Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mini DV to DVD

• 12-04-2005 8:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'd say this topic has been covered before but I couldnt find any previous threads.

I recently purchased a mini DV camcorder. It also has the function to take photos which are stored on a SD card.. The camcorder comes with a USB cable. I hooked that to my PC and this gives me the ability to transfer photos from the SD card ro the PC. I bought the camera abroad and it does not have an English manual. :rolleyes:

However, I am unsure as to how I'm going to transfer the mini DV content to my PC in order to transfer that to a DVD for future viewing. The camcorder has a 'DV' port also.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 xyz100

hi

depending on your pc setup, you be able to buy a firewire card and put it in a spare pci slot in your machine !! then by a 6 to 4 firewire cable which can be used to connect your camera to pc !! thats what i done anyway.

also you check your machine it depending on age have firewire port on it ieee1394 or little Y symbol should denote it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

My PC is fairly powerful and has a firewire port.
    Not sure if my camcorder has the appropriate port on it. On the side it has 'USB' and another that looks similar called 'DV'. Is that the port that connects from the camcorder to the firewire port on my PC? :confused:

Edit: I also have Ulead Movie Factory v3.0. As far as I could see, that only allows me to capture video using camcorder. It wont allow me to rip video from the DV cassette. Maybe Im wrong. Ive never successfully connected the camcorder to the PC, I have with a USB cable but thats just to grab the pics from teh SD card only. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Loobz wrote:
    My PC is fairly powerful and has a firewire port.
    Not sure if my camcorder has the appropriate port on it. On the side it has 'USB' and another that looks similar called 'DV'. Is that the port that connects from the camcorder to the firewire port on my PC? :confused:
    Yes. That's it. It's a cable like this that you need:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=104097&cks=PRL

Yes. That's it. It's a cable like this that you need:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=104097&cks=PRL

Perferct.
    tbh, Ive never used Firewire and this will be my first encounter (im a usb monkey). What will happen when I connect the Firewire? Will the camcorder show in My Computer as an external device?
    Also, what software should I use to rip the movie on the DV cassette to my PC? Will Ulead cover that?

Lads, sorry for all the noobish questions, but Im eager to learn. ;)
    Thanks peoples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Windows will pop up a box saying "Copy Images from Camera" or something like that. I assume you run Windows XP. Firewire is essentially the same as USB only much faster.

AFAIK It will show in Mycomputer depending the way you have the window view set up. Windows has a movie capture programme. It's a beast to use, but at least you'll get the stuff on the PC.

John

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    Windows will pop up a box saying "Copy Images from Camera" or something like that. I assume you run Windows XP. Firewire is essentially the same as USB only much faster.

AFAIK It will show in Mycomputer depending the way you have the window view set up. Windows has a movie capture programme. It's a beast to use, but at least you'll get the stuff on the PC.

John

Will try that then. Thanks for advice. If i have any problems I'll post back.
    What software do ye recommend to build a DVD with a menu etc? I think Ulead will do the trick, hopefully.

DVD Authoring software can be expensive, Adobe does a good one, the name escapes me at the moment. Google it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

tmpg encoder does a free version of its software also and its pretty good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lump wrote:
    DVD Authoring software can be expensive, Adobe does a good one, the name escapes me at the moment. Google it.

John
    Adobe Encore i think.

That's it.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lump wrote:
    That's it.

John
    Great stuff

Adobe Encore is a bit advanced for me Im afraid. I just need something that will allow me to split the video into chapters, maybe fade in/out at each chapter and a menu.

Advertisement