Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ping time

• 11-04-2005 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

My ping time to www.jolt.co.uk is 34ms in command prompt but whilst playing counterstrike source on jolt servers i get 65ms.
    why is there such a difference and is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Rates, people using bandwidth, how many people on the server are all factors which affect in game ping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

think of your connection as having 1 "slot" everyone 10 milliseconds. Then you have 100 slots to send data every second. Pinging just uses 1 slot, so ping never has to wait, it can always take whatever slot comes next.

Gaming might need 10 slots, so for all the data to send in a game "update", it takes 10 times 10 miliseconds, which is 100ms. Thats why gaming has a higher ping.

Btw, thats a simplified explanation, but works well i think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the in-game ping using jolt servers seem quite high compared to other servers even if there dos pings are the same, most places that have a 34ms dos ping end up having a 40 or 45 ingame ping but yeah jolt puts it up to over 60 sometimes

then its just a case of bad server. But your ingame will always be higher than dos. For the reason i mentioned above. But, as speeds get higher and higher, the increase in ingame ping will become less and less, because the connection has more "slots" per second.

This decrease in pings would only really be noticeable when upload speed increases. It would also allow more people to play on a low ping on a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Got an average of 29ms to jolt if you want to know.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    Got an average of 29ms to jolt if you want to know.
    Not to shabby, but its no 20ms average :p 10ms is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever though.

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 20ms

jolt are a bit notorious for not getting great pings, Uk2 are worse. What i did to get low pinging servers was i installed "All Seeing Eye", a server listing app kinda thing. Then just pinged all ther servers, and favourtied the ones i got good pings on.

The lowest stable ingame ping i got was 13ms in a UK server. That was a damn good server.

Advertisement