Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

discussion on coalitions

Options
  • 11-04-2005 5:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the other thread going on what coalition you would prefer, I would like to bring up a point a tutor of mine has made before in relation to them. He feels that (and I find it hard to disagree) the current system of coalition building is extremely undemocratic in the sense that coalitions are not built until after the votes have been counted.
    Now, we can all assume that if it made a majority FG and Lab. would go into a coalition, they've pretty much made that rock solid as it stands. And unless something major happens in the coming year(s) FF and the PD's are likely to do the same, given the right situation. What is frightening, though is the fact that a political party (and I'm mainly speaking about FF and FG here) are likely to form any kind of coalition in order to get into power, and even with the current political climate I strongly believe that if it was the only solution FF would go into government with SF (but there are many reasons why that won't be the only choice for some time).
    So, I would tend to vote for Lab. as I feel they are the party that are closest to my political standings, and I would not vote for FF because I disagree with a lot that they've done over the years. However, my vote for Lab. could be one of many that contributes to a FF/Lab. coalition, and while you may say that this will not happen due to different policies, I think it's not too far from a FF/PD coalition in plausability. As well as that, I'm not the biggest fan of FG either, but I know that Labour would go into government with them

So do you think that political parties should make a pledge to one or two parties before the election and be forced to stick to that, or do you feel the current situation is the best we have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

flogen wrote:
    So, I would tend to vote for Lab. as I feel they are the party that are closest to my political standings, and I would not vote for FF because I disagree with a lot that they've done over the years. However, my vote for Lab. could be one of many that contributes to a FF/Lab. coalition, and while you may say that this will not happen due to different policies,

It did happen in '92 Dick Spring blew his changes to be remembered as a great Labour leader when he threw his lot in with Albert Reynolds having expresly stated the party would not go into coalition with FF (he sould out to spend some of the 9 billion that was negotiated from EU). The Spring tide that year 32-ish Tds was halved at the next election.

I agree with your post, I think parties should decide who they will go into power with before hand and then stick to it. Trouble is there are no guarantees. See Dick Spring.

Mike.

Advertisement