Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overheat with a p4

Options
  • 11-04-2005 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I seem to be having trouble with a p4 3.2 Ghz chip

usually idles between 34 - 46 degrees

and last night while on standby it reached 75 degrees causing the computer to shut down totally.

any ideas of a way to fix it?

any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

re-sit the heatsink, and get latest bios from manufacturer website!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It's simple and its a gift,

THERMAL COMPOUND

It's a must for fast P4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I seem to be having trouble with a p4 3.2 Ghz chip

usually idles between 34 - 46 degrees

and last night while on standby it reached 75 degrees causing the computer to shut down totally.

any ideas of a way to fix it?

any help appreciated.

Sounds like the hsf came loose or something, thats a big jump

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are you running your Motherboard manufacturers temp monitoring console? and also another one like MBM5?

I ran my ABIT EQ and MBM5 together when I first built my P4 Rig, and they conflict with each other........I had heart failure my CPU Temp "hit" 95C and the comp shutdown.........and all it turned out to be was them 2 fecking progs!!!!!

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I reckon that a) heatsink has become loose b) CPU fan failure. Have you turned it on since, what are you getting?

As Inquitus, do not run Winbond Hardware doctor, Abit EQ and Motherboard monitor together. They conflict and in my case, the CPU fan stops. I had my PC under full load, went to the toilet, when I came back the motherboard alarm was on, CPU fan had stopped and the CPU was reaching 95'C according to Winbond HW Doctor. The PC was suppose to shutdown if it passed 75'C but it didnt. Luckily intel chips are almost impossible to fry, thermal throttling was the only thing that saved it.

So, reseat the HSF, only use one sensor monitoring program, and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Tried it again and its running at 35-45 degrees and I'm only running the abit monitoring console that came with the board. If its just the heatsink I'll fix it over the summer I've got exams and stuff coming up and I just don't have the time to fiddle with it atm.

Thanks for the help everybody, it's greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Thermal compound, try that before changing board. it will make a world of difference (Speaking from experience)

Webmonkey

Advertisement