Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does a Repair Improve the Trade-In Value of a Car

Options
  • 11-04-2005 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have a 00 Renault Scenic which had new valves and water pump installed last July at a cost of €1270.
    I am considering trading this in and I am wondering should I mention this to the buyer. Does this type of job add any value to the car (You would assume it will prolong the life of the engine) or should I keep quiet about it?
    Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

i was wondering this too i got my gear box rebuilt is it worth mentioning when selling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you told me that info then I would certainly ask why you needed to replace the pump and valves on a 4 year old car.
    There may be no harm in telling someone and if it was a competent rebuild then there should be no problem. Was there a warranty with the work? Has it been checked since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flips sake! The Golden Rule in car trading is - if selling "show dont tell" unless you have to! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

generally you will never get your money back . some things just make car sale quicker, it may allow youto get the highest trade-in value available but definitely nobody wil allow you extra e.g. 500yoyo's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Mike65 is right. When you're selling, don't appear to eager to offer up information.

Point at your vehicle, say "there she is, you're welcome to do any test you want".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Engine repairs like you mention will not enhance the value. don't even mention them.

Polishing the hubcaps and getting rid of a few enormous scratches might.... but I'd not mention that either.
    If you car interior is a mobile trash heap, they can see right through the night before cleaning, as they can through a car that is well kept overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Given the choice between two identical, older vehicles, I would choose the one with the garage/dealer bills for repairs carried out. At least I'd know it was done and is less likely to fail on me soon. Especially labour extensive things like new clutches, head gaskets, turbochargers etc.

On a four year old vehicle I'd expect it to be pristine (bar a few scratches)and repair free. So a recent, extensive repair would make me re-think. (Shiny wheels and a power washed engine bay are an immediate turn-off ..smells like cover-up.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

unless it an item which needs replacing at a regular interval, ie fan belt, don't mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You spent the best part of €1300 putting your car back into working mechanical order, this is not an enhancement and even enhancements are not worth anything extra when selling.

On a 4 year old car replacing a water pump maybe acceptable but not replacing the valves. Mentioning this will only bring up some uncomfortable questions which you may not like answering i.e. why did a car only 4 years old need extensive work carried out? If fact mentioning this will only decrease it's value and to be honest if I heard this I would walk away from it.

Only mention it if asked about it as it will only be used as a bargining tool by a potenial buyer, and then you can produce the documentation for the work carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 glasgowspremier

Thanks for the advice guys (and gals). I would tend to agree with Mike 65 and Ratchet - give nothing away unless specifically asked - let the car speak for itself.
    Apparently this is a known issue with Renaults around the 50K mark. My normal mechanic was able to tell me that the valves were about to give up before they actually did. When they did eventually go, the repair work was done at a dealership, hence the price. About half the €1270 was for labour.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement