Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carnivale - Season 2 begins Monday @ 22:30!

• 11-04-2005 11:31pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just heard over the closing credits of "Nip/Tuck" that Season 2 of Carnivale begins next Monday (the 18th) @ 22:30 on TG4. If you ain't seen it I demand you watch it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I agree,Ive already seen it but will be watching again! really cool season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 00Nothing

Wow. With 24:Day Four starting this week and Carnivale next Monday, it seems the Irish networks will be all I'm watching over the next few days. If only RTE could get of their arses and show CSI and Law and Order:CI, Irish television would be unmissable.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

any word on the other HBO production DEADWOOD....

Well Deadwood aint as good as carnivale IMO,but I think Sky One are repeating the season starting this week,if you have Sky. IM more interested in Carinviale and the Wire season 2.

Does anyone know what season of the wire TG4 showed last? Ive seen season 1 of FX289 and if TG4 were to show season 2 soon it would be cool!

HBO=Quality TV!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tvnutz wrote:
    Does anyone know what season of the wire TG4 showed last? Ive seen season 1 of FX289 and if TG4 were to show season 2 soon it would be cool!
    They showed Season 2 already. What's more is that The Wire is on TG4 tonight at 00:45. Dunno what season it is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

ixoy wrote:
    If you ain't seen it I demand you watch it!

:D I second that!, if you have not watched it do yourself a favour and watch this gem of a show

In a sea of mostly crud this is truly brilliant TV

ixoy wrote:
    They showed Season 2 already. What's more is that The Wire is on TG4 tonight at 00:45. Dunno what season it is...

dang,i was hoping to go right into season 2.

umm tonight eh?I wonder what ep they are at,its a great show. Carnivale still number 1 HBO though IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ixoy wrote:

Season 1 Episode 2 Tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

What happened in the last ep of Season 1 in Carnivale? I watched every ep of it but I never got to see the last one. Please tell me.

John R wrote:
    Season 1 Episode 2 Tonight

ah so they are repeating season 1...ummm,dang,repeats of season 2 will probably only start by the time season 2 starts on FX289.

• Advertisement

Season 1 Finale

"...Nothin good has happened since you got here. Not for us. Not for you..."

Directed by: Rodrigo Garcia
    Written by: Ronald D. Moore

Summary

Gabriel waits in swirling mist for Ben, who finally pulls up in the truck. Ben tells him to put Ruthie in bed and not to let anyone in-even Samson, and Gabriel sits on the steps of the trailer in vigil.
    Lodz is waiting with Lila in their trailer. Eventually there is a knock at the door and Ben enters, saying he needs help. Ruthie is dead. "I tried to do what I did before, but nothing happened. You tell me what I gotta do."

A smug looking Lodz says he can't help, but he knows someone who can. Inside Management's trailer, the raspy voice addresses Ben. "You have the gift," it says. "To restore life, you must take a life...You must choose the life you take, that is the way of our kind."
    Ben is taken aback. "I can help you Ben Hawkins, I can give you the answers you seek. I am someone who understands." Management says that he knows Ben has made the choice before.

But Ben insists the choice is not his to make. "If that is true my friend, then why is such a choice possible?" Management asks. "Why are you not like other men? ...It is your place, Ben Hawkins, it cannot be escaped."
    Over in the Dreifuss tent, Stumpy waits for Rita Sue to awaken, holding a revolver. When she awakens Stumpy tells her. "You and me, it ain't workin'." Finally talking things through, the two decide to give up their peccadilloes.

Sophie and her Mother are having their usual strained conversation. "I don't care mother," Sophie says. "I've made up my mind. I'm leaving tonight." She heads outside and tells Jonsey she wants to see him that night, after the show shuts down.
    Meanwhile, a Texas Ranger with a wanted poster of Ben is talking to Samson; Samson and Jonsey tell the official that Ben had been with their outfit, but that he took a powder in Babylon. Jones heads off to tell Ben to hide.

In Mintern, Tommy Dolan pays a visit to the Crowes, and is bewildered to find that he was expected. Dolan says he wants to help Justin, and Justin tells him he wants to use the radio to get out his message. They strike a deal.
    Samson asks Ben about meeting The Man. "He says we're alike," Ben says, and tells him that Management said he can help him help somebody. "But theres a price," Samson guesses. He warns Ben that Management doesn't care about people, and tells Ben that he had better not harm anyone in his carnival.

Apollonia beckons Lodz to her trailer and he places a hand on her brow. "How long have you known?" he asks, seeming legitimately shocked.
    Sophie watches Libby dance, and flirts with her. She tells Libby she is the only one she can trust. Then she asks her to meet her later someplace quiet.

Ben stumbles into town, and in a bar sees an old drunk coughing and mumbling to himself. With great effort he attempts to strangle the man in an alley, to take this man's life for Ruthie's, but finds he cannot do it. He wanders into a cemetery lit by candles for the dead, and sinks to the ground.

Slowly, he pulls out he pocket knife, and taking a breath, cuts his own throat. But as the blood runs out of him, a hand comes out to soothe him and a voice is heard. "It doesn't work that way. You are meant for greater things." The voice says. And over a flurry of visions, he adds, "This is who you are." Ben looks up and sees Scudder, dressed in his tuxedo. "You must make a choice. I'm sorry," Scudder says. Now healed, Ben spells out in blood the word he has seen in the visions, in the mine, in his dreams: Tavatar. He rubs out the "T".

In church, Balthus and Justin finally confront each other. "There is a demon within you," Balthus says. But Justin calmly rejects him, and says instead that there is demon inside Balthus. "All men have sinned against God at least once," he says, holding Balthus and bringing him into a vision. Together they walk in the night, as both wait to see what Balthus' sin is. What they witness is a flashback to Balthus rescuing the young Justin and Iris from the riverbank after the train accident of their youth.

"My greatest evil was saving your life?" Balthus asks. Justin reels in utter shock and horror. "This cannot be...." He picks up a heavy candlestick and begs Balthus to "do the thing you must do, now before it is too late...if you have ever loved me." Balthus raises the bludgeon over his head preparing to strike Justin dead, reciting scripture, but cannot do it. As Balthus runs from the church, Justin lifts his head yelling, "Norman!," his eyes now transformed into black orbs.

As Lodz and Management wait for Ben to return, Management compliments his lackey on his loyal service. "I have a gift for you," he says. "Come closer."
    Libby, meanwhile, is all dolled up and goes looking for Sophie. They share a cigarette, and after some small talk, are soon kissing.
    Later, Jones arrives for his rendezvous with Sophie, only to be surprised with the discovery of the two women in fligrante. "This is what it feels like to be betrayed by someone you love," Sophie says to them both and runs back to her trailer.

Ben sits with Ruthie's dead body and touches her face, choked up. Walking out of her trailer he tells Gabriel he's sorry.
    Brother Justin addresses a packed congregation, now in front of a radio microphone. Snap, snap, snap go his fingers. "The clock is ticking, brothers and sisters, counting down to Armageddon."
    With a silent scream, Apollonia grabs Sophie and causes the doors of the trailer to lock. Then she knocks over a kerosene lamp and ignites their room. "What are you doing?" Sophie screams.

On the radio, Brother Justin begins his litany of the evils of modern man: the savage blasphemy of Darwin, false prophets, Hollywood, godless politicians.
    At the carnival, Ben faces Management having made his choice. "You're wrong," he says. "I ain't like you. God takes what's his, man don't take it back" But God had nothing to do with Ruthie's fate, Management says-- it was Professor Lodz. Lodz, stunned, denies it. "Why are you doing this," he asks terrified.

"Look him in the eyes," Management says, and Ben sees that Lodz's sight has been restored. Enraged, he grabs Lodz by the neck and strangles him.
    "I open my eyes and see a blood sky," Justin says. "Rise up my brothers and sister and take your place at my side."

The carnies struggle to fight the fire in Apollonia's trailer, finally a desperate Jonesy pours water over himself and dives into bus. His friends look on in horror.
    "Take a good look, you son of a bitch," Ben says, as Lodz breathes his last breath and his eyes glass back over to white. "It appears we are of like nature after all," observes Management.

"And together brothers and sisters we will build a shining temple," Brother Justin tells his radio flock. "A kingdom that will last thousands and thousands of years."

And with a gasp, Ruthie jolts awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Handy repeats of Carnivále, series 2 on TG4 late on Thursday nights as well.

Will have to tune in, see if TG4 get the versions with the 'flashbacks' at the start. HBO tended not to include them on theirs at all.

Also, great site on the show worth checking out over at: http://themidway.org/

So did anyone watch it? how great was it? nuclear bomb,face peeling...a lot more? lol

Advertisement