Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it bad if you get caught driving by yourself on your 1st provisional?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

and you shouldn't really be slaloming through traffic either. The right hand lane is for overtaking, flash the drivers out of the way :D

If you go straight through a round-about, you should be in the left hand lane and you should only really go when there is adequate room to go meaning you wont be caught in the muddle of people nearly scraping off you. Unless you go on the right hand lane to go straight through and there is bad traffic etc etc. :o

Fair play on the saving for the car anyway and fairer play for passing your test at 17. How much is your insurance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On that note, I know this has been asked before but I don't think it was answered, is it illegal to drive with L plates when you have your full licence?
    Could have sworn I something about UK police giving penalty points for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

PlayaFlow wrote:
    ok a few points:
    yes i know that indicating LEFT&RIGHT when going straight through a roundabout is the rule
    had to do a F***g slalom around all the cars on the M50 , feckin retards ( DO they not know that the speed limit is UP TO 120kmh , and both lanes are moving at 90kmh driving side by side!!! , grrrrr)

Right, you've passed your test, you don't know the correct procedure at a roundabout, you weve in and out of traffic on a motorway because they're not going fast enough for you, and you think *learner* drivers are the problem? Jesus man, get a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Could have sworn I something about UK police giving penalty points for that.
    I think you may be right. Back when I were a lad just learning (well before penalty points) I was driving while my qualified GF was sitting beside me. We were coming up to a section of motorway, M2 to Coleraine, so I pulled in and we swapped over. We forgot to take down the "L" plates. Got pulled over by the cops on the motorway. They were not best pleased, gave us a right bollixing for wasting their time. Would not be surprised if there were points for it now.
    MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Right, you've passed your test, you don't know the correct procedure at a roundabout, you weve in and out of traffic on a motorway because they're not going fast enough for you, and you think *learner* drivers are the problem? Jesus man, get a clue.

Are you not meant to indicate going straight through a roundabout?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC when going straight through a roundabout you do not indicate until you pass the last exit off it before yours and then indicate

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

LFCFan wrote:
    if the political will was there they could easily cut waiting times for the driving test. Set up temporary test centres wherever they can, hire a crap load of testers (qualified instructors could do it as a part time job)
    That's the problem. There is no regulation of instructors. Any eejit can set up a driving school, and plenty have :mad:
    LFCFan wrote:
    There should be Driver Ed. in school here too. If they need to make room for it, get rid of Religious Studies as it's the greatest waste of time and resources in school
    Even more so than 15 years of compulsory Irish every day?
    :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PlayaFlow wrote:
    ok a few points:
    yes i know that indicating LEFT&RIGHT when going straight through a roundabout is the rule, but waht bugs me are those oblivious drivers that think this is most important , ...instead of being aware of other exiting cars and cars beside them, it means u have to watch for them not to scrape of you.
    you know the type : when ur stuck behind them and they cant even see you in the mirror and theyre driving parrallel to a car in the lane beside them at the same speed, and then indicate like 2 miles before takin an exit , and youre like : "GO FOR F***S SAKE, YOU FECKIN RETARD" in ur reaonably priced 02 d supermini with feckin L plates.
    You know, I usually only reserve personal abuse for complete an utter morons who try to point out a whole pile of other people's "faults", but just end up looking like a complete idiot themselves, but in your case.....oh wait.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yes, when going straight through a round-about, indicate once you pass the exit before your exit.

I think religion is a terrible waste of time, especially with so many different cultures now attending our schools. It should be changed to a basic coping with life class. This could be a problem in the Christian Brothers Schools though :rolleyes:

And all schools should be mixed too!

To answer the original question. It really depends how good a mood the garda who pulls you over is in.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

mathie wrote:
    Are you not meant to indicate going straight through a roundabout?
    :confused:
    rules of the roundabout:

Left - enter the left lane (if there is one), indicate left and go left.
    Straight - enter left lane (if there is one), pass first exist on left and then indicate left to exit on second exit
    Right - Enter right lane (if there is one), indicate right, then indicate left once you've passed the second exit.

It's not rocket science and if you have any idea of how to use roads it should be simple to figure out. For some reason though, too many Irish people haven't a clue what to do once they hit a roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LFCFan wrote:
    rules of the roundabout:

Left - enter the left lane (if there is one), indicate left and go left.
    [strike]Straight[/strike]Second Exit - enter left lane (if there is one), pass first exist on left and then indicate left to exit on second exit
    [strike]Right[/strike]any subsequent exit - Enter right lane (if there is one), indicate right, then indicate left once you've passed the [strike]second[/strike] exit before the one you intend to leave by.
    1995 rules of the road on the middle page. - Have a look at Walkinstown roundabout some day to see how it isn't supposed to be done.

I reckon most Irish roundabouts could get an extra 20% throughput if people used them properly

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

1995 rules of the road on the middle page. - Have a look at Walkinstown roundabout some day to see how it isn't supposed to be done.

I reckon most Irish roundabouts could get an extra 20% throughput if people used them properly
    you know what I mean. A Basic roundabout will have 4 exits/entrances and what I stated is what you do for a basic roundabout. People were talking about going straight through a roundabout etc etc. There are some roundabout with 6 or more exits and there's one in England that is a mixture of more that 5 roundabouts around each other. Imagine one of them in Ireland :eek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

i know the feckin rules of a roundabout for gods sake!, i was just tellin you what i hate and see other people do.
    I dont think i would have passed my test indicating wrongly.
    anyway , to be honest i never indicate anymore when driving straight thru, just when taking the left or right.
    Another pet-hate is when u drive by someone in a bus lane ( AFTER 7pm ) and then they beep u and flash you ,.......goddam idiots. Drivers here dont show enough initiative and thought when driving , they drive like a robotically programmed cars designed do maintain a fixed speed and followin the white lines on the road like its a religion or somethin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

PlayaFlow wrote:
    ii never indicate anymore when driving straight thru, just when taking the left or right.

Most of us realised you don't know how to negotiate a roundabout the first time you posted. No need to reinforce this belief twice more.

To keep on topic....posts like the above demonstrate that passing your test is absolutely no guarantee of driving competence (a point I realise some other posters have made).

Advertisement