Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Road safety promo on TV

Options
  • 11-04-2005 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

:mad: I think the new road safety promo is very unfair as it shows a boy racer (modified car) before the accident. :mad:
    It has been proved that drink is the cause of the most related driving accidents. Not boy racers. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JoeCashin

I am not a boy racer, but maybe you are right!
    They are really car lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

the car looked well do :D usual stereo type b....x, :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I agree - they should have done a few of the ads with different drivers or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I agree totally, us young lads are always getting the bad publicity, either directly or through implication in these adds. :rolleyes:
    Also this add, I presume we are taling about the one with the welsh lads and the pizza, was out a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

While it's not just boy racers who are bad drivers - the majority of them do tend to drive like nothing can ever go wrong, i.e.

- there won't be anybody walking around the next blind bend,
    - the car in front won't stop suddenly so I can drive as close as I like,
    etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think the ad is very acurate. Typical boy racer get up, gold chain, baseball cap. I think they capurtured it well. All thats missing is the 88 honda civic.

I think it is unfair to describe everyone who has a modified car as a 'boy racer'.
    My last car had been lowered and stiffened at the front(ie. sports springs), 17'' alloys with the essental wide/low rubber, K&N induction kit fitted and it was a black car with black tinited windows.

The car looked quiet well and I got a lot of complements on it, however I did not speed in the car, was never pulled over by the cops, and am qiet a safe driver. So we don't need to be all painted with the same brush.

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think the ad is very acurate. Typical boy racer get up, gold chain, baseball cap. I think they capurtured it well. All thats missing is the 88 honda civic.
    I think what/who you are describing is a scanger or chav, depending on where you come from, not a 'boy racer'. Weather these lads had a car to drive around in or not I reckon this is the getup they usually wear as they go about their daily business.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

am thinking of opening up a 'male only' insurance company - see how long it would take the feministists to stick a law suit on me...

boy racers are an easy high profile target.. drink?, sure we can't ban that!

nothing ever changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

On reflection from this ad (which I'm not sure that it is the one I saw - is it the one with the kids to the Tune of Pink Floyd, or is that yet another road safety message using the "Boy Racer" image thing?) , I must admit that - in the last 2 weeks or so - the only car drivers kind enough to stop to let me cross the road (on foot) or let me out and not block intersections (yellow boxes notwithstanding), were in every occasion in 'souped-up' cars (or "cars varying from the manufacturer's standard attire" as I like to call them, since all such things are matters of taste :D ).

So there for the stereotype.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    b...x,ur talking through ur hole,gold chain and baseball cap,so thats what all the dangerous drivers wear,sick off the bull**** about boy racers,bring back dev,then we can all live in a granny state :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

camarobill wrote:
    b...x,ur talking through ur hole,gold chain and baseball cap,so thats what all the dangerous drivers wear,sick off the bull**** about boy racers,bring back dev,then we can all live in a granny state :mad:
    You are a boy racer and I claim my €5.

wrong again,fair from it infact,ur judgeing everbody whos a boy racer/modder the same,granted theres a few gobs..ts out there,but not all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm far more scared of sales reps in a hurry, opening third, fourth and fifth lanes while overtaking everything in sight, regardless off oncoming traffic, white lines, bends, etc :eek:
    Because Rep mobiles hit you with much more weight and oooompf than souped up biscuit-tins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

You are all getting away from the point. The most of the road accidents are caused by drunk drivers or drivers with too much drink. The worst time for road accidents is early am. Does this alone not prove that Boy Girl Racers / Modified car lovers should not be blamed for road accidents, through an advert for road safety.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yea I hate the whole boy racer bashing thing. I'm from the old school to my mind a sporting saloon is a dolomite sprint.

However I think some of these so called boy racer cars are excellent. I have seen some civics with all the silly factory lines cleaned up, and running low, look like crouched tigers stalking their prey.

I have seen the micra's with the really bad body kits. However beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the depth of the wallet.

So keep it up guys beat uniformity !!!

Advertisement