make.

If you just want to write code you're probably better off with Eclipse.
    There's no point learning vi and so on just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eclispe 3.0 actually has keyboard layouts to mimic many of the popular editors. For example emacs and Vi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

gVim? That's cool, vim for windows, there's alot emacs for windows which has gotten alot of good reviews.

Advertisement