Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Esat bt to eircom BB

• 12-04-2005 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have ordered the homestarter plus from eircom bb. I get a static ip, 2mb
    and a wireless router with the package. I changed from esat bt, because it was consistantly dropping dsl, and was really really slow. If i connected a laptop via usb, and at the same time a pc via lan, it droppped for 5 mins. I have a small business from home, and cant be having that! Just have a few questions if someone would be so kind to answer them.

1. With a static IP can i host a CSS Source server?

2. will the extra 1mb make a huge difference in both downloading and playing CSS?

3. Can i connect a pc & lappy thru the wireless router?

Tnx in advance,

Sub.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

I had the eircom homestarter plus package up to December 04 and there was NO static IP included!!!
    NO-IP can be used to create a virtual static IP from a dynamic IP.

Games wont benefit from the extra bandwidth as they can run fine even on a 256k line(most of them).
    The important factor is speed(ping times)!!!

If you have wireless cards then desktops/laptops can work fine from wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

CSS dosnt run good even with a 256k upload. We (iD immortal Defiance) trialled it on our business broadband line and it was ok for a bout 4 people but registry and stuff after that took a nose dive.

The wireless router has some network ports in the back afaik so your pc is sorted and if your lappy has wireless your set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're changing from Esat to Eircom because Esat's DSL keeps dropping the connection. You do realise that it's Eircom's DSL anyway don't you, and hence you may still have connection issues with Eircom. This could be due to some sort of line fault. However, Eircom *might* be more willing to fix the problem if you're buying their product then when you were with Esat so it may be a good choice. Just be aware that the problem might not go away just yet.

You say you were connecting the Esat router via LAN and USB port at the same time, I don't think that it's designed to work that way and this could also be the source of your troubles. I think the Zyxel router should be connected to either port, but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Hi, and thanks for your replies...

Re the static ip...its not Broadband home plus im getting, its BB business starter. My mistake.

What is NO-IP? where can i get it?

Sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

where can i get it?

google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

www.no-ip.com/

Look for a tutorial on how to set it up on whatever you wish.
    I have used it in the past for an FTP server using ServU and Bulletproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Eircom will give you a static IP address for a once-off setup charge of €50. Call Eircom.net

Hes on Business Starter its free just ring up and get the number.

No-ip is definatly good for dynamic ip addresses, or if you have a static ip and just looking to get some kick ass domain name :p example: my1337place.servecounterstrike.net :p

Enjoy your 2 meg line with 20gb ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Are you sure that's included? I don't think it is. That Starter product is basically the same as the Home Plus. Happy to be corrected obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

the esat problem is probably your router not esats fault! Especially since you are using LAN and USB at the same time!! Why not just change your router?

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Are you sure that's included? I don't think it is. That Starter product is basically the same as the Home Plus. Happy to be corrected obviously.

eircom broadband business starter
    eircom broadband business starter is our entry level business product. It is ideal for your business if you want to experience the power of broadband for the first time and start leveraging the potential of the Internet.

If you are spending more than 18 hours a month, that's 54 minutes a day online, using our standard pay-as-you-go Internet access, this product is for you.*

FREE connection.
    FREE wireless router.
    2 months FREE subscription.
    1 Free static IP address.
    Reduced contract from 12 months to 6 months.

You stand corrected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

yeah, its 1 free static ip allright. All i need to start CSS server, and with the upgrade from 1mb to 2mb, its all sweet! its not the router btw, tried other prestige 600, same thing, when i would go to ring esat, an automatic voice would say " we are expeeriencing difficulties in your area " it was pants. in the middle of a *very long html download, bong, dsl dropped.

SUb

Advertisement