Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear changing problem

Options
  • 12-04-2005 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

I bought a Hyundai Accent about a month ago. I was taking a lesson in it on Saturday and was reversing around a corner when a problem occured that I'd had on and off since I got it. The car wouldn't go into reverse. Since other people had been in the car and had no trouble with it I assumed it must be something I was doing, but the instructor said I wasn't doing anything wrong. He said it looks like it might be an oil problem and decided to look under the bonnet. When he took out the dipstick to have a look at the oil levels we discovered that the pipe that holds it was broken(!) and from the look of it, had been since before I got the car. Luckily it's still under warenty so I assume they'll fix it (considering it's their fault). Other people I've spoken to don't think the two problems would be related. I wanted to know does anyone think they would/wouldn't be and if so why? I should also mention that I've had simlar problems going into 1st, but none of the others (sometimes it feels like it's not going into second as easy as it should, but it does go in)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

these gearboxes do give problems on this model but first thing to do is check:

gearbox oil level and adjust the clutch which may just help.

also get that pipe fixed on the engine as you will not get far with no oil in the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

The car wouldn't go into reverse. Since other people had been in the car and had no trouble with it I assumed it must be something I was doing, but the instructor said I wasn't doing anything wrong... <SNIP>... I should also mention that I've had simlar problems going into 1st, but none of the others (sometimes it feels like it's not going into second as easy as it should, but it does go in)

Your gear selection has nothing to do with your engine oil. It sounds like you either have a clutch, gearbox or a gear selector mechanism problem.

How many miles on the car? Is the clutch pedal slack/low to the floor/sudden in action? When you say it won't select the gear, is there a graunching noise if you try, or will the lever not move into place? If the former, I'd suspect the clutch, if the latter I'd concentrate on the gearbox/selector.

You could check the level of gearbox oil (not the same as engine oil). How mechanically apt are you?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you have a dipstick to check your gearbox oil level?
    Or are you referring to the engine oil dipstick? In which case what would this have to do with a reverse selection problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Ratchet wrote:
    also get that pipe fixed on the engine as you will not get far with no oil in the engine

Even I know this much :)

Is the gearbox oil the same as the oil circulating around the engine? (i.e. is there somewhere else I need to/need to get someone else to check)

Nope - separate units using quite different oils

• Advertisement

WRT to your inability to monitor engine oil - assuming there isnt a light on your dash then you should be alright. However, you do still have a chunk of metal possibly in your sump so I personally would be reluctant to drive it.
    Anyway, you reckon that the dipstick was broken since before you got the car. Why?
    Also does this mean that you didn't even look at the oil when buying???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

there will be inspection bolt on the side of the gearbox which will allow you to check oil level.

only automatic gearbox has own dipstick for checking oil level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

kbannon wrote:
    WRT to your inability to monitor engine oil - assuming there isnt a light on your dash then you should be alright.

Dipsticks isn't broken, the pipe surronding the dipstick is, I can still check the engine oil level
    kbannon wrote:
    Anyway, you reckon that the dipstick was broken since before you got the car. Why?

Not my opinion, the opinion of two others that know far more about these things then I. The pipe has a build up of oil which couldn't have built up in the time I was driving it. Also I can't see any way how I could have broken in, I haven't had any knocks and I haven't gone tinkering under the bonnet.
    kbannon wrote:
    Also does this mean that you didn't even look at the oil when buying???

The garage assured me a full service was done on the car before I bought it. I'm a trusting soul and didn't think he'd lie to me considering I was getting a warenty with the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'll assume the Engine oil dipstick pipe is broken. It could be broken or pulled out of the block. Either way fix it. Odd it has not emptied the sum by now (and made a mess of the engine in the process).

I'll assume the gearbox does not have a dipstick, unless it is automatic.
    If manual, and low in oil, you'd probably have difficulty getting it into any gear, including rev.
    Probably a misadjusted linkage or worn bush in the shifter, etc.

Now if it were difficult and/or grates/grinds in getting it into rev, I'd suggest a clutch adjustment or problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Ratchet wrote:
    there will be inspection bolt on the side of the gearbox which will allow you to check oil level.

only automatic gearbox has own dipstick for checking oil level

Hi

Some cars have gearbox dipstick on end of spedo cable. Topped up from same location.
    t

• Advertisement
Advertisement