Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone's upgrade policy for contract phones?

Options
  • 11-04-2005 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a colleague who's been on Vodafone for years on contract and his sellotaped Nokia 3410 is slowly dying. He's had that phone for the best part of two years (if not a bit more) but Vodafone say he's not eligible for an upgrade. I think he's on their basic monthly package.

How much does one need to spend on calls with Vodafone (contract) before one can get an upgrade? It sounds crazy (but true). If you're on PAYG, it seems you can upgrade whenever (at least on O2) but not so with Vodafone contracts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Well my dad upgrades about once a year, he is on the same basic monthly package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

byrnefm wrote:
    Hi,

I've a colleague who's been on Vodafone for years on contract and his sellotaped Nokia 3410 is slowly dying. He's had that phone for the best part of two years (if not a bit more) but Vodafone say he's not eligible for an upgrade. I think he's on their basic monthly package.

How much does one need to spend on calls with Vodafone (contract) before one can get an upgrade? It sounds crazy (but true). If you're on PAYG, it seems you can upgrade whenever (at least on O2) but not so with Vodafone contracts...

Yeah, but they dont subsidise phones as much on PAYG

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I upgrade every six months with vodafone bills about €200 every month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

byrnefm wrote:
    Hi,

If he's on Light or Eirtime 10 and not spending much, normally he'll have to wait 24 months to get a loyalty upgrade. He can threaten to move onto o2 or Meteor (their new post pay deals are quite good) and Vodafone might then force an upgrade onto the account. Or he can just go and actually move onto o2 or Meteor. Even on the 'light' options, you can get phones for free. If he's out of contract, there's nothing stopping him doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i spend about €50/month and its still going to take 20 months or so before i'm eligable for an upgrade

the first upgrade i got took 12 months, the second about 15 months, this one seems to have taken much longer (if any one from vodafone is reading this - feel free to force and upgrade on my account)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This is because (AFAIR) Vodafone's policy used to be that every 12 months you'd get an upgrade. They changed it. So now if you spend a lot, you'll get it before 12 months, if you dont spend very much, you'll have to wait two years. It rewards the higher spenders. In Vodafone's eyes, 50e/month isn't too much. They have customers who spend as much in a month as you spend a year.
    But as I said, you can move operators every year and get First Time Connection prices so if you're pissed off you haven't got an upgrade or whatever, just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You could just cancel as it's gon ebeyond the 12 mmonth contract, then start a new "1st time connection"

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

he could buy a RTG phone as new customer, the new sim card will come with a heap of credit, just put the billing sim card into the new phone and then sell the new sim with all the credit on.... he could end up with a decent phone for a really good price if he sells the new sim card with the credit on... if you can't beat them, join them and play them at their own game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

threatening to move to another operator is always a good incentive for them to get their arses in gear

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used to make a habit of looking out for deals on the RTG bonus packs. Buy the phone, sell the credit.

Then I was due an upgrade, so I switched my contract to our corporate acocunt in work, and got meself a V800 (mmmm) for peanuts. Sweeet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

an upgrade, if the customer is not a high spend customer, it is a max of 24 month before they can avail of an upgrade, after 24 month they are entitled to one.
    It was the policy within Vodafone, that if a customer had a spend of over 900 euro within a year they could get an upgrade whether entitled to one or not

As for your friend, if he rings up Vodafone (as he's over 2years without and upgrade)and says he's going to move to O2 or Meteor, more than likely he will get an upgrade pushed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Simple

if within contract 2000+a year upgrade
    if outside contract 1000+a year upgrade

if outside of contract doesnt spend 1000+ a year then you will get a loyalty one after 2 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

TCP/IP wrote:
    I upgrade every six months with vodafone bills about €200 every month

is that for business or personal or both? what do u do for a living that u use 1000 minutes a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Surely if you are out of contract you can just:
    - get a new first time connection with Vodafone
    - using number portability keep your old number

AFAIK that's even cheaper than upgrade prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I don't know what you lot are doing wrong but I pay around 35 Euro a month on my personal contract, vodafone mobile and I upgrade once a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I don't know what you lot are doing wrong but I pay around 35 Euro a month on my personal contract, vodafone mobile and I upgrade once a year!

Again this is possible unlikely tho , They also judge a customer by there loyalty as well .

Advertisement