Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What think ye of Chiefs?

• 11-04-2005 4:02pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on the Kaiser Chiefs? I wasn't a fan when I 1st heard Oh My God but since then my curiosity has been awoken. I still can't decide; are these guys are good or just jumping on the bandwagon (let the pun alone, I didn't mean it)?

I'm waiting for some sort of encouragement (discouragement) before I decide whether to get the album.

Auf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I got the album.

It fizzles out a bid towards the end, but all in all its good, especially for a debut.

I predict a riot, was a great single too.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

It's balls.

OMG and I predict a riot are alright. Very good "pop" singles.

Despite that, when i heard the album i did not like it at all. I think there just hyped nonce-sense. Tho they put on a reasonably entertaing show live.

In conclusion, do not buy the album. Invest in getting something else. Vote me in the forth coming elections.

Recommendations for recent albums that are better than the Kaiser Chiefs...

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Ambulance LTD - Self Titled
    The Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Beck - Guero
    The Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowwhere.

If you listen to any marroon5 in the meantime, i'll hear about it and will personally come round and relieve you of your "cool" badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

the album is a lot of fun, very catchy.

but I doubt they'll last much more than the one album... they're 2005's buzz band, like Franz Ferdinand last year...

I went to see them in the Ambassador last week - they put on a fantastic show

Bloc Party & the Secret Machines are great too, and the one Ambulance Ltd song I've heard is pretty cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Because they are an indie-pop band everyone just jumps to the assumption that they are 'sh*te'. Well i love the chiefs. Employment is a fab album but I would admit it does drag out towards the end. Employment is probably the 1st album for the last 11 years to come anywhere close to Parklife. The chiefs make me feel like its 1994 all over again which can only be good! Wooooo! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, I think they're great too and a breath of fresh air from the clone-a-likes of The Strokers, Killers, Ravonettes et al. Probably the best new band I've heard since Tilly and the Wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I like the album a lot, its got a big range of style which beats the endless monotony of some albums.
    Recommendations for recent albums that are better than the Kaiser Chiefs...

I definitely don't agree with that, I don't get Silent Alarm at all, I think Employment is much better. Check out The Futureheads too, a great listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

comet wrote:
    I like the album a lot, its got a big range of style which beats the endless monotony of some albums.

I definitely don't agree with that, I don't get Silent Alarm at all, I think Employment is much better. Check out The Futureheads too, a great listen.

I don't like to be brash over other musical tastes... but WHHHAT???

"Employment" has been the biggest dissappointment for a good long while.

Open lines of the album

"Everyday I love you less and less
    It's clear to see that you've become obsessed
    I've got to get my message through the press
    cause everyday I love you less and less"

Come on???? you can't be serious????

Na na na na ??? the only tracks off the top of my head that have got away with that are "Hey Jude" by The Beatles and Kula Shaker's cover of "Hush" by Deep Purple.....

Recent great albums

Futureheads - Futureheads
    Postal Service - Give Up
    The Raveonettes - Pretty in Black ( sounding good so far )
    Redjetson - New General Catalogue
    The Bright Eyes - Digital ash in a digital urn
    The Books - Lost and Safe
    The Dresden Dolls - Dresden Dolls ( 2004 I know, but under appreciated )
    The Earlies - These were the Earlies ( this year wasn't it? or have I been grossly misinformed )
    m83 - before the dawn heals us
    Patrick Wolf - Wind in the Wires
    Teenage Fanclub - Man-MAde ( also sounding good )

All recent, most within the last 4 months..... all better than "employment" methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

By saying Employment is a good album i'm not saying the others aren't, i have a lot of the ones you listed and I like them. But when can an album be judged by its first 4 lines, is this some new method that you are championing?? To be honest I don't see anything wrong with those four lines and I could easily take a so called "classic" album's first four lines and show you something much more ridiculous, so I don't think that stands up at all. As for Na Na..... yeah its silly, i think its meant to be, its just a bit of fun and i imagine would be even more fun live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I cant believe someone has judged a whole album by four lines. IMO opinion Everyday I Love You Less and Less is one of the finest indie/pop songs for years and is a f**king classic. Its obvious that the Kaisers wont be to everyones tastes (esp. serious indie fans) but this band's hype I feel is completely deserved. Employment is going to be one of the albums of the year and I guarantee that in 6 months time they will be as big as Franz Ferdinand.

By the way Silent Alarm by Bloc Party is a fabulous album aswell but there is no way anyone could possibly compare the two bands. Bloc Party are far more edgy and the Kaisers make indie/pop anthems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I cant take to Bloc Party, but Kaiser Cheifs are good, its a good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

i havent heard the album at all but out of curiosity went to see them in the ambassador. Thoroughly enjoyed the show but not what i can see myself playing more than a couple of times should i ever get the album.

They are great fun songs. But you gotta have a little depth and variety to avoid being sickly sweet.

To the guy who said it comes close to parklife, the singles I would say yes, a fair point, but from what I heard at the gig, they lack the strength of the likes of 'this is a low' to back it up- it's like they tried for 12 bouncy singles but unless you're Brian Wilson it's just not possible. Im a firm believer that albums like blur - blur depend on songs like 'you're so great' nearly as much as song II and beetlebum, the likes of The second Coming depends on 'tightrope' as much as love spreads and 10 story love song AND if you were more with the masses discovering definitely maybe a little late rather than a day-of-release buyer, remember the feeling you got after hearing the singles already on the radio, when you discovered slideaway. jesus! Same deal with the stone roses first album, my favorite album track ever - this is the one. makes me wanna stop playing guitar!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

Yes Yes Yes! Within a year as big as Franz effing Ferdinand! (read: dull Gang of 4 rip off) Truely as a musician i aspire to be as big as them! Yes, thats what is all about, not writing good music. :rolleyes:

The Kaiser Chiefs are very well marketed and not a great deal else. Live they aint good, on record they aint good.

I cant wait until next years Kaiser Chiefs, and the year after that... ad infinitum till someone puts me out of my misery.

Oasis still valid?
    Guitar music back in the charts?
    Great load of nonce-sense?

Remeber the NME is the offical word of God. Between my Bravery hair cut and Karen 0 self styled avant garde clothing, i just cant find the time to write something original, guess ill just aspire to be like someone else ho hum.

"In 15 minutes everyone will be famous" Andy Warhol

Edit: Oh and go listen to Tom Vek.

Advertisement