Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of building a 2500sq foot dormer in south meath

• 12-04-2005 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

how much would the above cost, with an average finish including kitchen, bathrooms etc.
    ive looked up building costs but these are for 2003.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Allow €120 - €150 a square foot at least for the build. Kitchen's and Bathrooms you could get some idea from B&Q etc websites.

Don't forget to factor in Development Levies, and the cost of getting plans and planning permission if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Macy wrote:
    Allow €120 - €150 a square foot at least for the build. Kitchen's and Bathrooms you could get some idea from B&Q etc websites.

Don't forget to factor in Development Levies, and the cost of getting plans and planning permission if you haven't already.

whats a development levy? a contribution to services?

Contribution to local services, road maintenance, local amenities - i.e. a slush fund for the council. Should be available online for your council, and it's normally lower for unserviced sites (i.e. own well, waste water treatment) than for a serviced site (on mains).

Build cost you can only really know when you put it out to tender, although people on here may be better placed to give you some idea of a direct labour price.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Lomb,

I just paid 9100 yo yo's in levies to Meath Co.co. and Im not on mains sewerage or water. That's only for future development of roads and amenities.

With regards to cost it can vary greatly. Depends on lots of things, level of finish, how much work you'll put in etc. Good luck, you'll need it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

lomb wrote:
    how much would the above cost, with an average finish including kitchen, bathrooms etc.
    ive looked up building costs but these are for 2003.thanks

we just finished one a similar size in north kildare.

The only thing for it is to get quotes from builders. afair ours varied by 160,000 between the top end and lower end builders. These quotes were geographically dispersed. Go west for quotes TBH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wobs wrote:
    Hi Lomb,

I just paid 9100 yo yo's in levies to Meath Co.co. and Im not on mains sewerage or water. That's only for future development of roads and amenities.

With regards to cost it can vary greatly. Depends on lots of things, level of finish, how much work you'll put in etc. Good luck, you'll need it!!!

jayus, I paid 300 euro for ours!! And I complained!! fkn hell !

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

yop wrote:
    jayus, I paid 300 euro for ours!! And I complained!! fkn hell !

Thanks Yop you just made my day!!!

uberwolf wrote:
    we just finished one a similar size in north kildare.

The only thing for it is to get quotes from builders. afair ours varied by 160,000 between the top end and lower end builders. These quotes were geographically dispersed. Go west for quotes TBH

what sort of money did u pay and what type of house is it and finish etc, did it include vat and did u contract it out. i dont think i would self build tbh. too much work for nothing in my humble opinion.

Wobs wrote:
    Thanks Yop you just made my day!!!
    Ours was €2000, with €2000 deposit for tree planting. If we'd got planning the application earlier ( :rolleyes: ) it would've been €11,500 for an unserviced site. Luckily the county council elections were coming up, so they voted down the levy. The council are trying to bring it back up to around €15,000 now afaik.

On a brighter note, at least they'll be clear guidlines for who can and can't get planning soon.

Back to the question on price, the only way to know for sure is to go to tender. Make sure you include as much spec as you can in the price before you sign - you'll get hammered for extras.

My experience is pretty similar with a large variation between highest and lowest bids, and there was also €30k between the highest timber frame and lowest block built. Don't go only on price though, check their specs too.

You can do it cheaper Direct Labour, however it will take longer, cost you a lot more time and hassle. Also know people that it's cost more in the end, as they're not project managers - you have to have a good idea of what your doing. I mean, look back at the threads and see how much research and stuff Yops been doing and he hasn't even started the build yet afaik! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yops been doing and he hasn't even started the build yet afaik!
    Starting this week lad, If I can get the plant hire lad to answer his phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

lomb wrote:
    what sort of money did u pay and what type of house is it and finish etc, did it include vat and did u contract it out. i dont think i would self build tbh. too much work for nothing in my humble opinion.

we paid the builder at least 250,000
    finish would have been excellent in terms of the quality of goods used.
    I'm not sure if you're proposing to look after the contracting yourself or simply hand th ebuilder a site and expect a house back...(which is what we did)

uberwolf wrote:
    we paid the builder at least 250,000
    finish would have been excellent in terms of the quality of goods used.
    I'm not sure if you're proposing to look after the contracting yourself or simply hand th ebuilder a site and expect a house back...(which is what we did)

that sounds very reasonable actually,thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

On a brighter note, at least they'll be clear guidlines for who can and can't get planning soon.

What do you mean Macy? Are there new regulations coming in? Or do you just mean in your area?

What do you mean Macy? Are there new regulations coming in? Or do you just mean in your area?
    Well Dick Roche was all over the news about the bill to be passed basically covering Cullen's annoucement from a few years ago.

Well Dick Roche was all over the news about the bill to be passed basically covering Cullen's annoucement from a few years ago.

Damn. I missed that completely. Anywhere online that has details? (googling and RTE news came up with nothing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

I think the "New" much awaited rules have been downgraded to guidelines, which basically means nothing changes.

It is also stated that all one-off housing developments will be allowed in Special Areas of Conservation or SACs as long as what the guidelines calls the integrity of the area is not adversely affected.

That is particularly important for my scenario. Especially as we plan to stick fully to the guideline that calls for "integrity of the area" to be maintained. Hopefully this'll help us along.

Yop, thanks again mate.

Advertisement