Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost 2GB of my cap

• 11-04-2005 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    During March, I barely touched my Internet and on the last two days, I decided that I wouldn't waste it, so I downloaded a load of large files.

I use Bandwidth Monitor Pro to log all my bandwidth, this month I'm well under the limit (2390MBs) but I checked UTV's bandwidth usage site and it says I'm at 4659.8MB which isn't right at all. I rang them up and asked what's going on. He read back my bandwidth usage and said 'Yeah, you used about 2gigs at the end of March' to which I replied 'That's March, your meter resets every month...'. He told me that nothing is logged until I disconnect. But I hadn't read that anywhere in their terms and conditions. (I actually knew your logs updated when you disconnect, but had no idea that if you keep your computer on for long periods of time with an always-on service, this company wouldn't account for a problem like this)

I asked him would he fix the problem and take around 2GBs from my current bandwidth. He told me he'd ask a technician and e-mail me back... which I can only assume means 'no', since I don't think there's any hope of them sending me an e-mail... I've sent them a few over the year and they just don't respond.

I'd love that 2GB bandwidth back. Do you think it's my right as a consumer to claim it?

Cheers
    - Tim
    ClickSilver Broadband is an 'always on' connection, which means you can stay connected 24 hours a day, seven days a week as long as your computer is turned on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Dont waste your breath tbh. Its only 2gb

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

i think eircom works similar so they probably all pretty much work like that!!

I dont like leaving my computer on for prolonged periods all the same!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Had the same problem with iolBB and had ~1.5GB dropped into my account on the 1stApril...got a warning in red and everything about exceeding my CAP in 10days or so as well.

Power off your router the last day of the month in the future I'm afraid or they cant get a data count!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm sure that the Eircom one, when it was working, used to manage to figure out the split between the months if you stayed on all the time. It would usually take a couple of days for it to figure things out but I can't remember seeing it putting downloads in the next month that should have been in the previous one.

Your right robinph...they took a reading and then worked out, after a month changeover, the average and split it accordingly.

In this way you wouldnt get stuck with a load of download stats from the previous month....or something along those lines...hahaha!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

What you have to do is log off just before midnight on the last day of every month. That way you'll get a clean sheet, otherwise all the downloads of the last day will be taken from the next months allowance. This puzzled me for several months until I figured it out. I would also say that you could go 2 gb over your allowance this month and if questioned just explain what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

here's how eircom deal with it!

http://159.134.118.172/new_improvements.html

If a login session starts in one month and ends in another, the usage in the first month is calculated based on the difference between the last reading of the first month and the start of the session. The usage for the second month is the difference between the last reading of the first month and the end of the session. This will be reflected on the monthly session detail pages by Start or End times in grey italicised text. For example, if a session starts on March 31 at noon, and ends April 1 at 7pm, the detail line for March will look like this:

Session Start Time Session End Time IP Address Time Online Bytes Uploaded Bytes Downloaded
    31 Mar 11:56:06 31 Mar 21:49:19 213.94.233.73 9:53:13 3074 KB 20 MB

In this example, the last reading in March was at 21:49. The usage between 11:56 and 21:49 is reflected in this line, and in the calculation of monthly usage for March.

The detail for the April part of the session will look like this:

Session Start Time Session End Time IP Address Time Online Bytes Uploaded Bytes Downloaded
    31 Mar 21:49:19 01 Apr 18:59:40 213.94.233.73 21:10:21 4120 KB 17 MB

The usage for the April part of the session is that which took place between March 31 at 21:49 and the end of the session at 18:59 on April 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

thats weird, I usally check mine if im using it on the 1st at midnight, and it always resets itself.

I remember when my brother 1st got it, when we left the bb on form the 31st to the 1st, we could download alot,and then reset the connection, and have the full cap to work with.

Yes it will reset itself.....but the following day could be the time when the last data log gets added.

In other words you get mabye 1-or-2GBytes added to your account straight away!!!

Happened to me this month in BT's Broadband....lost 1.5GBytes!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I wouldn't mind 2GB if that was small compared to the overall cap, but it's 25% ya know? :(

I could download some nice things with that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement