Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPD pedals/shoes/cleats

Options
  • 12-04-2005 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I am going to put SPD pedals on my racer.
    I just got shoes and cleats.
    Putting the cleats on the shoes doesn't look quite as straight forward as i thought. Some assistance by somebody whose done this before would be helpful. Any advice?
    (bring em into the local bike shop?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm not sure what you're asking. Is it the mechanical turn the screw/allen key that is causing difficulty or is it the problem of lining up the cleat properly so that your knee's aren't destroyed forever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

uberwolf wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Is it the mechanical turn the screw/allen key that is causing difficulty or is it the problem of lining up the cleat properly so that your knee's aren't destroyed forever?

Um, no the problem is actually getting the cleat onto the shoe.
    The cleat assembly has basically 3 bits: the slivery cleat itself; a washer; a thin plate that is meant to receive the screw on the inside of the shoe.
    The diagram shows removing the insole of the shoe, then placing this thin plate over the holes, then screwing down the cleat.
    But my shoe has an additional plate built into the sole, that is obsuring things. It is moveable however and maybe i should take it out altogether.
    This additional plate has quite a few holes in it, but i don't fancy the only way i can get the holes of the 2 plates + cleat to align. It just looks like the cleat is a little to the outside edge of the shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Image of SPD cleats When I put cleats for SPDs on my shoes I didn't used the plate that is shown in the left of this image.

Can you post a photo of the parts you have? It would probably help us understand.
    Tomorrow or Friday I can dismantle my shoes and post a photo.
    (bring em into the local bike shop?)
    A decent idea. They'll probably get you going in seconds.
    I struggled for a while to remove my flat pedals. Off to a bike shop and it took about a minute to swap to my SPD pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

daymobrew wrote:
    Image of SPD cleats When I put cleats for SPDs on my shoes I didn't used the plate that is shown in the left of this image.

Can you post a photo of the parts you have? It would probably help us understand.
    Tomorrow or Friday I can dismantle my shoes and post a photo.

A decent idea. They'll probably get you going in seconds.
    I struggled for a while to remove my flat pedals. Off to a bike shop and it took about a minute to swap to my SPD pedals.

thanks but i figured it out.
    Turns out i didn't need the plate that comes with the cleat assembly. That other one built into the sole of the shoe had threaded holes for this reason.

Advertisement