Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how did the irish oral go???

Options
  • 11-04-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

hey, had the irish oral ths morning..n i dont think that i was the only one feeling sick waiting outside!! but this is no exageration..we had the nicest examiner ever....he let you keep talking until you shut up with no interuptions!!! but was bit shocked he didint ask nething about myself or family or my area..
    he went straight in to talking about school "inis dom faoi do scoil"
    elaborate!!! i must of said eveything and anything!! he just sat there looking nodding and smiling!!then about the education system and what changes i would make if i was the minister for education.
    then about sport and do i feel that sport is important in young peoples lives.
    then about the problems of teenagers in ireland today...drink drugs pressures...and asked how i would solve the problems.
    i must have been saying something right..the time flies by...he turned off the tape and i was like nooooooo iv loads to say!!! he said that it was obvious that iv been to the gaelteacht so he wanted to push the hard stuff...
    all in all im happy with how it went...and hope you all feel the same????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

I was really surprised on how easy it was to get through. I just taked as long as I could on everthing she asked and only had to get prompted once.

Took my time on my irish passage, but was a bit uneasy starting off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

didnt think any of the irish started till next week!?! or so the leaving cert timetable states!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

sorry cutie18 but ur wrong lol i sure as hell had my irish today and it wasnt pretty!!!

ok slight exaggeration it was pretty good except for the sliocht i was a nervous wreck and managed to feic it up completly!! i'm dissappointed coz it was my best one!
    the questions were ok...our examiner didnt ask any modh c q's thank god!!!... she asked me about the sugar factory and unemployment, the pope [which i brought up by talking about italy/rome] and the luas which i brought up kindof talking about shopping in dublin, oh yeah i mentioned i'd been to KYLIE's concert last week and she asked about that.

is anyone else lookin back on their oral and thinkin oh i wish i'd said that or why the f did i say that i'm such an eejit!! etc.
    Can you believe its over!!! such a weird feeling! imagine that that 15mins was worth 25% of irish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

hte sugar factory.....good god i wua f.ed that up!!!!!! ye they shud really leave the passage till the end....my voice was completly shakin!!! think the irish orals dont start till nxt week in places that rnt dublin for sum strange reason...mates in galway have it nxt week n the french n german ones this week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

just found out they do it in two weeks [ie one week french german the other irish and vice versa] because of examiner shortages!!

oh by the way sarahg i find ur sig very intriging!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

ye dreamt i was mates birthday n we froze smirnoff n put candles etc!!!! was strange n she didn appriciate it eitha!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Cutie18Ireland, it's different depending on what area you live in. In Dublin anyway, I think most of the northside schools have Irish the first week and foreign language the second week, and the same in Kerry and Wicklow. In the southside of Dublin, however, they have foreign language the first week and Irish the second. I'm in a southside school so I've Spanish on Wednesday at 10.15 and I'm in SUCH a panic!! Apparently the examiners are all really nice though, they're there to give you marks not to take them away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Half the country have irish this week, european languages next week and the other half have it the other way around methinks

I had my irish oral yesterday...not happy. I spent 15 minutes straight talking about gaa and croke park, she wouldnt let me change the subject!oh well, i suppose i should have just directed the conversation a bit better! was anyone else really conscious of the tape? in our school it had a really loud beeping noise the whole way through! and the clock was ticking...and ticking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Got asked about the basic stuff. She never pushed me for more complicated stuff and i never got a modh coineallach :mad:
    But most people only got asked about basic stuff, was disappointed to be honest because i kind of had the impression that getting asked harder stuff meant u were doing well.

My hobbies,
    what i do on the weekend,
    problems in my area,
    nigerian chap who got deported then returned, - was it right?
    pastimes,
    rules of the school.
    film i seen,
    subjects i do, worst subject. Can't remember the rest, but don't think i'll get the A i got in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

oh my god i would have loved your oral!!!i have loads stuff prepared on it!!ugh im so jealous ne wyas ill just have to wait for mt 15 mins of torture to approach

• Advertisement

She never pushed me for more complicated stuff and i never got a modh coineallach :mad:
    But most people only got asked about basic stuff, was disappointed to be honest because i kind of had the impression that getting asked harder stuff meant u were doing well.
    Don't worry, my Irish teacher said that even if they don't ask you a modh coinniollach they can still tell your standard of Irish. They're gonna know that yo're good and you'll probably still get that A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

I had mine today, was so disappointed. I was well prepared and my standard of Irish is fairly good, been speaking since I was three and went to a gaelscoil primary school. But i was completely thrown by the questions the examiner asked,he didn't allow for any natural conversation to develop or allow me to keep talking on subjects that I obviously could talk well on. The first question I was asked was what will I do today after school. So I said I'd be going to supervised study and rambled on for a few mins. But the examiner kept asking me really specific questions like how much is it, how many people do it, can anyone do it, who supervises, where is it on, how many classrooms, do my friends do it, is it only for 6th years etc. I wasn't given the chance to digress at all. I was asked where I want to go to college and I said I wanted to go to Dublin, and that my brother's there and he likes it and tried to talk about that but he interrupted and asked how does he get home for weekends! I got so distracted and nervous that I had to stop, nearly started crying. Then I was asked what do I think about Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein.................................was shell shocked for about an hour when I got out! It was my own fault really, I just fell to pieces when none of the normal stuff came up and had to try wing it.Anyone else have a similar experience? Or am I the only one? Sob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Dont worry, i had the same experience. I had loads of stuff prepared, and was full sure if i brought sport up id be able to talk for ages on it. But she neva brought it up. And then i got totally nervous and jumpy.really dissapointed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

i spoke french in the irish orals, so it did'nt go too good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

yeah same, had music prepared,wasn't prepared to talk about trad music though,
    he asked about trad music,
    i hate trad music.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DinnyC

i went in2my oral irish the other day. i was asked past times, i z i liked to listen to music... i was asked was i ever at a concert so i mentioned them. i z i was campin at oxygen last year... didn't expect her 2 ask me in "how do you put a tent up??" i was gobsmacked. it must have sounded like i had got up and walked out of the room on the tape! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Mine today. Went really well, no difficult questions whatsoever. All nice questions about me, family, plans for future, pastimes etc. Examiner didn't let me elaborate much whatsover and the topic kept on changing. She also didn't smile at all during the exam but as soon as the tape was off she said I was "go híontach", shook my hand and wished me the best. Seing as I'm pretty much fluent in a school where Irish is not at all emphasised, I was probably very refreshing for the examiner. Time flies and once you've read your sliocht you start to calm down a good bit.

Oh no, that's awful... My Irish oral is tomorrow at NINE and I'm so scared, I'm way better at written Irish - I'm just really afraid that I'll freeze up and not be able to think of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Well one thing I can say is that any pause or gap I left in my speaking was interupted with another question and that there would have been no time left for any awkward silences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

had mine last week and couldn't have gone better. was in there for 25mins! saw him write down 30 for the sliocht but the guys after me didnt see my mark. loads of people found out their marks. anyone else in for longer than the allocated time?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure I got almost full marks in my sliocht, I've never had any problem with them. the general conversation was fine as well, the examiner was really nice - although when I said I liked Radiohead, he asked me "What did you think of Kid A?" which threw me a bit! I'm really glad I had that guy though - they had two examiners in my school, and the other examiner was apparently asking really weird questions like "Do you play the fiddle?" (that was the first question he asked one girl!), "Do you believe in fairies?", "Do you think chocolate can be part of a healthy diet?", "What did you think of the way Alexander the Great treated Darius?" (that was to an ordinary level girl, it's a Classics question) Ugghh. so, yay for the nice examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Oh my GOD.........

Forgot everything I'd learned as soon as I sat down. Couldn't speak for the life of me. The examiner thinks I'm a retard and asks me what colour my uniform is.

I couldn't even remember my colours.

Also, answered half in german.

"Ta mo pulli rua".

Can anybody beat that?

Advertisement