Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - Charges For Going over D/Load Limit

• 11-04-2005 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

hi,

has anyone ever been charge for going over their download limit??

ronan

Comments

Yes. I've always been charged. It peaked last month when I was charged €230. :( Do a search: there's been a lot of threads on this topic before. I hope I haven't given you any bad news. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

once i'm defo up to 16gb i'll be ok! if i stay away from the pc for the rest of the month, that is! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Ive never stayed under 8GB in 18 months of being billed and i havent been charged ONCE.

This month so far with the 2mb upgrade ive downloaded 75GB and the dslstats.eircom.net page isnt even up so i dont see how they could attempt to chage when they are unable to even give you an indication of what you have downloaded.

WellyJ

WellyJ wrote:
    Ive never stayed under 8GB in 18 months of being billed and i havent been charged ONCE.

This month so far with the 2mb upgrade ive downloaded 75GB and the dslstats.eircom.net page isnt even up so i dont see how they could attempt to chage when they are unable to even give you an indication of what you have downloaded.

WellyJ

Exactly. About 99% of people don't get charged, and about 1% do. I unfortunately happen to be a part of this 1%. :mad: I'd hate to see the same happen to you. But if you wanna risk it, then by all means do!!!! :D

You think it might be possible to get a scan of your last bill kenny? Its not that i dont believe you, just want to see it for myself, (taking out all personal data of course)

WellyJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Hey Kenny, how much did you download in 1 month 30+ GB ? and on which package ?

WellyJ wrote:
    You think it might be possible to get a scan of your last bill kenny? Its not that i dont believe you, just want to see it for myself, (taking out all personal data of course)

WellyJ

I can't sorry. I don't have a scanner. :o However, all of my friends have been charged too. Perhaps Eircom are having an all-out attack on Ballyfermot. :eek: However, it does seem that they have a limit. I've gone close to 100gb over the cap, and yet I've never been charged more than €230. What a relief!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

Hmm, well 100gb over the cap is pushing it... so I'm not surprised they charged you... (not saying you deserved it, though).

But I'd say if you only go over a few gb then you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Well I must say that both WellyJ and Kenny007 are the wildest downloaders I have ever come across!!!

I would watch out for an extra large bill next month WellyJ as CAP+75GB(at least) is a waaaay too much to not get noticed.

But I would say that an extra 4GBytes would be fine to over download by...especially given the month that it is.

Personially I feel that a large bunch of iolBB users will easily pass th 20GB mark this month as we have not been given a CAP increase unlike the eircom customers and breaching the 16GB from the 512K days is going to be expected.

Anyway safety in numbers I say....but dont go crazy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I was told once (by a reliable source here on boards.ie) that if you go over 20Gbs, there is a very high chance of you being charged for it. So 75GB and 100GB is very excessive use probably will be charged for if.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I downloaded 15GB in one month before and never got charged.

Stalfos

Was that for Eircom users when the CAP was 8GBytes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Kenny007 wrote:
    I can't sorry. I don't have a scanner. :o :

You can get an online copy of your bill from
    http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/mainPage.jsp

I was told once (by a reliable source here on boards.ie) that if you go over 20Gbs, there is a very high chance of you being charged for it. So 75GB and 100GB is very excessive use probably will be charged for if.

I consistently go well over 20GB OVER the cap, ive never been lower than 20GB actually. And once again i must stress that ive never even been contacted by Eircom, and never been charged. Im not saying others havent, maybe im just lucky

WellyJ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon that the eircom homeplus customers who are now on a 16gig cap could push it to 20gig a month without being charged any extra as thats the cap for the business starter which is essentially the same product at the same price just an extra official 4gig onto the cap. Anyone beyond 20 or 25 gigs could be in treat of a charge and anyone beyond 50gigs could well be charged alright as that would be totally abusing the service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness their's no point complaining about being charged for going over the cap.

- You agreed to the T&C's of the service
    - You choose the service
    - You get what you pay for

If you want to be able to download more pay for a package that has a higher cap or fork out for a service that has no cap at all.
    Why must we keep seeing threads on this subject posted on this board, its just the same stuff again and again. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Kenny007 wrote:
    I can't sorry. I don't have a scanner. :o However, all of my friends have been charged too. Perhaps Eircom are having an all-out attack on Ballyfermot. :eek: However, it does seem that they have a limit. I've gone close to 100gb over the cap, and yet I've never been charged more than €230. What a relief!!!! :rolleyes:

Hi Kenny007, just to let you know, if in the past you downloaded 100GB (or 92GB over the cap), then strictly speaking they could have charged you €2,826 :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TBh anyone downloading so much as these guys with 100gb deserve to be charged.
    You lads agreed to terms and conditions and then blatantly go and totally abuse the system.
    Fair play to yas for getting away with it but its guys like you that will make eircom etc start to take this serious,much like silly little boyracers causing accidents resulting in higher insurance for all motorists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dcully wrote:
    TBh anyone downloading so much as these guys with 100gb deserve to be charged.
    You lads agreed to terms and conditions and then blatantly go and totally abuse the system.
    Fair play to yas for getting away with it but its guys like you that will make eircom etc start to take this serious,much like silly little boyracers causing accidents resulting in higher insurance for all motorists.

Same as what I said, but nicely said none the less :D

julius wrote:
    Well I must say that both WellyJ and Kenny007 are the wildest downloaders I have ever come across!!!

I would watch out for an extra large bill next month WellyJ as CAP+75GB(at least) is a waaaay too much to not get noticed.

But I would say that an extra 4GBytes would be fine to over download by...especially given the month that it is.

Personially I feel that a large bunch of iolBB users will easily pass th 20GB mark this month as we have not been given a CAP increase unlike the eircom customers and breaching the 16GB from the 512K days is going to be expected.

Anyway safety in numbers I say....but dont go crazy!!!

Actually, I think they started a thread about whats the most that people have downloaded in a month, and I was nowhere near the top!!!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

But I bet the others had a NTL/IBB connection???

julius wrote:
    But I bet the others had a NTL/IBB connection???

Lol!! You're probably right. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

WellyJ and Kenny007, 70-100G over the limit, you're not one of the 20 IRMA targetted today are you ;)

Seriously though, that's crazy. I was a little worried last month when my download hit 16.5G with one day still to go (on IOLBB+ so I was only about 1G over on the final day, but still).

100G over limit at 2.5c per MB, wouldn't like to be landed with that bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ronan001 wrote:
    hi,

has anyone ever been charge for going over their download limit??

ronan

I bet you don't know what this is
    upload%2FMainSite%2FGraphics%2FMainImages%2Flarge%20question%20mark.jpg

or this
    click

CyberGhost wrote:
    I bet you don't know what this is
    upload%2FMainSite%2FGraphics%2FMainImages%2Flarge%20question%20mark.jpg

or this
    click

I don't know what the first one is. Is it some kind of Christian symbol? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

what the hell do you download that makes up 100gb??

about 40 movies!
    40 pieces of software and games
    thousands of songs?

am i anywhere near??

then what do u download next month? is there anything left u dont have??? :D

ronan001 wrote:
    what the hell do you download that makes up 100gb??

about 40 movies!
    40 pieces of software and games
    thousands of songs?

am i anywhere near??

then what do u download next month? is there anything left u dont have??? :D

Well i've only gone close to 100gb once or twice. One of the time was my first month, and I just went nuts!!!! :D The second time was for charity (the tsunami disaster). I had an idea that I would make and sell music cds for a €5, and do the same for movies for €10, with all proceeds going to charity. The idea was a good one and I raised about €2700. It did cost me a lot of money to buy the bland cds and dvds :( , but it was for charity, so I didn't mind. And I even got a non-laminated certificate for my troubles!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

actually 100gb is nothing, if I really get off the "bandwidth diet" and let myself go, I'd pretty much do around 150 every month

Exactly, im gonna hit nearly 200GB this month at the rate im going. And would do the same every month if it werent for that little niggling voice in my head saying to be careful JUST IN CASE they do charge :p

WellyJ

• Advertisement

WellyJ,

Who do you get your broadband from????

So your hitting ~100GB now???.....well as long as crazy downloaders like you hit the 3 digits....your provider should take little notice of those of us going a couple of GBytes over the CAP.

Keep it up WellyJ as the more you download the safer I feel..;-).

Advertisement