Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esats New Offer Broadband and Line Rental 49 Euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

halkar wrote:
    gBot. does that mean existing customers of IOLBB+esat phone can not get the discounts? I can not find their terms and conditions anywhere on the web though their website is mess :D .

Dial 1800 923923 and listen to what the lady says. "If you already have broadband and line rental with us, you will automatically avail of one of our new packages".
    qBot wrote:
    even if i had been over my 12 month contract i would still have to pay the connection charge associated with the new deal and therefore i wouldnt make a saving

When I called, the chap checked this for me - came back after less than a minute and said NO connection charge for a broadband transfer. If you're already with BT, dial 1800 923923 for the real story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Saw this in a press release:

DOWNLOAD LIMITS INCREASED BY 50%
    - new download limits automatically apply to all customers (existing and new) from today

NEW LINE RENTAL/BROADBAND BUNDLE PRICE 49 (BB 1Meg) or 57 (BB+ 2Meg)
    - new pricing automatically applies to all existing Line Rental/Broadband bundle customers from their next bill going forward
    - existing BB customers who choose Voice will get Line Rental for €10 from date of signup
    - existing Voice (WLR) customers who choose BB will get their Line Rental discounted to €10 when their BB goes live
    - e.g. customers on 8/6 bill run will see new price going forward from that date

CONTRACT TERM
    - new customers from today will have no minimum term contract,
    - existing customers will remain on the contract term they originally signed up to (12 months).
    - Existing customers will not have to sign up to a new contract

ONLINE DISCOUNT
    - online discount of €5 per bill applies to all customers who register for online billing. This is over and above any other discounts.

CONNECTION FEE
    - 90 (BB 1Meg) or 80 (BB+ 2Meg)
    - Discounted by €50 to 40 (BB 1Meg) or 30 (BB+ 2Meg) if ordered online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Sarsfield wrote:
    When I called, the chap checked this for me - came back after less than a minute and said NO connection charge for a broadband transfer. If you're already with BT, dial 1800 923923 for the real story.

Think u misquoted me lad. I was saying that the rep didn't know what he was talking about and that he shouldn't be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

From damien.m
    CONNECTION FEE

As I am currently on the trial....would it be possible for me to cancel the trial now, order it online AGAIN and then get away with paying €40 (BB 1Meg) or €30 (BB+ 2Meg) for my connection????

It seems logical in my view....or will this new connection price be the reduced rate when i have to pay it in a couple of months???

As eircom connect for free the cheaper the better?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

do esat have to update there exchange after eircom do it or do they upgrade at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

damien.m wrote:
    Saw this in a press release:

DOWNLOAD LIMITS INCREASED BY 50%
    - new download limits automatically apply to all customers (existing and new) from today

NEW LINE RENTAL/BROADBAND BUNDLE PRICE 49 (BB 1Meg) or 57 (BB+ 2Meg)
    - new pricing automatically applies to all existing Line Rental/Broadband bundle customers from their next bill going forward
    - existing BB customers who choose Voice will get Line Rental for €10 from date of signup
    - existing Voice (WLR) customers who choose BB will get their Line Rental discounted to €10 when their BB goes live
    - e.g. customers on 8/6 bill run will see new price going forward from that date

CONTRACT TERM
    - existing customers will remain on the contract term they originally signed up to (12 months).

ONLINE DISCOUNT
    - online discount of €5 per bill applies to all customers who register for online billing. This is over and above any other discounts.

CONNECTION FEE

When I spoke to tech. support I was told that the connection had already been upgreded from 0.5Meg to 1Meg even though the new pricing is affective from today. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference.

Has it already been upgraded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

whats the contention on the esat 2mb broadband+ package, i cant see it anywhere on their site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

JimiMac wrote:
    When I spoke to tech. support I was told that the connection had already been upgreded from 0.5Meg to 1Meg even though the new pricing is affective from today. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference.

Has it already been upgraded?

Well thats nice...but I assume you have read previous posts about the speed upgrades over the last month???
    The bandwidth upgrade has been talked to death.

What I expressed concern earlier is over the connection charge as it has decreased for online signups and will it take effect for those still on the trial, who have as yet not payed for it, or just those who signup online from today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

qBot wrote:
    Think u misquoted me lad. I was saying that the rep didn't know what he was talking about and that he shouldn't be believed.

Whoops, careless selection of where to start & stop the quote! I should have been a journalist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

julius wrote:
    As I am currently on the trial....would it be possible for me to cancel the trial now, order it online AGAIN and then get away with paying €40 (BB 1Meg) or €30 (BB+ 2Meg) for my connection????
    I was thinking the same thing as I'm currently on trial too and will be hit with an €80 connection fee in two months.
    mag wrote:
    whats the contention on the esat 2mb broadband+ package, i cant see it anywhere on their site...
    24:1 for BBplus (2Mb), 48:1 on BB (1Mb)
    awhir wrote:
    do esat have to update there exchange after eircom do it or do they upgrade at the same time
    Unless you're an Esat business customer on one of the few exchanges they've unbundled then Esat are just re-selling Eircom's product. Also, I don't know if there was actually any upgrade as it's still RADSL and not ADSL2+ or anything like that. Either way, Esat got the upgraded speeds as soon as Eircom made it available and have now passed that on to all their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knob

I'm on the €47 per month IOLBB+ 2mb package (no line rental just basic internet access)

Whats the deal with us particular customers? Does everything remain the same, do we get new caps, same prices?

Oh, here's one to really highlight my ignorance, whats all this 'line rental' stuff about? I've allways assumed line rental was paying for that little box your telephone/pc plugs into which is supplied by eircom. Do esat supply them now?

As I said, ignorance....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Knob wrote:
    I'm on the €47 per month IOLBB+ 2mb package (no line rental just basic internet access)

Whats the deal with us particular customers? Does everything remain the same, do we get new caps, same prices?

Oh, here's one to really highlight my ignorance, whats all this 'line rental' stuff about? I've allways assumed line rental was paying for that little box your telephone/pc plugs into which is supplied by eircom. Do esat supply them now?

As I said, ignorance....

Ignorance is bliss!!

For people currently on the €47 you will be upgraded from 512k to 2mb download (this was done last week) and your cap has been increased from 16GB to 24GB from today.

If you like you can also get line rental from Esat for an extra €10 per month. Line rental is what you currently pay Eircom to have a telephone line into your house. This normally costs €24 odd per month and you must laready be paying it.

bk wrote:
    Ignorance is bliss!!

For people currently on the €47 you will be upgraded from 512k to 2mb download (this was done last week) and your cap has been increased from 16GB to 24GB from today.

If you like you can also get line rental from Esat for an extra €10 per month. Line rental is what you currently pay Eircom to have a telephone line into your house. This normally costs €24 odd per month and you must laready be paying it.

Certainly is. Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

damien.m wrote:
    CONTRACT TERM

Maybe it applys to phone services only,
    Or is it for BB,
    Can somebody get Esat BB and then cancel 6 months in?

Hah! I'm finally rid of Eircom :D

Rang BT just now and had them upgrade my current 2mb package to the 2mb+line rental deal. It too easy. Only takes about a week for the transfer to take place, line rental now only costs €10 per month and best of all I'll never recieve another bill from 'them' again.

Surely it can't have been this straightforward? There's got to be a hideous catch somewhere?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Knob wrote:
    Surely it can't have been this straightforward? There's got to be a hideous catch somewhere?

It is not hideous, but a small catch is that you can't use UTV Talk with it, you have to use Esat phone charges (which are still cheaper then Eircom).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Goddamn it. Won't be holding my breath waiting for UTV to come up with a similar deal. Still got 10 months left on my contract with them and they STILL haven't transferred line rental over. Do all the other Phone Companies provide single billing now or are they all in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Got a letter today from EsatBT saying they changed their name to BT bla bla and from next bill I will be getting the new prices. Instead of paying €64.13 it will be €57 including phone line and IOLBB+. Niiiiice ;)
    Now me waiting for my 2MB, still getting 1MB even though I am on IOLBB+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

New name, same old muppets, their support mail address from the site is bouncing mails. Ring up and you get 48 seconds of bull**** sales speak from some stock voice model who sounds like an elf who just won the elf-lottery such is her joy. Get through to the business line help desk where there is multiple sighing and 'i don't know's, before she palms me off to my sales rep for whom she doesn't have either a number or an e-mail address.

Any interaction with esat/esatBT/BTIreland/BT administration or accounts personnel makes my ****ing blood boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

And furthermore, what the hell has models jumping over each other and a model smelling a bunch of roses got to do with providing low quality and over-priced telecommunications and backing that up with poor service? There should be a law against stock photography being used on corporate sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

you get another fiver off a month thats 60 a year if u accept online billing, u therefore will not receive a paper bill, very good value now though one has to say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lomb wrote:
    you get another fiver off a month thats 60 a year if u accept online billing, u therefore will not receive a paper bill, very good value now though one has to say.

I think its a fiver per bill (as they quote a further annual saving of 30 euros) which would suggest they issue six bills a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

dub45 wrote:
    I think its a fiver per bill (as they quote a further annual saving of 30 euros) which would suggest they issue six bills a year?

seriously? i must check that but think u may be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

whats the deal if im on the 33 a month currently? (using esat phone service and 1mb bb currently) can i get line rental for an extra 10 euro also, or do i need to upgrade to the 2mb service to include line rental?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m on BB plus and home phone package,i.e. BT bill me for phone calls as well a providing my BB service.I signed up for this over a year ago and I pay €40 a month.

If I want to upgrade to pay line rental as well,it will cost me an extra €17 a month to do so,not €10 as is advertised.

It still works out cheaper than Eircom,but not as cheap as advertised,for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

I rang the BT drones, as their website isn't letting you check numbers at the moment. The girl at the end said that I could get broadband- I told her I already had eircom's broadband (out of contract now) and was looking to change over to BT, with this line rental discount business. She told me I'd have to cancle eircom's broadband, and contact BT with that cancellation number. In the meantime, as my broadband would be out of service for 2 weeks, I could use Oceanfree at 4ishc a minute, if I liked.

I told her I didn't like.
    I see earlier that someone said that BT ought to be able to just switch over without any interruption. Can anyone elaborate on that so I can ring them back armed with facts and info to defeat ignorance and sloth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

@theking
    Here is the text of of an e-mail reply I got from Esat/BT sales when I asked the same question about switching from UTV. This was a couple of days before the new packages were announced but I'd say it still applies.
    Dear Kevin

Many thanks for your email. As you currently have a broadband service, you have two options if you choose to switch to IOL Broadband.

The first option, is for you to cancel your current broadband service, request a cancellation number from the proveder, then apply for IOL Broadband. Once your application is in our system, you can expect to receive IOL Broadband in approximately 15-20 working days.

The second option will allow you to switch to IOL Broadband without any downtime in your broadband service. You will need to complete a DSL Transfer Authorisation Form (DTAF) and submit this form with your IOL Broadband application.

This completed DTAF will allow transfer of your broadband service from your previous provider to Esat BT, without any downtime of service. Once your application is in our system, it will take approximately 15-20 working days to complete the transfer of service. We cannot guarantee the exact date your service would be transferred. Perhaps you could put in the request to cancel your current service at a similar time to applying with Esat BT. You would have to contact your current provider for details on if or how they would charge you after the transfer date.

I have attached a copy of the DTAF. If you apply online at www.esatbt.com or over the phone, you will need to send in a completed copy of this form. Or if you would like to reply with your postal address, I can send you an application form and a hard copy of the DTAF.

As you may be aware, on 4t April, Esat BT automatically upgraded all current and new IOL Broadband and Broadband Plus customers to up to 4x faster download speeds, absolutely free. Future customers will avail of these faster speeds:

IOL Broadband speed increased from 512k to 1Mb
    IOL Broadband Plus speed increased from 512k to 2Mb

IOL Broadband offers a limit of 8 Gbyte upload/dowload data transfer; IOL Broadband Plus offer a limit of 16 Gbyte upload/dowload data transfer.

IOL Broadband offers 48:1 contention; IOL Broadband Plus offers 24:1 contention.

If you reply to this email with the telephone number you use for broadband, I can check the speeds available on your line.

Applications or more information can be found online at www.esatbt.com or you can phone one of our Sales Agents on 1800-923-923.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again with any further queries at email: sales@iol.ie or Free Phone: 1800-923-923.

Kind regards
    Residential Sales Department

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

Thanks a million for that. i shall now attempt to defeat the aforementioned forces of sloth and ignorance.
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

sorry for a slightly off-topic question, but do esat operate packet shaping, charging or limit your connection speed for going over the designated download limits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Has anyone tried changing while still in the initial 12 months contract from Eircom is this a big/costly problem to get around?

Advertisement