Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerpoint & Excel security problem

Options
  • 11-04-2005 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hey i gotta do this project for work and am nearly finished but could really do with some advise.

I've created an Excel spreadsheet with a number of worsheets and charts most of which are linked to a powerpoint presentation using hyperlinks and embedded objects etc to be displayed globally. There are loads of links to be updated, normally this wouldn't pose a problem but the boss wants it that only he and a couple of others can update the data using a password while everyone can read it i.e. only a few can access the excel spreadsheet.

To do this i went into Excel tools and general options and set a password to modify the data, this works but when i go to update the data in the powerpoint presentation every link requires that this password be entered and will try to do so at the same time causing a deadlock is there any way to get around this problem

i was thinking a small basic program embedded in the presentation like a button to update all links, when pressed it asks for a password (something similar to a JOptionPane.getInputDialog or the likes) and if the password is correct it activates the hyperlink between the presentation and the spreadsheet, this would mean that i dont need to put a password on the excel sheet as only certain people can access it to change it.
    how can i do this? Java, vb or some fiddeley microsoft awkward crap solutions all welcome.

this would be a life saver as im gonna crack if i don't figure this out damn microsoft

Advertisement