Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

didier drogba

• 11-04-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

would like to know what others think about this.

drogba caused alot of trouble last week against bayern and made a goal and scored. he scored again at the weekend. all week ive been reading about how great a signing he has been.

now im sorry, despite what was said above,i just cant get over how much praise this guy gets. against bayern he done as said above but for the amount of the ball he saw he could have done so much more.

he does go down very easily, not just as a dive but i think also because the softest of touches actually hurts him. afaik they paid 24 million for him(?), for that much money i would be expecting alot more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I honastly don't think he is that good. I think he is good enough definalyl for anyone but the top 3, but what Chelsea have been missing this year imo is a goal scorer like Van Nist or some sort of poacher who will knock home 30 odd goals a season with the right chances. Drogba won't be sold, but willbe replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

For 24 million Pats could buy a stadium 3 pubs and 6 houses and still have enough to buy a better striker than Drogba.

He did a job last week about fcukin time for the money spent on him, i seriously doubt he be 1st choice at Chelsea next season, they wont sell him unless they get at least half what they paid for him which noone in their right minds would pay.

Hes in my Clinton Morrison category of a waste of a decent pair of boots.

Amazing what one good season can do.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

my blood was actually boiling when i saw him score against bayern, because i knew people would be building him up. his control is actually comical at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While Drogba is by no means the finished article yet, and also an incredibly dislikeable player, he is a very good one, despite what the dissenters might say.

£24M was extremely over the odds, but you wouldnt have seen anybody but Chelsea pay nearly half that. That is the reason the fee was so astronomical, they didn't care.

Mourinho likes him a lot, you can see it whenever he goes on the pitch after games, he has his favourites who he singles out Drogba is one (along with Frank Lampard). Id say Mourinho likes his hunger, the lad has won nothing of note really, but is no doubt talented, and he has enough talent to become one of the worlds best.

He has started less than half of Chelseas games. Bagged 15 goals in 24 starts and ten sub appearances. Only two players in the top three teams have better records this year. No prizes for the answers.

Add to that the lad has just arrived in England this year, missing 2-3 months with a groin injury in October (?) and has also been injured missing a couple of games here and there since he returned. Not a bad return at all.

To top it all off he has played some outstanding games, and has demonstrated enough class here and there to show that he definately has the potential. Im thinking back to I think it was Middlesboro at Stamford Bridge where he ran them ragged and bagged two sweet goals. I also seem to remember him doing brilliantly against United in the Carling Cup, particularly for Lampards goal, and then of course he was fairly influential in the Bayern game.

Within two years I think he will develop to a really outstanding player and it will look like money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I agree with the above.. I think he wil prove to be an excellent, although overpriced, buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What age is he? He's not that old afair

chelsea wont go a whole summer without signing a striker, lets say for example, they bring in adriano, how many starts will he get next year?

chelsea wont go a whole summer without signing a striker, lets say for example, they bring in adriano, how many starts will he get next year?
    But we are making pretty big assumptions now. I cant see Chelsea going out and buying more than one striker.

And if any Chelsea striker is under threat I would have thought it was Gudjohnsen or Kezman. Neither can do what Drogba does, neither could Adriano.

kezman was very dissapointing this year. with regards to gudjonsen, pre mourinho i thought he was a classy player but lazy at times, since mourinho has arrived and he is under pressure for his place i think hes working hard in games and i think hes worth his place.

admittedly he is a different player completely to drogba. chelsea wont sell drogba, i just feel they may bring in a striker who will be ahead of drogba in the pecking order.

I think Drogba definally could be a great player, but not what Chelsea want.
    Chelsea at this moment in time are the finished article everywhere but up front, all the other players are in the form of their lives, except for him.

Anyway, they are going to buy someone like ADriano and he won't get a chance next season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Chelsea have really become the microsoft of the football world haven't they? Adriano is a class act but surely he would prefer to go to Man Utd...wait a minute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i don't see why any "top" player would rather go to Man U rather than chelsea atm unless they are afraid to fight for a place.

The reason i say this is that chelsea this season have looked a better side in europe as well as in the premieship + you would get paid more.

Ofc with chelsea there is always the risk that if Roman Abram decided to pull the plug the club would collapse under this own weight, but that's just speculation really.

as for drogba, I haven't really been impressed with him. I agree with PHB that chelsea need a top quality goal scorer of the likes of Henry or Ruud, it's the only department in which they are lacking currently and it would be intersting to see what happens this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't rate Drogba at all. At the Moment he needs too many chances to score and at 24 million he was way ovefrpriced. He is good at the physical stuff but thats would not have been Chelseas priority when buying him. Gudjohnsen is a much better player . Maybe in time he will prove himself but to date his overall performances for Chelseas have been dissapointing.

is adriano likely to move???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I think Drogba is good, but not £24million good. He has potential to improve,but he misses to many easy chances atm. Kezman was a dissapointment,but he can also improve-he just needs to get used to things,i'm sure it was different at PSV for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I don't think any footballer is worth £24million but Chelsea have the ability to spend that and Mourinho obviously likes Drogba's style of play. So far, its hard to argue with much that Mourinho has done (football-wise), and by the end of the season the ends will most certainly have justified the means.

Drogba is, in my opinion, a good centre forward to have at times, he can grab you a goal. He is one of the best headers of a ball in the league, behind only Shearer in my books, but his control and ability on the ground is questionable.

Only time will tell I suppose.

Inter want 70 million for Adriano , Chelsea will pay it.

Adriano is the complete centre forward, plays best on his own as an out and out centre forward with support from Martins Ah Chelsea he will have Duff and Robben and if need be Gudjohnsen/kezman/Colei<insert playmaker type here>

Adriano is another Ronaldo (actually possibly better on the pitch in the target man type way) but his off field antics are not liked at Inter hence "grudingly " accepting 70 million.

kdjac

Nobody will over 70 million. That is madness.

fade2black wrote:
    Nobody will over 70 million. That is madness.

I would bet your house on it that he will be sold for that to Chelsea (only other possible transfer is to Real but Inter would want a player +35 million <rumour> Beckham</rumour>)

kdjac

Maybe if Chelsea win the Champions League they MAY stretch to 50 but I really can't see anyone ever going as high as 70. I think prices are being forced back down to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

€70 million? You're having a laugh.

Nobody is worth that much and nobody will pay that much!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

KdjaC wrote:
    I would bet your house on it that he will be sold for that to Chelsea (only other possible transfer is to Real but Inter would want a player +35 million <rumour> Beckham</rumour>)

kdjac

70 million is a lot of bucks for one player. If anyone can pay it is is Chelsea but I would be surprised to see it happen. Why pay so much when no other team could come close to matching Such an offer. Beckham and 35 million= £50 million

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

70 million euros or pounds? I doubt anyone would have believed the prices Real paid for Zidane and Figo before they happened and they were both already at or beyond their peaks. If Mourinho/Abramovich reckon they need Adriano and nobody else will do, then they'll pay the cash, though having had their fingers singed with Crespo they might think twice. While undoubtedly a massively talented player, he's not proven over several seasons yet and had a major slump for a few months after Christmas.
    I don't think Chelsea overestimated Drogba. They could have had just about any player they wanted, and Marseille would have taken a fair bit less for him, despite their bluffing over his value, so IMO they know not just what he's currently capable of, but what he's going to develop into over a couple of years.

It raises an interesting question about when exactly a player is at his highest transfer value - when he's young and has many years to amortise his fee or a bit older and has proven his worth over several seasons, and in different leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I don't think chelsea would pay £70 million for anyone. Anyway, Adriano has said he wants to go to Real. Ronaldo is one of his best friends and he said he'd love to play alongside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Abramovich is a business man. He will not pay crazy money just for the sake of getting a player at the club (£24m isn't crazy money tbf when you compare it to other worldwide transfers).

Robben, Cole and Cech combined cost the same amount as Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Robben, Cole and Cech combined cost the same amount as Rooney.

Interesting fact that.

I wonder how much they'd go for now? Considerably more I'd bet!

B.

David19 wrote:
    I don't think chelsea would pay £70 million for anyone. Anyway, Adriano has said he wants to go to Real. Ronaldo is one of his best friends and he said he'd love to play alongside him.

Why do people think this super-best-friends nonsense is of any significance when talking about investments of tens of millions of euros? If Adriano goes to Real (and it's a distinct possibility), Ronaldo will make way for him.

70 million is his buy out fee.

Unless he asks for a transfer which would mean he would have to have been tapped up(would also lose ****loads of money ), where did Mourinho say he was when he was meant to be meeting Cole :D

Zidane was near 50 million at 29 or 30, Adriano only 20ish.

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Adriano isn't leaving Inter this season, they aren't stupid, they are more than financially secure, why they sell him when they have no need to?
    this is just another rag roumer, like "Sir Alex will sign Sehva" last summer nothing will come of it.

Adriano is going no where for a few years, The inter fan would riot.

• Advertisement

having had their fingers singed with Crespo they might think twice.

Crespo had the second highest goals score per minutes played rate in the PL last season only Henry was higher, when he was fit, and when he got a chance he proven his quality, he was never given a real chance and he was never at full fitness because Mr. tinkerman was rushing him back from injury after injury (he did the same to duff and nearly destroyed his shoulder/back) Crespo is one of the best finishers in the world and anyone who argues otherwise is either stiped or ignorent.

Also Murinho is stalling on Crespos perment move to milan and has for the last 2 and a half months been calling him after every game and asking about his fitness, how he would fel if he came back to london and how he is feeling about Milan, doesn't sound like a man who wants to lose a player.

Crespo is about 3 classes above Drogba and Murinho knows it.

Seaneh wrote:
    Crespo is one of the best finishers in the world and anyone who argues otherwise is either stiped or ignorent.

Or not an AC milan fan, best finishers in the world play anywhere in the world.

kdjac

If he was played he would have played well, he played about 1100 minutes of football all of last season due to injuries and a bad manager, not his fualt.

The fact that his goals per minutes played rate was so high kind of proves my point.

Abramovich is a buisness man who see's Chelsea as just a bit of fun, doesn't care about making a profit, and wants to win everything with them or something, not sure.
    He is uncaring about the money spent, beacuse to him its utter pocket change

I remember peopel talking like that, it was about some guy called Ronaldo

PHB wrote:
    Abramovich is a buisness man who see's Chelsea as just a bit of fun, doesn't care about making a profit, and wants to win everything with them or something, not sure.
    He is uncaring about the money spent, beacuse to him its utter pocket change

I remember peopel talking like that, it was about some guy called Ronaldo

To be honest the Inter Fans weren't too pushed about Ronaldo at the time, he'd been a waste of money due to constantly being injured and he clearly didnt care about the club, the Adriano thing is a bit differaint.

Crespo when he played in PL never looked like the best anything.

Funny thing about Chelsea and there new striker is if they want him they will get him and if for some reason they dont get Adriano i sure Mourinhos 2nd choice isnt too far away, plays in same stadium :D. Odd how people still think players ahve some sort of loyalty to clubs wave 150k a week in their faces and its off "to new challenges" damn quick.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Milan turned down 50 million for Shevchenko last january from Real, and again in the summer, When Silvio met Abramovich last july for a business meeting they talked about Chevchenko and Silvio said that as long as He owns the club Sheva stays, he is like a son to him, they have dinner together regularly and even have had joint birthday celebrations (they have the same brithday) and when Shevchenko moved to milan from the ukraine silvio personally helped him find a house.
    Besides, If Our club is richer than your club and our house is bigger than your house...

As PHB said above if Chelsea wnat a player they will get him, its not about love buddies or loyalty, every player has a price and every club a price for the player.

Doubt it will get to Shev i reckon Adriano is as good chelseas unless Drogba hits 14 goals in last 10 games ................ahhHahhahahhahahahhahahaha

kdjac

Scored a cracker tonight for as much as i think of him, class goal tonight.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

and I was yelling Cole to keep it in the corner flag, another good performance by him. (Cole) Drogs worked ever so hard tonight.

Seaneh wrote:
    If he was played he would have played well, he played about 1100 minutes of football all of last season due to injuries and a bad manager, not his fualt.

The fact that his goals per minutes played rate was so high kind of proves my point.

Whose decision was it to loan him out to Milan and whose decision would it be if they were to bring him back?
    I don't follow your logic tbh, he played 1100 minutes for Chelsea because he was injured and had a crap manager. This year he's fit and has played 0 minutes for Chelsea who have now, in all fairness, a decent man at the helm. It's not like they stuck him in the reserves to get him match fit or loaned him to Norwich. Why, if you think highly of a player, would you loan him to your strongest rival for the CL and risk aggravating his injury?

• Advertisement

havent started this thread i knew he would score tonight! and admittedly he got a great goal.

but i still think tonight was an example of what he cant do, he failed to hold the ball up when chelsea were under pressure and he lost the ball when in good situations.

bring on an italian defence to show him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Seaneh wrote:

inter fans riot?

such a crazy suggestion! :D

inter fans riot?

such a crazy suggestion! :D

Lol

kdjac

but i still think tonight was an example of what he cant do, he failed to hold the ball up when chelsea were under pressure and he lost the ball when in good situations.
    In fairness to the lad, the whole second half Chelsea were pretty just pumping the ball forward. Not to him, just in his general direction. Cant really fault him for that. Its not like he was regularly getting the ball to feet and losing it.

And as for his goal, its a perfect example of the guys class. As Ive said before, he is far from the finished article, but demonstrations like that header tonight indicate he could well get there. Shearer in his prime probably couldnt have headed a ball better.

It was pointed out by the commentator that hes got 10 goals in 13 European games or something like that. Not too bad. Especially considering that hes got 5 in 6 CL starts this year.
    bring on an italian defence to show him up.
    As regards anything Chelsea, it seems to be "bring on whoever is left because we have run out of Spanish, German, English etc teams to do it", so I guess there is only the Italians left. Im sure Drogba will continue to do just as good.

well done to chelsea, however there are holes in that team. bayern found them early on and a sharper pizarro might have got them off to a perfect start. ballack could have done a lot better with his chance and i have never seen gudjohnsen covering a post before! this along with the fact that the conceded three tonight suggests that they will find it hard against juve or milan.

i would like to see liverpool go through but imo i think it might too much to ask to get a result out there,

this along with the fact that the conceded three tonight suggests that they will find it hard against juve or milan.
    Id say they will be lapping up all this that everyone is saying.

They may have conceeded three, but the 90 minutes was up and the game was over. At which stage they had only conceeded one. You could argue that they possibly switch off towards the end of games, but in a cup competition its means nothing once you go through. And if Chelsea couldnt afford to conceed three tonight I have no doubt the final score would have been 1-2.

point taken.

this thread will be concluded on May 25th 2005, until then Jivin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

That was a lovely goal,he took it brilliantly. Too bad he couldnt do that with most of the other balls sent his way....

Advertisement